Mary - Oneshot

Fed-Kun's army
This made me feel sorry for the robot. Damn this girl not only wants to kill herself, she wanted to take somebody with her. Lil twisted this one

Group Leader
Seems like a 'good' ending to me. The girl worryingly searches for Mary when she goes missing and despairs when she feels the same abandonment her former friend inflicted. At the end she attempts suicide knowing full well that Mary will come to save her. A legitimate concern for the girl is the possibility that Mary gets recalled to be disassembled, so this is to ensure that Mary won't get destroyed for failing to fulfill her purpose due to saving this one girl continually, and it keeps Mary in her life since she only monitors high risk individuals.

Dex-chan lover
Alright. Where do I sign up to invest for this cute life-saving A.I.? Humanity definitely needs this.

Fed-Kun's army
@BlackGeneral indeed no, as you see the girl was gonna take her friend to an early grave if the mom wouldn't take her away. At the beginning you see how she was going to kill herself without knowing the existence of the robot, so she is a very twisted person herself craving for self harm and death. And no matter how cute the robot is, at the end is still a machine with the only propose to save the life of those who are suicidal.

Dex-chan lover
@Jockpo523 Talk about blaming the victim. "The girl" wasn't going to do anything--apparently her schoolmates were bullies to the point of homicidal, and apparently there was no prospect of even parents aware of this fact being able to get anything done about it, but that's hardly her fault. Meanwhile, she was apparently left all alone under the kind of bullying attack that leaves you regularly injured--and you're saying she's "very twisted" for attempting suicide? Get outta town.

I enjoyed translating this one, suicide is a very important matter to me and hits close to home.

Fed-Kun's army
@purplelibraryguy nope there's still not many information about it. What if the friend was doing the same job as the robot, humans and even more childs won't make it without a scratch like the robot with the sole purpose of saving suicidal people; that's a valid assumption as well. If she got bullyed or not, doesn't change the fact that by the time the robot started to take care of her, wounds magically desapeared and it doesn't show the robot protecting her of bullying or anything to sustain your hypothesis therefore I will maintain my educated guess about the mental state of the protagonist. So I think I'm still in town

Dex-chan lover
Broken bones and stab wounds means it's stopped being "bullying" and has become "active combat"; multiple armed security bots at the school and possibly metal detectors at the entrances to stop the 'bullies' from bringing in knives and other weapons would be more helpful than robots who's purpose is to prevent suicide. It's like adding suicide prevention nets around buildings that use forced labor.

Fed-Kun's army
Also in general, lack of love of parents that instead of giving her support, leave her to the hands of an ai to prevent her death alone, not making an attempt to give her therapy or changing her from schools or something like communicating at the very least. That's why I see this twisted and sad. That a suicidal person end up feeling a thing closer to her than her own family is awful

Dex-chan lover
@Jockpo523 You are mistaken. The information is fairly clear. So we have in flashback the MC saying to that girl "Hey, why do you bother staying together with me? You even call out to me at school. If it's found out you come to my house, surely they'll bully . . ." Then, immediately after, we have the girl's mom saying "She was seriously injured trying to protect you". Even without the direct reference to bullying, you protect people from outside stuff; it's not a way you'd describe someone saving you from a suicide attempt. Your interpretation doesn't work.
Agree that it's sad, and kind of twisted that the parents are apparently nowhere in the picture at all.

@SteveJust It's a bit silly. But, well, it's a oneshot--the mangaka's drawing it in broad strokes to get the kid's traumatic life across in a few frames.

Users who are viewing this thread