Man Drowning in a Veil - Ch. 20

Group Leader
Dammit this story loves to kick me in all the anxiety and depression feels. It's perfect. TTVTT

Man the "it's not your fault" hit me a little too hard. Never thought I'd tear up over something like this.

Group Leader
@givemersspls i debated changing it to "you're not wrong" while TSing because of the feeling it gives in english, but i think the intention of "different" comes off differently in korean/japanese than it does in english. i'm imagining something like "don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you" rather than "don't worry, you're the same as everyone else".

in japan and korea, "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down," and being "different" equals "needing to be fixed" to maintain social order and unity through conformity (not every person thinks this way obv, just as a general societal standard). so if you substitute the words there, the feeling is more like "you don't need to be fixed," "there's nothing wrong with you," "you aren't bad," etc.

though, i get the feeling like thats something you learn from years of immersion into the language and its structure and their culture etcetc... it's a little inaccessible to casual readers or people for whom english isnt their first language, as well as for those that don't know much about japan or korea.

ANYWAYS like i said, i thought about changing it, but it's not my call to make on things like this, and i understood it for what it meant, so i left it alone.

(i totally get u abt taking it too srsly, i do too lmao)

Group Leader
@givemersspls
Like @bicyclebastard said, being different in korea/japan isnt how it is in somewhere like the US. being different can lead to heavy bullying or isolation.
And regarding your first statement about whats wrong with a flower prince, its that the black snake wants to become a flower princess, not a flower prince. Nothing wrong with a flower prince, thats just not what he wants to become.
It's hard to imagine if ur living in the west but the east is a lot more strict and theres a hell lot more sexism. Coming out as LGBTQ+ in the east would be extremely difficult. I checked and my translation is accurate, but it's just that being different has a more negative connotation. Just like how ppl who get bullied arent normal ppl. Its the ppl who stand out in a way that other ppl dont like.

Double-page supporter
this little fluffy pink mustache bear really got me out here crying actual tears

I need merch of these adorable characters from the pink bear story ❤️❤️❤️❤️😍😍😍😍🙏

Group Leader
@givemersspls
I see your point but it was not a translation issue. I translated it literally (word for word) and its a pretty simple statement. But translating it in a way that regular readers could easily understand would be stretching the meaning of the raws. And I stand by keeping to the raws rather than Englishifying it. (other translators may be different but thats just how I, personally, work)

Users who are viewing this thread