Manga de Yomu Genji Monogatari

Cal

I've read the full Seidensticker English translation a couple of times and random parts many as well as lots of commentary. I think this is a good abridged edutainment style version. Maybe this is why the current rating isn't so high. But it's good for what it seems to be aiming for especially considering the quality of the art.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah it's really a "this happens" version of the events of the work, which really isn't that good since the politics is never really the interesting part. To me the true appeal of the work resides in the multiple affairs that are glossed over in the first chapters, how each of the women are different (Minamoto-kun Monogatari explains this very well) and thus how Genji has to adapt all, as well as the sentimental side which is really brushed over.
The education side of this manga is however really good, even though it lacks "movement" and the character design are really classic manga and thus forgettable, it shows a window into another time. I learned a lot about the period that made me understand the original work better.

Contributor
Worth a read, worth a buy. Read the original I several translations, this is actually SUPER close to the original in terms of plot and saves you hours if you're not a long classics kinda peep. https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00LVR5U06/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

(Inuyasha's main cast and character dynamics are based on this classic... But, Rumikoed, which makes everything BETTER.)

The art is beautiful. But in the views of a modern person... I'd have to say... the old period was WILD so much incest, r*pe, pedophilia all around

Users who are viewing this thread