MangaDex 3.0+1.0: Anniversary Celebration + Reddit AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a Reindeer
VIP
Note: this announcement was made on the website before the forums were reopened. We backported and backdated it here after the forums launch.

---

Hallo hallo and a happy four year anniversary to MangaDex,

While we've faced various forms of threats and troubles in several levels of severity over the years, we've always managed to overcome most, if not all of them, with the love and support of the community and the countless hours of dedication from our volunteer staff. So thank you to everyone who made this possible, the users for their kind words, the scanlators for their tireless effort, and to the gracious donors and affiliates who let us stay ad-free.

This year we had the hack back in early March that left us with the difficult decision to either try and alter the old and undoubtedly insecure code, or intentionally take the site down for a full rewrite. We decided that the best decision was to rewrite the website from the ground up. MangaDex was originally built in a weekend by a single developer, bodged together from the shell of an anime torrent tracking site and slowly built up into the aggregator that people remember. Keeping it running was becoming difficult due to the extreme growth of the site, and we couldn't be confident that we'd be able to address all of the possible security issues that had been introduced over the past three years. So we moved on.

The foundation upon which the new site has been built puts security and reliability as the very top priorities so we can ensure the website is working securely even in the face of extreme growth (we could easily handle 10 million more users). Long-time MangaDex users for example might have noticed that we went from the site dying multiple times a week (RIP Solo Leveling) to essentially no downtime for months. You can read a more technical breakdown of our new infrastructure on our dev blog, which will be getting new posts soon. Developers should be happy to hear that our API is fully documented and updated regularly.

While we are still missing some very important features while rebuilding MangaDex from scratch (aka v5), we've implemented or improved on many features already. You can filter for series by the original language it was made in – by far the most requested feature in the history of the site, primarily by people complaining a site with Manga in its name allowed non-Japanese content. Searching was previously limited to logged-in users only, as the search function was so inefficient it could be used to DDoS the website. Thanks to a complete revamp in how searching is handled site-wide, this is no longer an issue. Search auto-completes results in real time rather than having to take 10-or-so seconds to load a page of results. Group blocks and ratings are making their return in the next update as well as the brand new addition of user upload blocks, allowing you to filter out uploaders who don't upload under a specific group. There's not much left to implement to meet v3 feature parity, and then we can start looking forward to the future of the site and adding more brand-new features.

We know that you desperately want the forums – or more specifically, the comments – back. Believe us, so do we. But before we're able to re-implement the forums, we need to set up OAuth, which is a secure way of authorizing account access between services, so that our forum software can be integrated with the website. After that, all that's left to meet v3 parity is adding back in views and global tag filtering. We're so close to the end, thank you all for sticking with us through this journey!

We hope you enjoy the site, and as always, here are some quotes from all of the staff members who made this possible.
P.S: We have an AMA occurring on /r/manga on January 23rd, come ask us questions then!
P.P.S: We're looking for another API developer, experience with PHP and Symfony required. Join our Discord and send a message in #dev-talk-api if you're interested.
P.P.P.S: We have a cute new shirt on loot.moe!

Quotes:​

Holo - Papa
Happy 4th birthday, MangaDex! Although many things have changed since the early days (who still remembers the 30 seconds load times during peak hours? You open the site, go make a cup of tea and hope that your mangos have loaded by the time you come back!), some things remain unchanged. Through the good times and bad, your support for us has never wavered. So a big thanks to all our readers, scanlation groups and partners for the past four years. The community is what sets us apart from any other manga reader site. The staff also deserve a special mention for keeping the site running smoothly. Miku best girl
ixlone - Administrator
lolis > *
Lymus - Administrator
What a year, huh? Bunch of shit went down, but thank you all for sticking with us. We'll keep improving.
I've been playing vidya and reading mango. Go read Ojiro Makoto's titles, Insomnia is getting an anime soon…ish. Can't believe how many villainess manhwa are being released, never ending. Pokemon BSDP was surprisingly comfy. Excited to no-life Elden Ring for a week at least, pls no delay.
antiunredoify - Developer
Déjà vu, I've just been in this place before
Bottersnike - Developer
Merry new year and happy Christmas
carbotaniuman - Developer
Peace and prosperity in our time.
flare - Developer
🍻 Here's to another year of MangaDex. Remember, Rei > Asuka.
panda________ - Developer
Read the docs before asking (two times, minimum). Really glad to help building v5 API and hope we will have even more features in the year to come!
Plykiya - Developer, Public Relations
Boys should date boys and boys should dress like girls. I mean, it's only natural that they do. Boys like girls, right? They like girls so much that they even dress like them. That's perfectly normal. And what do girls do? They date boys. So boys who dress up like girls and date boys do so because that's how much they like girls. Perfectly normal. Perfectly straight. Just as god intended.
Teasday - Developer
If you need to ping a dev just ping me so the real devs can keep doing actual work. Read 100gf
Tristan #9 - Developer
This year has been nothing but intense, and the omen of at least one catastrophic event each has been faithfully honoured. But it is in adversity that the best things are accomplished, and it has truly been a privilege to work with such a selfless team and for such a loving community.
We will not give up this easily, and as things keep improving with each day that passes we're constantly looking forward. We hope you join us in that endeavour for many years to come!
Love you all, long live MangaDex, and please keep fueling my addition to mindless fluffy yuri.
rdn - Developer
mangadex the old canoot,
weathered another year of cahoot
still giving aggs the boot
heres to another year
to the site we all hold dear
towards the next frontier
Xnot - Developer
There are so many people on the staff team now that the office is getting kinda cramped.
The budget is so tight, I've been coding on a T9 ever since my keyboard broke 6 months ago.
I'm hoping I can get a new one if v4 brings in enough money when it's released, but rumor has it the admins plan to prioritize the purchase of a second yacht to expand Project [REDACTED]Dex, so I'll probably just have to deal with people bullying me on discord for typing slow for another year.
I might have no choice but to sell meguuumote NFTs to make some side cash. On an unrelated note, we can finally repurpose the dedicated Solo Leveling server for something actually good. All evangelion characters, vtubers, and quintuplets are shit waifus btw.
Arvid - Designer
Designing is fun they said …
BraveDude8 - Moderator
Welcome to 2020 Season 3, enjoy your stay. All data is bad data, and moderation is suffering. Mori Calliope best girl, buy her albums.
Daviot - Moderator
2021 Stats: Lost: All sense of time; Gained: Even more Vtuber/Video game/Anime backlog.
Electromaster - Moderator
2022: Interesting Times. Much improvement to the site. Index on novel 55 and still releasing. Railgun still releasing. Here's to another great year for all of us. Keep on keeping on.
Kafka - Moderator, Public Relations
Death to for-profit ad-riddled aggs. Looking at you TMO, the bane of LATAM spanish scanlations.
Cambiense a MangaDex, no estan cansados de que otras personas lucren con su trabajo de fans para fans? Si necesitan ayuda, diganme y con gusto los apoyo con el tuto del sitio… Les prometo que sera una mejor experiencia para todos.
On a kinder note, I'm open to collabos! DM me if you wanna work on manga with cute girls(♂) doing cute girls(♂) things.
woulez - Moderator
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Zephyrus - Moderator
2022, Same as ever: No Fun Allowed.
Henny - Public Relations
Welp, it's been about the strangest year of all time. Moving forward, things might be bound to get even stranger, but I always hope for the "strangeness" to be good or interesting. Things being interesting is what always feels most important
Above all, I hope everyone "takes care"
(Also, read Kokou no Hito)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread