Mao

For those of you who haven't read this. I encourage you to give it a try.
It's not nearly as annoying as Inuyasha. Although the romantic development wasn't what I expected at all and made me "ugh, again". The characters were well-thought out. The story was moving on without conflicts intended to be prolong any longer.
This is my umpteenth review on the comment section and my impression of this hasn't changed that much.

Baggages of main characters may be a common denominator from Takahashi-sensei’s works but not so much in Mao. It’s apparent that there’s a huge misunderstanding but I doubt that Mao did have an interest with a girl from the past. With his personality, he just want to patch things up because everyone believed he did something bad to the clan. Like Inuyasha, there was a setup and that’s what everyone is trying to solve.

To be honest, this is more chill than her other works so I’m quite surprised. FL is a good observer and I’d prefer her than Kagome lol. The pace of the story is smooth-sailing with less to no distractions or fillers. It also reminded me of Dr. Black Jack and Phoenix Wright for some reason. I’d recommend this if you want to take a break from isekai stuff.

I’m just a sucker for Rumiko what can I say. The first few chapters had me reeling with Inuyasha 2.0 vibes, but man over the course of this year I just keep being surprised by the chapter releases. It feels like she has put a lot into this story. I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes!

QSS

Group Leader
Ok so
This series is actually really good
Hahahaha
Why am I so surprised

This is pretty good. Sort of like Inyasha 2.0 but with less attractive casts. XD

Ooooh, I’m getting a tragic priestess vibe! I’m excited! Hopefully the water girl isn’t like dead dead? Gimme another zombie priestess! :D

Love it, almost binged it all in one go! The inky thing i would say is that as much as I like the new concept and story, I feel like it's a little too similar to inuyasha. Rumiko sense always does an amazing job when it comes to writing these stories that have rich Japanese folklore, however, I feel like the characters have almost the same dynamic as Inuyasha and Kagome's love triangle type of thing. (I say almost, not quite.) The story is interesting nevertheless and has a lot of great new ideas that I wanna see more of. I don't want to keep thinking it's the same as inuyasha, with villains that are just petty lovers who got rejected and doing some petty stuff (I'm looking at you, Naraku) and for now imma cap it at chapter 40, and binge after a couple more chapters come out. Thanks translation team!

whoaa this is like blast from the past. the art hasn't changed at all. good nostalgia. gonna keep reading it for now

Contributor
Is there a place like to get summaries of this? Like per volume? I'm too busy and poor to pick up another long Rumiko series. ;__; ((I try to buy them.))

I just wanna know what happens to the priestess's treasured little pet cat- does it survive and go back to being a normal kitty? :'( I still feel BETRAYED by what happened to the pet cat in another popular series... ;___;

Double-page supporter
@yukiwa
It is turned out the cat has been a Byouki way before he was thrown into the pit though. That was why he was able to kill other creatures in the pit. And I don't know where you got the going back to a normal kitty from. The cat turned into an ayakashi and has been living for hundreds of years, there is no way he can turn back.

The storyline is definitely more thought out than Inuyasha’s storyline. It feels like a deep mystery that’s revealed chapter by chapter, and I enjoy the big cast. I like it a lot, but I feel like Nanoka is a bit bland and only a means to prop up Mao. I kind of expected more growth from her since she’s advertised as being one of the main characters. I would like to see her become an exorcist in training or something. But Takahashi likes to play the long game, and it seems like this storyline has a lot of direction, so maybe there’s something in store for Nanoka.

Contributor
It got licensed by Viz, naturally. First volume releases in the fall.

Dex-chan lover
thank you everyone in the comments for the reviews. ill go read it now

Users who are viewing this thread