Manga or Manhwa/Webtoon

Dex-chan lover
From the looks of it, seems like webtoon styled comic have a quite a big impact on the manga industry. Personally, what style do you guys prefer, manga like where you read it horizontally or webtoon like with a fully vertical read, and whats your general opinion regarding the difference in artstyle of the two

Group Leader
I don't have a heavy preference, it depends entirely on the author's storytelling through visuals. Like, some genres work better than others in the long strip. I've found that action sequences in particular are difficult to pull off vertically, though some manage. However I do find it easier to read digitally when it's in long strip. Like, some manga have those long panels where you have to scroll down to read something and then scroll back up to read the next panel. Would be perfectly fine reading that as a physical book, but doesn't work as well as a digital medium. Thats kinda what I see the long strip format being particularly useful for in the modern world, now that physical paper books are becoming obsolete, and they're extremely easy to navigate on small mobile platforms especially which seems to be what everyone uses anymore for all their online needs. (Me though, I'll be dead in the cold hard ground before my phone fully replaces my laptop. I want my big screen.)

Now what I have a real opinion on is the monsters that upload an opened up 2 page spreads as one page, requiring me to bounce up and down the whole way through to read the damn thing lol.

It doesn't really matter to me. As long as the story is interesting and the author could keep it that way to the end, I don't mind if It has a ton of plot holes or the art is crappy. I did in the past look down on webtoons but ReLIFE changed my perception of them.

Manhwa comedy makes me cringe for I don't know why, and I almost only read comics for comedy. As for webtoons, well that one just depends on the author. I always take it off native because I find it annoying to keep scrolling to read more, but the view is easily edited so it's not a problem. For the most part I don't like reading full color, but that's because I'm used to black and white, web comics are a different story though. Long story short, webtoons are the only Korean stuff I can read. I could read manhwa if I seriously tried, but I haven't had any reason to.

Users who are viewing this thread