Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Vol. 17 Ch. 143 - Heartfelt Cooking Lesson

Fed-Kun's army
Everyone either says Opera is "genderless" or a woman... However, when you watch the Anime she/he is voiced as a dude... So, it totally ruined my image of her/him.

It makes no sense that Iruma does not know how to cook because he was cooking meals for Bachiko when he was her servant

Fed-Kun's army
@tblst Fair nuff.. Also, I don't really know what you mean with "This is one reason why you watch sub." as I watch nothing but eng subbed not dubbed.

Dex-chan lover
@codydub03 I assumed you might've watched the English dub since Opera is indeed voiced by a man there. Ignore it if that's not the case.

Fed-Kun's army
@tblst Npnp, I also didn't know the VA was a woman, tbh she sounds like a guy xD So, thanks for pointing that out.

@tblst @codydub03 Some males in animes have a female voice actor, Goku from Dragon Ball, Luffy from One Piece... Therefore the voice actor sex is meaninless for the character sex identification, he looks like a dude from his clothings/upper body form, and i haven't seen an ambiguous looking character in this series so far apart from the monsters like characters.

Dex-chan lover
@Zaras Those features aren't distinctive enough to be decisive. Formal wear itself tends to have excess material at the shoulders, making them thicker at the top regardless of the wearer's sex. This manga is also known for its unique characters, so the mere fact that there is no other character like Opera exist is, by itself, not a convincing argument. Moreover, female voice actors are used typically for very specific reasons: In the case of Goku and Luffy, the voice actresses were chosen because the characters they represent are young, and because they have not experienced their voice change. (In Goku's case, the subtle depiction of his voice change from childhood through puberty to adulthood just isn't feasible to attempt). This is, however, not the case with Opera since Opera is a fully grown individual; Opera's voice actress intentionally deepens her voice, which furthermore contradicts the typical rationale for using female VAs, but instead emphasizes the androgynous nature of Opera's character. Overall, I don't think anything we've been shown so far indicates Opera's sex, nor do I think the mangaka intends to reveal it to us anytime soon.

Aggregator gang
@tblst actually, on chapter 80, Clara said "girls only party", which heavily implies that Opera is a girl.

Dex-chan lover
@Scrwd You make a shaky assumption that chaperones were included in that statement. A "girls-only" group could very well refer to the fact that all the girls of the misfit class were gathered in Opera's team, irregardless of Opera's own gender. Using that as evidence is as flimsy as guessing Opera's gender outright.

Iruma adding ingredients
YellowishEmotionalCurassow-size_restricted.gif

I feel like the people in this manga, or maybe real life, the person who you love/like the most will bring out your best!!

Users who are viewing this thread