Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Vol. 20 Ch. 177 - Together with a Friend

Fed-Kun's army
Oh! I know that feeling (assuming this isn't an actual confession lol)! Finding someone you just have a kind of CONNECTION with, that just kind of clicks. It's not quite family, but it's just as intimate and yet different from romance. I always thought of it as like a "Kindred Spirit" kind of feeling, but Soulmate would work - though more of a Soul-"Mate" lol.

I love this series so much, and I'm so happy for Iruma who has grown so much.

Double-page supporter
NOW THIS IS THE SHIP I CAN GET BEHIND

I SHIP IRUMA WITH AZZ, CLARA, AND AMERI AND YOU CANT STOP ME

If the credits page is true then soulmate is probably one of the most misleading choices. It seems like dearest/best friend or partner would have been closer to the intent? Soulmate (in the context it's generally used in) makes it sound like he's declaring his love for Azz and Clara, while almost every other possible choice would have been a declaration about the strength of thier friendship.

For being a filler/Inbetween arc, this chapter deserves a lot of recognition. It highlights the character development in Iruma and Azz. It's so satisfying to see it too. You see Iruma growing alongside his ranks. He's not the skittish boy from the beginning of the series. And you also see Azz realizing that he can't keep acting like Iruma's guardian and needs mature. Before, we saw him try to get stronger for the sake of Iruma, but his meeting with Kirio shook him up. Now he's reaffirmed what is important to him and is moving forward.

Dex-chan lover
I am very firmly on team Amelie.

But this chapter made me say, 'You go with that big gay enegy, Azz and Iruma!'

My god, this was heartwarming. It makes me look forward to the eventual disclosure of Iruma's species knowing that how its handled will be so freaking awesome.

Also, Bread slice dawgs is now what I'm going to call myself and my spouse.

Dex-chan lover
@Blackheart9009
I don't agree, love isn't always on romantic side, and indeed they three love each other

Soulmate is a great word to describe them

Group Leader
"We're besties"
"We're bros"
"We're homies"
"You're my nigga"
are all more accurate

Double-page supporter
I think bosom friend has a nice ring... but concubine is more accurate xD

Dex-chan lover
I'm all for Team Soulmate. I've associated the term with "someone who is a part of you; someone whose absence would mean losing an significant portion of yourself."
The art implies that Iruma wants to verbalize a term closer than "friend," but also one too embarrassing to say out loud in public. Can't see how any of the other options could capture the essence of an embarrassing "best friend" word/phrase.

Dex-chan lover
@Blackheart9009 Well it's really more like how words like "nakama" can come off as "friends," "family," or "comrades," but none of the three English words are actually quite right because there isn't a good direct translation for the word. Similarly, this word could mean something more like "fated friend," "partner," "soul brother," etc. but none of them really achieve quite the right meaning to what the term is meant to mean. It's really one of the tough things about translation is that the meaning of words and phrases can very easily be lost in the process due to a lack of proper direct translations (like how love can be translated into Japanese in three different ways.)

going with best friends was the broke version. Soulmates is absoluely the best way to tug at my heartstrings, you geniuses

Users who are viewing this thread