Mangastream is dead...

I know a lot of people didn't like MS translations, but seeing them disappear after all this years is still sad.
I'm not the most informed person about legal stuff but can a DMCA or C&D take down a whole site? Wouldn't mangastream have recieved tons of them by now?

Contributor
I wondered what was going on when their website went down in a blaze of glory. Admittedly, can't say that I will miss the comments section, as it of full of the hardcore One-Piece fanatics that basically insulted almost everything that wasn't One Piece. And the "pretend" or fake time travelers. Seriously, that was pretty lame. Funny the first few times, but then some people went way overboard and literally did it chapter after chapter, for several hundred chapters.

Still, sad to see them go like that.

Aggregator gang
Imagine being that group which left Mangadex to host their manga on Manga$tream.

Whelp another one bites the dust. And no reason to visit JB too.

Contributor
Does it mean MS releases will be uploaded on MD? They have shitloads of series that only they translated.

Dex-chan lover
@Exile You must be correct. JB was one of the chief architect's of the MD drama, so they were never altruistic in the first place. But I suppose it's human to want to pretend to be making a decision on your own, not because you were forced to.

@bastek66 Sounds like a way to get MD offline next, unless you are careful.

Contributor
@bastek66 Probably not, as it is still preferred to get the groups permission to upload them here, unless you just can't contact the group. Granted, that may end up being the loophole if after a period no contact is possible, especially since the site has literally vanished.

Miku best girl
Admin
Technically M$ chapters are now eligible for uploading because evidence suggests they're now dead. But we should proceed with extreme caution until we can find out exactly what happened here.

Contributor
@Holo Yea, entirely possible that they are down for a complete redesign and removal of old chapters and related links for the manga that they received the cease&desist for. Admittedly, it is kinda funny how JB is following the route and stopping as well. They could have monopolized there, but I guess they decided that they have better lower their profile and fast.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Tikibo MangaStream never left MangaDex because their chapters were never posted here in the first place.

Aggregator gang
@Teasday I wasn't talking about ms you know? Group responsible for the Mao (or what that new Rumiko-sensei manga is called) left the Mangadex during all that drama earlier this year.

Group Leader
And seems JB dropped the WSJ schwarbage too, sounds like more than one person got a C&D they couldn't ignore, or the early-raw providers for them have vanished for one reason or another.

But in any case, EOP genocide time, get the popcorn. :3

Dex-chan lover
Erhm I don't want to be "that guy" but who is mangastream? I literally never heard of them :/ Is it another aggregator? Why should you care about them? You know when one aggregator dies another one will pop-out in no time...

Edit: well, I can assume I did heard about MS but bells don't rings :/

@BzzBzz

MS wasn't an aggregator. They were fairly focused on a few series (primarily WSJ), and they only kept a few chapters of each (supposedly to protect themselves from being attacked). They thought they were in a fairly secure position, and now they have vanished in an instant. They were the ones that did the translation of Bleach/OP/Naruto that the aggregators would use. As for why it matters, it might indicate a shift in WSJ's approach to websites that have scanlations of their series (and, depending on how successful they are at it, perhaps a further shift in other magazines' approaches as well). If they can hit one of the scanlation websites that was well known, but thought to be safer, it could affect others, as well, in the future. They weren't an aggregator, and still got pursued.

As for JB, I would guess that they did this, not in response to something said to them, but as a preemptive measure against whatever seems to have happened to MS. They have also tried to point to MP, hoping that will further protect them, I'm guessing. It will be interesting to see if there are other developments in the near future, to know if this is an isolated incident, or an early sign of what is to come.

Users who are viewing this thread