Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 3 Ch. 17 - I Could Understand Her Words (3)

@Mixander
If someone is actively trying to learn and someone is actively trying to teach, you would have a few key 'necessary for life' phrases
i'm hungry, i'm tired, where's the bathroom. given 0 option but to learn, about 2-3 months for any language on earth to get you to a point you can hold/understand a conversation kind of, no master by any means but able to get by.

but this is when there is 0 help, no support structure is talking to you in languages you understand.
The key is getting your foot in the door, and that's the hardest part.

So, how many of you managed to learn japanese in between each chapter, enough to somehow communicate? Or are you all as lazy as the MC?

Sometimes, a character is so inhumanly dumb that you may get past the point of caring to be annoyed with him altogether.
The Japanese are a nation that cut itself off from the rest of the world for centuries and to this day still underperforms in terms of acquiring foreign languages. I like telling myself that only they could create and be completely fine with a character so utterly incapable and unwilling to pick up foreign words.

This needed to happen.
I hope this will improve the quality of the story now.

Fed-Kun's army
YES!!! Now this is starting to get some great development! This definitely needed to happen to improve the story!

Fed-Kun's army
Still no explanation for why he can't just learn their language. It would be far easier for everyone involved.

Dex-chan lover
@Shalquoir I wonder if that classifies as a strawman? Either way, it's a dishonest comparison. After all, we're not living in Japan with no access to anything we can understand.

Our friend, the MC, here is not only submerged in the language, he has at least one person who should be ready and willing to go through the steps necessary to teach language to someone who didn't even know how to speak, for example. They also have all the time in the world.

And yet neither of them do it.

Do you finally understand why people criticize this series?

I'm more than willing to apologize if I misunderstood your meaning, however.

Dex-chan lover
@BrandedAX yeah by now he should have learned some basic things as well the necessary things like "yes, no, here, there, this, etc" that can be implied by gestures

The whole time I was just thinking "just fucking translate what they are saying" instead of all the bullshit and confusion that was going on.

Dex-chan lover
Now we're finally getting somewhere. Maybe not the right direction, if the iffy interpreter is inaccurate, but beggars can't be choosers.

Supporter
Wow, frigging finally. C O M M U N I C A T I O N A C H I E V E D

BTW, learning a language just by hearing it, doesn't really work no matter what other people tell you.

My mom has been living in some european country for like 20 years and she still cannot speak the official language even when she has been living there all this time and she works with people.

Luckily the country has more of a spoken language, kind of like in canada with both english and french, you can get by just with one.

Also there isn't a replacement for formal teaching. Self studiying is a thing though.

Dex-chan lover
We were looking for "communication" what we get instead is "miscommunicatuon" 3 letters off, but close enough

Users who are viewing this thread