Marvel + JUMP Collaboration - Ch. 6 - Ant-Man+

Dex-chan lover
There is an Ant-man AND a Spider-man?

Just kidding, but is the lady cell reference to any work? Or is she a original character?

Disney-Marvel trying to tap into Japanese market with their stale staple of superheroes. I hope they fall as hard as they did in the past with Marvel's previous attempts.

Dex-chan lover
If he turns 50 feet tall, would she become big enough to be a midget or small dog, or would she stay the same size?

@shusi95 As far as I can tell, it's an original character. For one, I believe the "ari" part of "Arimura" is making another pun on the word for "ant" in Japanese. (there were a lot of those).
On the other hand, one of the more notable people who had that surname was an endocrinologist and biochemist who ended up creating a co-op that would bridge the gap between the US and Japanese scientific communities. But, I believe that could just be a coincidence with the name.

@Rugid Hey I actually like SpiderMan fake red.
I don't mind them bringing it here provided they don't... I dunno, keep rebooting or taking back story events.

@Reverie
They will though. Their own comics seems to not be selling well there, to the point when they attempt to scam people with fake covers, so they trying to shoehorn their token characters into manga industry (and preferable kill it to end competition, or at least buy biggest players and turn this market into same capeshit - that's the usual MO of global corporations). And since they have no idea what to do with them beyond milking endlessly, they 100% will end up with the same shit as with their cancerous comics.

@Rugid

Wow, there's uh, quite a bit wrong with everything you said there!

First of all, "fake cover" LOL that's called a "variant cover", literally every comic worth a shit has those. They get guest artists to make them and drive up a collector's value through semi-rare copies. Sorry that Anime Squirrel Girl Waifu wasn't real. EDIT: No really, it's kind of funny to see you get upset over "fake covers", like were you actually going to read Squirrel Girl because she looks like an anime waifu in one cover? "Curse you Marvel! You scammed me again! I can't jerk off to this!!"

Second that exact comic you linked is selling incredibly well--in fact, it's one of Marvel's best-selling, though to be perfectly fair comic books are selling significantly less than they did in their heyday in general--and they're not going to put frickin' Squirrel Girl a manga when Spider-Man: Fake Red is unfortunately not selling well.

Third, it's pretty rich to get at Marvel for "clogging the market", what with the hundreds of shitty isekai and billions of 800-chapter shonen manga. You must be deathly afraid of having *gasp* black people! And women with reasonably sized chests! In my manga! My word!

Contributor
@Rugid

Yeah, I’d have to agree with @ BeeKaine in this instance. There are a lot of things that western comics do wrong - the constant deaths and revivals of main characters that make any loss negligible, the inability to let any sort of character just have their happy ending, the inevitable attempts to just copy the live action movies instead of doing heir own thing, a complete lack of character development which causes decades of status quo, and basically everything Brian Michael Bendis makes - but it would be remiss to blame the failure of western comics on poor art (I mean, look at how One Punch Man succeeded even when ONE was drawing it) or “token” characters (because this is a kind way of saying “characters who aren’t the same race and gender as me”).

Look, if manga can have series like Fullmetal Alchemist and Land of the Lustrous alongside complete duds like Samurai 8 and Gun Otaku Isekai, comics can have the same thing. You’re just cherry picking to fit your custom-built narrative.

P.S. While I do admit that the art of Squirrel Girl isn’t the best in the world, does it even matter? The writer has a webcomic which has been going on for about 16 years, despite using the same exact dinosaur clip art each time. It’s a comic you enjoy for the writing, if nothing else.

>acshually
Well, yes, this scenario assume that there's competent people behind Disney's evil corporation, which is far the from truth. And pay-to-win not always work. In fact I hope someone like Kodansha or Kadokawa will eat Disney instead (or better yet, Chinese corporations, to fulfill the prophecy foretold in South Park) but it's as likely as Antarctica melting completely in the next 20 years. But I hope nevertheless.

Group Leader
@xyzzy
Most of western superheroic comics are garbage.

There's only few exceptions, like Infinity War, Killing Joke and Watchmen etc

Indie comics are alot better 'cause they have finished story and don't hang on.

Aggregator gang
@ReadySlayer haha right. but be careful, don't say "it's just manga" because they're arguing about whole series with MC. someone could get triggered. LUL

Wow, people are kinda heated about this topic.

To be completely fair, both sides have had a ton of issues; if everyone picks and chooses their favorites then you’d be there forever. Not to mention the differences on how both industries work.

Dex-chan lover
Me seeing the comments here while I just wanted to say this is a fun read
awkwardday1584517992710.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread