Maria no Danzai - Vol. 3 Ch. 21 - Traitor

Dex-chan lover
My bet is the glasses guy will die once the main villain discovers the mother identity

Dex-chan lover
I really hate the ringleader characters like Okaya in a bully plot like this. Whatever happened in the past that made him 'it's reasonable for me to bully, torture and directly kill someone that simply irks me without any remorse' won't make me sympathetic towards him.

Double-page supporter
Yeah... no.
This guy is going to totally fuck Maria's plans.

Dex-chan lover
Arise, my new apprentice...
...and take your place under the bus.

'cause you know she gonna be like "I have an ally" and you know she gonna be like, "I'm gonna have to throw him under the bus to throw the cops off my tail."
He also didn't save her son/ let her son take his place, so that's just as bad

I am still holding on to my pet theory that the husband is secretly in on the murder plot.
All she had to do in the very beginning was turn over the real diary and the video evidence and this whole story would have been completely irrelevant.
But the detective knows juvenile laws are incredibly lax in Japan
So she hunts down and murders them, husband cleans up after, both get closure.

This probably isn't the case, but that's my little pet theory, and I'm going to stick to it until it's disproven.

Dex-chan lover
For Yuda's sake, I hope Maria helps him recover in a way that doesn't have him killing more people
He's young, he shouldn't have to ruin his own life like that

Dex-chan lover
I don't want to hear how and why Okaya is who he is right now. That little fucker and his 'friends' should rot and burn somewhere. I don't think The Devil will admit those little fucks in Hell. And even if The Devil himself forgive them, I won't
I'm gonna be so mad if this manga pulled a "The Last of Us 2" and spares him because of stupid reasons

Dex-chan lover
this man is 100% gonna get used by her as bait
I think it will be the other way around (as in, he will be used as bait but not by her). He is unstable in a dangerous way. He is a liability. She is just as damaged but she has been very methodical until now so no reason to change it. But now there is an upredictable piece in the game. If she starts to care for him in any capacity, it will be even worse. Until now she had nothing to lose and everything to gain (in terms of getting revenge). Best option for her is manipulating him to stay away. 5head highschooler mastermind is probably already on him just like he is on Maria.

Dex-chan lover
I'm calling it, she's gonna have to kill him either because he's making mistakes which will blow her cover or because he will become obsessed with her next.

Contributor
So Yuda and Kiritaka were friends. But his running away eventually led to the death of Kiritaka, and perhaps Maria wouldn't take kindly to that fact, although we don't see it on her face as he is talking to her. The sane take would be, that both boys are innocent victims and all the blame rightfully goes to the bullies. But Maria is also not a sane woman anymore after her son's death.

Is Yuda going to be the ally for Maria that the useless Iijima would not? At first glance it seems she could use the help of a motivated potential ally like him, but his amateurish methods can also backfire and allow Maria to get traced by enemies and/or the police. Right now I see more cons than pros about bringing him into the operation, but even the fact that Yuda knows and has witnessed Maria is already a potential threat to her.

Even if they don't become allies and just be acting independently against Okaya, the villains could still capture and torture him into giving away details about her. So now Maria has to keep tabs on him regardless of whether he helps her or not...

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap I can see this going one of 3 ways.
1. she decides that he is risk and decides to kill him or frame him
2. she decides she can use him and treats him as a son or lover
3. she falls for him in some form and treats him like a son or lover.

Thanks for the translation everyone over at Stressed Out Scans

Dex-chan lover
Arise, my new apprentice...
...and take your place under the bus.

'cause you know she gonna be like "I have an ally" and you know she gonna be like, "I'm gonna have to throw him under the bus to throw the cops off my tail."
He also didn't save her son/ let her son take his place, so that's just as bad

I am still holding on to my pet theory that the husband is secretly in on the murder plot.
All she had to do in the very beginning was turn over the real diary and the video evidence and this whole story would have been completely irrelevant.
But the detective knows juvenile laws are incredibly lax in Japan
So she hunts down and murders them, husband cleans up after, both get closure.

This probably isn't the case, but that's my little pet theory, and I'm going to stick to it until it's disproven.
Now that would be an interesting twist for this type of story.

But most likely the husband's going to catch the wife and he's going have to choose between arresting her or letting her finish the last bully. He'll choose arresting her making the leader of the bullies look like a victim and going him sympathy.

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap I can see this going one of 3 ways.
1. she decides that he is risk and decides to kill him or frame him
2. she decides she can use him and treats him as a son or lover
3. she falls for him in some form and treats him like a son or lover.

Thanks for the translation everyone over at Stressed Out Scans
A proxy son?
Hadn't thought of that.
A proxy son would highlight how unhinged she really is. Calling him by her son's name, making him dress a certain way, etc
I don't think it'd happen, but it is an interesting idea.

Dex-chan lover
Just keep him as a second to come out of cryo freeze if she fails so he can take over and finish the job.

Thanks for the TL

Dex-chan lover
Looks like Maria needs to be even more careful than before. I know that Yuda coincidentally finds what Maria did but who knows if there'll be more witnesses during the previous killings and the future ones.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the TL as always!

Fun chapter. It's nice to get to see more of the kind of person Kiritaka actually was, even if it's probably being filtered through Yuda's memory a bit too (he wanted to be a detective like his dad and help catch people who make others suffer, even as his own father is so consumed by that mission that their family life has suffered for it? it's about the sort of narrative beat you'd expect with his type of character, but it's no less heartwrenching for it imo).

I feel like Maria is much more inclined to blame the bullies for his actions even with her mental state, so it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where either of them betrays the other, but he's much less mature emotionally and seems impulsive so I do wonder how his zeal for punishment will complicate things. Feels like a Mikami (Death Note) or Amanda (SAW) type of accomplice character more than anything else.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
A proxy son?
Hadn't thought of that.
A proxy son would highlight how unhinged she really is. Calling him by her son's name, making him dress a certain way, etc
I don't think it'd happen, but it is an interesting idea.
I also doubt it will happen, but can you imagine how fucked up it would be and he would just except it as he's kind of a door matt.

Users who are viewing this thread