MangaDex Merchandise: Mouse Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in time for me, actually was about to go looking for a new mousepad/mat.

Heck with the drama, I want a cat-mouse mat. I've been around long enough to remember when Doki started up and probably still have a few burned on CD somewhere.

Group Leader
@firefish5000
The navy seal thing is a copy pasta meme, it's not meant to be taken seriously, however it is an odd choice in meme to post randomly with no context.

Contributor
I actually support this, as long you're not steal the others creativity and stay original.
But, Because recent events, Your reputation was plumetted....
I think. It's not good idea to propse this merch, this same as pouring oil into fire.

Really? That entire thing is a meme?
I thought... . memes are supposed to be shorter (and less violent) than that.

On a more related note, Waiting for opai-pads for MD. (are those planned?). Well, TBH, I never use cushiony mouse-pads, but I think I could one as an office decoration.

--Edit: Ah. Already done. Thought it was just Doki that had done it. I'll get them next time. Thinking of getting the Totoro cat one this round

is a Reindeer
VIP
>NSFW option when?
@Perim As soon as NSFW fanart is given to us or we commission it

>Ply option when?
@Rei-is-Lei As soon as fanart of myself happens or until I draw it myself

>BTW the mousepads are kickass!
@dyedAtWork Thanks qwq Was worried people wouldn't like the designs

>I've been around long enough to remember when Doki started up and probably still have a few burned on CD somewhere.
@RN571 I never got to order mouse pads during Doki's first two runs so I'm happy I can at least buy them this time...

>Waiting for oppai-pads for MD. (are those planned?).
@firefish5000 @421cookies We've sold oppai-pads before... maybe next time

probably still have a few burned on CD somewhere.

Let me correct myself. I realized I actually still have both Purezza and Sasameki Koto on one of my backup drives...

...still gonna get a cat-mouse mat

Miku best girl
Admin
@DhruboZ
Can post to India, price will be within the stated range.

@CoolOtamegane

We debated to go ahead with this announcement or not. The drama was intentionally timed to coincide with this announcement. We decided to go ahead with this because at the end of the day, we have nothing to hide and the community were very interested in this idea when we brought it up previously.

Group Leader
@firefish500, yeah it's an old semi-obscure 4chan meme. It's basically just shitposting. Usually you're supposed to make minor edits to it to fit the situation, because the point of it was this original post was so grossly full of self flattery and absurd claims to make the op look like some tough guy that people began to mock it by altering the text to be like, "I'll have you know I'm a level 90 arc mage with 1500 hours in raids".

Anywho, Idk why people think mangadex selling original content of their own property to maintain server costs is wrong. Yet, they believe a scanslator essentially selling property that doesn't belong to them for profit (no matter how small that profit may be), without giving anything but maybe the 10 bucks it costs for them to buy a raw tankoban once (if they even actually buy them at all) is totally cool. I just don't get that logic. I respect translators and such, bc without them there's a lot of manga that we would never read simply because the mainstream official sources wouldn't take the chance on, but I also am fully against art theft. Scanslation is both a legal and moral grey area. Any group that is making it their full time or even part time job to translate without permission is stealing from the author imo. It's already questionable enough to put out for free what the mangaka worked hard on, but if there truly isn't an official source or any reasonable way for foreign audiences to give money to said mangaka anyway, eh it can slide. I don't mind a group asking for a buck or 2 to buy the raws or keep up their own website's server costs, but any and all money outside of that should be funneled back to the author of the manga. It's a hobby, not a job. If you want to be paid for your translation, go apply with Viz or whoever else is an official source of -insert your language here- translated manga or reach out to the mangaka to make sure they get paid for the work they put in. I just don't think people talk enough about the mangaka. They think the translators are the top dogs deserving of the most recognition and praise, but they really aren't. It's the actual authors themselves who are creating the stories we love to begin with who should be the top priority.
I stand with Mangadex, they ain't doing anything wrong by selling their own mascot they legally own and created (or paid someone to create/was gifted)
((Though I say that, I really don't have a use for a mousepad lol, stationary trackball mouse master race. @plykiya I assume yall have ideas for further products should this trial product go well, are something like stickers on that list?))

Dex-chan lover
You know, i might not buy this but im all in for the idea. But last week we just had a huge scandal and according to reddit its not over yet. Like maybe postpone it a bit until things died down and starts to settle so that things wont escalate further.

Contributor
@ABCsOfLife
Gorillas tend to throw poop, I guess he just did what he normally does...

Oppai mats for lyfe!

While I would have in the past been more than happy to support mangadex, the timing of this announcement leaves me with nothing but a bad taste.

You all even acknowledge how awkward this is in the post itself.

You spend a day criticizing groups for having patreons and then the very next day release a merchandise store. Did nobody think that maybe it would have been a good idea to delay, and not just dump a thing of gasoline on the fire?

Dex-chan lover
@bees There's a world of difference between running a patreon for illegal activity (scanlating) and opening up a shop with your own merchandise.

I mean this is taking money to fund hosting the product of that illegal activity so I'm not really sure what the difference is if that's what you're focusing on.

I'm also not saying that either group of people are right or wrong on this. I love Mangadex and will continue using it but the timing of this is just comedically bad. A merchandise shop with original art is a fantastic idea but this is one of the worst days they could possibly announce it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@bees posted:

A merchandise shop with original art is a fantastic idea but this is one of the worst days they could possibly announce it.
We really didn't have much of a choice in the matter, since the shop was actually announced semi-privately a day before that thread was posted as mentioned in the OP. The link was already out there, so if we had changed our plans, we would be sitting here with the shop link being posted all over the internet while we're pretending it's not there. Who knows what people would've thought we were doing.

In short: announcement time bad, not announcing worse

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@bees
As Holo said, yesterday was the date that we originally decided to launch the shop after giving Group Leaders and Power Uploaders a chance to test it out.

We decided to go ahead and announce it anyway despite the goings on in the other thread. We thought it would look bad if we backed away from our commitment to launch since we'd been talking about merch for months. We have nothing to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread