Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Ch. 328 - Magitools of Terror

Fed-Kun's army
since they're in the demon world I would imagine the haunted house that they're planning is not an actual haunted house but actually some type of zoo from earth cause demon's don't really know normal animals thus making it terrifying while iruma is just happily smiling.

Dex-chan lover
Clara's face has different expressions in each panel. so fun to watch :dogewow:

Dex-chan lover
The official English volume uses Battler. So we're sticking with that.
Man, I hate it when the official translation lameasses something because they don't have a decent breadth of understanding of language, and fan translations switch over to using it. I mean, I get it, less confusing for skimmers that way, but I'd rather not reward skimmers, either. :/

For anyone else reading's sake: The Japanese used in Iruma-kun is [師団] which translates to "division" (in the military sense) or "brigade" (functionally the same thing), but it comes with the katakana of [バトラ] "Batora" for pronunciation reading; when you see the two together in Japanese such as [3師団バトラ], it's read in English as "3rd Battle Division" or "3rd Battle Brigade", as with the JGSDF regiments' subdivisions. Note also that this is the same katakana used for "Battra", which is a shortening/combination of the words "Battle" and "Mothra" transliterated into Japanese in Godzilla vs. Mothra, as well as Ravi Batra's name [ラビ・バトラ] and Batra, Inc.'s name in Japanese is [株式会社バトラ] where [株式会社] is "Kabushiki Gaisha", or the Japanese terminology for a publically traded corporation (it's literally meaning "limited joint stock corporation", like when you see a "co. ltd." appended to a company name). This said, I'm also not saying that I can't see how they'd get to "Battler", as the katakana is also used in things like VS Battler [VSバトラー] or the JAF racing team Butler, which also goes by BATTLER, written as "Racing Team Butler" [レーシングチームバトラー] where [バトラー] is "Butler", but in these cases it features the choonpu [ー], to elongate the last vowel sound, rather than end at [バトラ], which is why I am confident that it is an incorrect/lazy translation on the part of the official translators. If anything, a proper translation would be to just use "Division" in the military organization sense.

Dex-chan lover
Idk who tf @tocompetetowin is but they spent like 15 minutes systematically striking 40 comments. fucking weird
Man, I hate comment bombers. Even asked in a support thread for a way to deal with them. So, unfortunately due to how the XenForo platform has been deliberately engineered, you can't block them unless you explicitly do not visit their page (because they restrict who can view their profile to no one, and that disables the core functionality of it) and instead hover over their name in link like in the message above, until a pop-out appears with the option to ignore, OR by appending "ignore" to the end of the user profile URL, so in this case, it would be "https://forums.mangadex.org/members/662693/ignore". This is a restriction of XenForo tech that they deliberately put in (going back to 2011!) and that Mangadex cannot override, unfortunately.

Double-page supporter
Man, I hate it when the official translation lameasses something because they don't have a decent breadth of understanding of language, and fan translations switch over to using it. I mean, I get it, less confusing for skimmers that way, but I'd rather not reward skimmers, either. :/

For anyone else reading's sake: The Japanese used in Iruma-kun is [師団] which translates to "division" (in the military sense) or "brigade" (functionally the same thing), but it comes with the katakana of [バトラ] "Batora" for pronunciation reading; when you see the two together in Japanese such as [3師団バトラ], it's read in English as "3rd Battle Division" or "3rd Battle Brigade", as with the JGSDF regiments' subdivisions. Note also that this is the same katakana used for "Battra", which is a shortening/combination of the words "Battle" and "Mothra" transliterated into Japanese in Godzilla vs. Mothra, as well as Ravi Batra's name [ラビ・バトラ] and Batra, Inc.'s name in Japanese is [株式会社バトラ] where [株式会社] is "Kabushiki Gaisha", or the Japanese terminology for a publically traded corporation (it's literally meaning "limited joint stock corporation", like when you see a "co. ltd." appended to a company name). This said, I'm also not saying that I can't see how they'd get to "Battler", as the katakana is also used in things like VS Battler [VSバトラー] or the JAF racing team Butler, which also goes by BATTLER, written as "Racing Team Butler" [レーシングチームバトラー] where [バトラー] is "Butler", but in these cases it features the choonpu [ー], to elongate the last vowel sound, rather than end at [バトラ], which is why I am confident that it is an incorrect/lazy translation on the part of the official translators. If anything, a proper translation would be to just use "Division" in the military organization sense.
I mean, while I understand where you're coming from and sympathize with favoring accuracy over localization, the official japanese side does also use "battler" to romanize the word. so if the english anime uses it, the english manga (which doesn't shy away from using translation notes to explain names and such) uses it, AND japanese products featuring english text use it... it seems very likely that it's intended to be that way. maybe someone somewhere along the pipeline thought that "batra" was too esoteric and "battler" conveyed the intention well enough?

Dex-chan lover
I mean, while I understand where you're coming from and sympathize with favoring accuracy over localization, the official japanese side does also use "battler" to romanize the word. so if the english anime uses it, the english manga (which doesn't shy away from using translation notes to explain names and such) uses it, AND japanese products featuring english text use it... it seems very likely that it's intended to be that way. maybe someone somewhere along the pipeline thought that "batra" was too esoteric and "battler" conveyed the intention well enough?
Didn't read what I wrote, huh?

Dex-chan lover
Man, I hate comment bombers. Even asked in a support thread for a way to deal with them. So, unfortunately due to how the XenForo platform has been deliberately engineered, you can't block them unless you explicitly do not visit their page (because they restrict who can view their profile to no one, and that disables the core functionality of it) and instead hover over their name in link like in the message above, until a pop-out appears with the option to ignore, OR by appending "ignore" to the end of the user profile URL, so in this case, it would be "https://forums.mangadex.org/members/662693/ignore". This is a restriction of XenForo tech that they deliberately put in (going back to 2011!) and that Mangadex cannot override, unfortunately.
I'm looking at the rest of the comments and I accidentally summoned them, whoops

Double-page supporter
Didn't read what I wrote, huh?
in fact I read it twice, and then a third time because the second reading made me go "wait a minute, what does this even have to do with iruma-kun." what the godzilla franchise did, how an american economist's name is romanized, and the japanese name of some company all have absolutely nothing to do with the role of the word in this story. the only thing remotely relevant is the military context, and while interesting, it in no way proves that "battler" is wrong and "batra" is right and everyone on the official side is just lazy.

yes, the english word "battler" would generally be written in japanese as バトラー. maybe the author intended for it to be "battler" but wrote it as バトラ because she thought バトラー would be confusing to her japanese readership, who would be more likely to interpret it as "butler." whatever the case, everyone whose opinion has any weight in the matter has agreed that, in the context of this manga, the word that's written as バトラ in japanese should be written as "battler" in english. how it's romanized in other situations has no bearing on this.

Users who are viewing this thread