MangaDex Merchandise: Mouse Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your community driven site is losing all the people who contributed and you are left with 12 year old admins who don't even scanlate and have literally no activity besides arguing on forums but it's okay because you have anime mouse pads

Nou

Dex-chan lover
Bruh you just posted cringe with that long ass wall of text, also if you are so afraid of comments being edited just quote it in your one.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@FrostBlood
> Making money??? You think scanlators make any notable money?? Anons patreon donations alone from solo leveling were 2k a month, but all of that went right back into hiring a shit ton of staff to pick up more projects.
Sure. They said it themselves. They make enough money to make a living. Patreon isn't just their only source of revenue, they have ads on their site as well.

>Also what's wrong with wanting to make money?
People generally frown upon the act of making a profit off of the original author's work while the author receives none of it. Scanlation only exists because of the person who drew the story. Becoming officially licensed is a step towards sharing things with the author, which is what Meraki has done for some series.

>They could use the time to do actual work, play video games, have fun with friends, but they sit down and crank out chapters
No one is forced to scanlate. They do it for a living, not because they feel a responsibility to do it.

I tried to understand your last paragraph but I couldn't, sorry.

>You are left with 12 year old admins who don't even scanlate
We've been scanlating longer than Meraki has existed and before MangaDex has existed. I understand you're frustrated, but this statement is just factually wrong.

I haven't reported it yet, but there is a (low priority) numbering bug with your css that will soon affect firefox users, which is prevalent on the shop ATM.
Discussion on Mozilla, where they announced the change is intentional: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1545746
Spec they are conforming to: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-lists-3/#list-item-counter
Suggestion to fix:
Change theme.css from
Code:
ol.rules,
ol {
 counter-reset: item
}
to
Code:
ol.rules,
ol {
 counter-reset: list-item item
}
Other affected pages: Manga comment pages. eg. https://mangadex.org/title/21562/kusuriya-no-hitorigoto/comments/

Not a big deal, but your shop instructions start with a #4 and end with a #10 for me bc of it.
image.png

@5 comments down, What the hell man? We don't have to report a comment when the commenter @mentions the moderators do we? Death threats, even in a completely incohesive paragraph like that, is not tolerated here at all.
Its post like this that will spark the conspiracy theory that KM started attacking the site when they noticed they lost in the Alexa rankings.

This isn't worth arguing... Anon makes a living from commissioned series. He doesn't make enough to run dozens of projects on his own. He takes few commissions (often enough to live and pay bills). Almost all Meraki uploads are donation run or self funded. The stuff he gets paid for isn't the massive profit you claimed. You link a thread where someone randomly claims he makes 4k a month and pockets it with no proof. He admits he makes a living off his work but very specifically says it's because he lives from his editing and translation work not his scans. Also even if 4k a month for Meraki is what they make, that's not liveable in most of the world. I say this because that is allegedly his entire income, part of which goes into paying teams, then hosting website, then rent, food, bills, and taxes. He and celes are joint income because they are actually married in real life. Even if they weren't he would still be making less than a liveable income. I have handled finances for a lot of scan teams, trash (met dru irl, Allen didn't want to meet because he doesn't accept donations and chooses to keep anonymity for the most part) and have coordinated a large amount of members and groups. If they were actually making bank off this why the fuck would they not be picking up millions of series and paying tons of people?

People frown on a lot of things but you seem like a hypocrite for asking for donations and selling mouse pads to host a site that doesn't own ANY of the projects uploaded here. This post had comedic timing because after a shit storm over donations and so on resulting in the major attractions of the dex being taken back you say "yeah we need more donations to keep the server running but if you don't want to donate you can buy our low effort anime mouse pad". Your site accepts donations when it is just a collection of illegal uploads that the scanlators don't own and you sure as fuck don't own.

Most don't do it for a living, and anon said I make a living off what I do and deliberately mentioned that the stuff he makes money from is legal editing and translation work, and the highly popular series that he doesn't own are often self funded or donation funded. Cherry pick facts all you want, I don't care.

Also that was a meme I sent anon and then decided to upload. I don't care how long you've been doing this but it seems youre salty you don't make any money from it, since your releases are exceptionally niche and many are nowhere near as popular as any of the series anon worked on. You say scanlators are bad and asking for money is bad, then counter with I KNOW BETTER I'VE BEEN HERE LONGER AND DONE MORE SERIES.
Also scanlation is almost never about profit. I've tried to commission champion and even give them free staff for certain projects, offering to pay their fees in exchange for faster releases, they declined all offers. They don't really ask for donations much anymore at all, I have to actually go out of my way to look for where they ask for money.

