Martial King's Retired Life - Ch. 113

Group Leader
MFZ: I’m wanted by the imperial court, multiple sects in the martial world and nations.
A chunk of readers: Reveal yourself. Allow everyone to badger your new friends, old friends, sects and everyone else associated. Even better if they end up as collateral damage. There’s nothing more important than letting everyone know you have an ego erection that needs to be placated daily.
MFZ: You know, my most basic move is like a rasenshuriken. All my moves are like spirit bomb tier, so showing my skills is, refer to first point.
A chunk of readers: Dude, show your skills, then. I’m getting bored even though your skills are as plain as Saitama’s punches. Trust me, it’s only going to expose you right away.
MFZ: One of the things I learnt before I led the life of a recluse for a few years is that I can never kill everyone to solve all of my problems. I’d have to murder the entire imperial court, a nation, dozens of sects and exterminate their families. Remember that time I nearly got Hangzhou wiped out because I went mad-dog mode?
A chunk of readers: Bruh, start killing all your enemies, then. It’s the method that is proven to not work but will work now. Worst comes to worst, you only sacrifices thousands of lives in the process. If you do the maths, it’s totally worth it. You once nearly got an entire innocent city massacred doing something along those lines? That’s greatness right there. Besides, there’s no guarantee you can even defeat them when Ximen Chuideng, who is arguably your level, failed to pull it off, so that makes it an even wiser course of action.
Partially why I quit translating manga and manhwa back then.
Someone about to message me on FB/IG for what chapter in the novel is the equivalent: Hey, Wu Jizun, which chapter is this in the novel.
Me: Well, I'm afraid this chapter is all made up for the manhua. It's not in the novel.

How Did he blow up his arms, removed the thread, repaired his shirt, removed his blood from shirt, fixed all the bleeding and patched his wounds all in one panel at the end

@wujizun
Also oh shit that comment before me, I get that him revealing himself is pretty stupid and has proven to not work.
If it’s made up and isn’t in the novel then how are they going to recon it in the story, clearly (if it happens) his secret being revealed is like a massive part of the novel.

The research results are in: I'm afraid people aren't happy with power fantasy stories whose central conflicts and drama organically arise from the main characters embodying said power fantasy. No lessons on the responsibility and restraint that should be associated with acquiring power. We can only have the MC savagely beat up people who are clearly weaker than they are while seducing members of the opposite sex (and occasionally same sex) because that's apparently what heroes do, and not what the people we hated in high school do.

WTF is happening with the manhua? They're even skipping the yandere loli assassin!
If they actually reveal Feizhen's shit here I'm gonna riot.

Dex-chan lover
@JaffaOrange
Well, One Punch Man did an excellent parody and deconstruction of power fantasies. The main reason ONE's series get picked up and reworked is because of clever writing. Not every writer can produce a Dante's Inferno.

I think it is just the tendency of authors getting too attached to their characters, and being unable to kill them off for drama. Kamina was a good example of drama. Mae Hughes was a great example, with a funeral and all. Portugas D. Ace was an excellent example of it. Any sense of drama lives or dies upon the belief that a scenario can go either way: The hero can succeed, or the hero can fail.

A power fantasy is not inherently devoid of drama, as Mushoku Tensei's heart-wrenching TURNING POINTS (Always in all-caps, they are just that impactful) demonstrate. But an author needs to know when to kill characters. Death is, by nature, an unreasonable event and often by freak twists of fate. It is the difference between a series being the author's baby and the author's work.
But yeah, Ming Feizhen's tendency to not get involved in peoples' affairs kinda leaves the character murder route closed. Ming Suwen is one of the only characters whose death would mean something to him at this point, and fat chance of the author doing that.

If you want to read the greatestworst of power fantasies, read Invisible Dragon https://ensjtrans.com/2016/05/28/invisible-dragon-chapters-1-9-20020725/. It is totally worth the thirty minutes it takes. I recommend reading it aloud, with author notes and spelling mistakes included.

Users who are viewing this thread