The owner even admits he wanted to go legit. That means even the owner acknowledged this site is illegal but wants donations and merch sales to keep a dying site afloat.

Also let's take a look at these profit driven bastards :

Allen: has over a thousand chapters, doesn't accept donations, commissions, doesn't have his own site anymore, graduated UT Austin last year and has been looking for work since
Dru (the only person you can argue was in it for money) tried to scum others out of popular projects by asking for the authors permission (he got their blessing more often then not but they had sold the rights to their stuff away so it was little more than a shiny star to show off) siphoned donations and took a wire transfer for 2k for site funding, allegedly made off with 5k and never updated site. In person is just an Indian kid going to college (lives in parents basement for summer I shit you not.) used funds to buy a couch to sleep on while in mall in Philly (I was there)
lh: pays staff well, has short delay, good series and quality, owner is foreigner and tung doesn't pocket funds. Most of it goes to hiring new people
Tony: turns away most commissions because they are low quality or not in his audiences interest. Donations go straight to team most of the time, has a day job and killer beard.
Anon: makes a living with legal work commissions which he tries not to do too many of because it would drive away audience if he took every paid job for every series, most of funds come from his legal business where he is a freelance worker editing and translating.
Hati: refused 99% of commissions, team is mostly interest based, if audience demands it and pays he has a chance to continue, but if teams get dick of projects he drops them or sends them to another smaller teams who need donations and commissions more. Set me up with a number of different teams interested in commission work who also had day jobs
Oddyssey: albex is 13, rin is 14. Noodle is 16, arckey is 18 and in med school. Was gonna meet them in Canada but arckey had school, and flying in and visiting a 13 year old kid from the internet is a bad idea. Arckey used donations to pay for nursing school because his family can't afford most of it, stopped most work because he needed to do actual reliable jobs and couldn't just scanlate his favorite stuff. Rin was paid with Pokémon games, clothes, and a 3DS. Albex wanted a phone, didn't want to risk having to explain to his parents some adult in the internet sent him an $800 phone because he did some photoshop stuff. Was too young to be able to receive PayPal payments, funds currently saved for when he needs them.
Lalo/valhalla: student, worker, accepts donations but not for most things. Unless given large amounts of money will not do anything that isn't hentai, isekai, or something he is currently reading.
Jai/delle/one time scans / 95% of teams : works on what interests them. No website. Discord only. Does whatever interests them. Doesn't accept donations, when offered asks for money to be used to pay other people to help them.

You say you are a scanlator, scanlation is for money. I believe you because the chapters you release have patreon links in them. Small, a sentence under a panel or in a blank space usually, but that's acceptable since none of the stuff you scanlate is more than 2 pages so a credits page and a donation page would be overkill. But if you do this for a living why do you only do things with 1-2 pages and little text, niche stuff? Why do you have patreon links if scanlators live off of their commissions?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Frostblood
Your posts are not on topic for this thread. Please post here: https://mangadex.org/thread/92399

You can express your opinions there.

@Zephyrus What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Group Leader
Love that timing.
In all honesty as long as most scanlators stay on i'd be fine to keep using/invest in MangaDex during the period of time that MD is still free, but if too many scanlators leave (currently it seems like just the larger groups who you'd normally have to go to their sites anyways if you wanted to read a chapter early) then it might be hard to stay. But eh most people are just treating it like annoing drama, the few comments that have been made are from the people who actually bother to voice their opinions.

all in all, who doesn't like money.

Group Leader
@FrostBlood TL;DR Youre paranoid

Frankly speaking, I knew people shooting heroin who managed to be more dignified
even when begging for money to get doses in the streets...

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@FrostBlood

I warned you. Please take 3 days off from commenting. Take this time to go over our rules and consider how to post more thoughtfully in the future.

Thanks,

Zeph

I made a website called fuckmangadex.org

Ok I gotta say that was pretty funny for a few seconds.
Man, I can't believe the level of drama around here.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@FrostBlood posted:

to host a site that doesn't own ANY of the projects uploaded here
I don't mean to keep this off-topic going, but since this part is pretty easy to correct: there's a reason the first group that was made on the site is https://mangadex.org/group/1/doki-fansubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread