Masamune-kun no Revenge: Engagement - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - The promise still remains, even now

Dex-chan lover
It really is possible that the sequel would have been more enjoyable if it had focused on the main couple, Aki and Masamune, rather than some literalwho bitch and a maid who have already lost the bowl..
Jesus F. Christ what a waste of potential. Thanks for the TL

Dex-chan lover
jeez, tl really didnt like this sequel.
I think most people doesn't like it as well, me included

This would've been better if author focused on Aki and Masamune dealing with their long distance relationship instead of the needless drama of the new girl
Heck, this sequel would've been better if author just made a what if Masamune with other girls or if they just focus on Yoshino dealing with her problem of not knowing what to do with future instead

Dex-chan lover
I think I have a different interpretation of the term open ended than the translator has….they got engaged and everything his happy. Could there be more? Of course, by that logic any ending that’s not our two leads tombstones on the final panel is open ended lol

what is this manga?? the high school story was already good and ended pretty much not bad either but this sht is coming just because the anime got a sequel. most my opinions are the same as the rant from the tl group which i really respect that, but still TIV drawing still great as always and that is the only good thing from this manga

Dex-chan lover
what is this manga?? the high school story was already good and ended pretty much not bad either but this sht is coming just because the anime got a sequel. most my opinions are the same as the rant from the tl group which i really respect that, but still TIV drawing still great as always and that is the only good thing from this manga
Anime advertisement.

Should be obvious though.

Power Uploader
I think I have a different interpretation of the term open ended than the translator has….they got engaged and everything his happy. Could there be more? Of course, by that logic any ending that’s not our two leads tombstones on the final panel is open ended lol
In the past, open ending used to mean "The rest was up to your imagination". But in recent years, it slowly but surely drifted toward "Yeah, there's still more to come... perhaps... keep following us and we'll probably drop a sequel 2-3 years down the line." I absolutely dislike this take, because if you look back, the original Masamune has "THE END" at Chapter 49... then out of nowhere "After school" come along as a "short serialized sequel", and then Chapter 56 has "THE END" as well (Now what, we're having two endings?). THEN comes Engagement, which by this point "THE END" means nothing, because the authors fully intend to write more and us audiences are never left with a conclusive, definitive ending.

I'm sorry but Western comic has this bad enough with retcon, side story, alternate story, anthology, etc... that milk a franchise to death with endless story format. I don't turn to manga for this in mind, when a story end THEN let it end and move on to something new.

Dex-chan lover
This would've been better if author focused on Aki and Masamune dealing with their long distance relationship instead of the needless drama of the new girl

Heck, this sequel would've been better if author just made a what if Masamune with other girls or if they just focus on Yoshino dealing with her problem of not knowing what to do with future instead

In the first case, most of the times this scenario happens, a new rival will appear. I don't hate Iroha, a cheerful harlot with a tragic backstory trying to get Masamune could have gone better if the author had the restraint and patience to not throw her and make a stupid setup and roll for her.

The second case would have been the better choice for a low effort attention grab for the new season and still being enjoyable.

They had a character different to the other girls and a situation rife with opportunities for a new story and they fumbled the bag really hard. I hope it's the last time we see this series if this is how is going to be from now on, just let it die.

Dex-chan lover
In the past, open ending used to mean "The rest was up to your imagination". But in recent years, it slowly but surely drifted toward "Yeah, there's still more to come... perhaps... keep following us and we'll probably drop a sequel 2-3 years down the line." I absolutely dislike this take, because if you look back, the original Masamune has "THE END" at Chapter 49... then out of nowhere "After school" come along as a "short serialized sequel", and then Chapter 56 has "THE END" as well (Now what, we're having two endings?). THEN comes Engagement, which by this point "THE END" means nothing, because the authors fully intend to write more and us audiences are never left with a conclusive, definitive ending.

I'm sorry but Western comic has this bad enough with retcon, side story, alternate story, anthology, etc... that milk a franchise to death with endless story format. I don't turn to manga for this in mind, when a story end THEN let it end and move on to something new.
Bro is being over dramatic because of words at the end of a mangas page lol

I think it’s incredibly stupid to demand a creator moves on from their creation. There’s nothing inherently wrong with doing a side story or sequel series, I know if I created something I wouldn’t just “move on to something new” unless I really wanted to or was forced to

Power Uploader
Bro is being over dramatic because of words at the end of a mangas page lol

I think it’s incredibly stupid to demand a creator moves on from their creation. There’s nothing inherently wrong with doing a side story or sequel series, I know if I created something I wouldn’t just “move on to something new” unless I really wanted to or was forced to
It's called reasonable assumption lol. You don't click "purchase" on a digital product only to have it removed from your library years later because you didn't "purchase" but just "perpetually rent" it.

That aside, the reason I'm not very pleased with this kind of direction is that it wears on readers' mind, they never know if or when a story will ever end. There is a reason manga come and go based on Popularity's Voting, series are axed left and right and we are totally fine with that (after all if it doesn't sell then it has to go). This isn't the case with advertising titles, which are just there to boost anime sales.

And one final take: This and After School aren't even considered Sequel, they are sold as a full set with the first 10 volumes (Hence their chapter numbers never reset). If you buy a completed manga with 10 volumes and think you're done, three more 5 years down the line isn't fun. I have nothing against actual sequel or side stories, in fact we scanlate the Anthology and OOO, too.

Double-page supporter

I'm agree, this one just make rest of the series like shit but i don't hate it. 4/10 for this one

Dex-chan lover
Eh, looking at the replies this was maid shippers getting once again copium just to have it shattered and then pretend it was totally something else.

I can say it because the moment they thought Aki would break up with Masamune they were really pushing it to happen because Yoshino was here, petty much a repeat of the original run but this time surely maid will win ...

Now what I think about it ... well, Masamune and Aki relationship been very much solidified in the original series, there is really no reason to go over it again, this ends up being more of a side story that doesnt change much outside Yoshino starting to open up but it have the same effect as Masamune marriage proposal, its something that just happens without setup as Yoshino doesnt interact with anyone else besides him making it kinda a development we are told and not something we see happening but considering this was 2 volumes it didnt have time to happen and it would have to be entirely different with it being set around her instead of Masamune getting the attention of another crazy girl.

Its fine really, the author isnt going to break the couple or engage in some pointless relationship drama as nobody really cares about muh long distance relationship since it either collapses -and that is what maid shippers wanted- or its a excercise in futily since their relatiship remains the same, the major point in romance series is they getting togheter, not what happens after because at that point its either breaking the couple, boring slice of life nobody is going to read or pointless drama como mis telenovelas mexicanas.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah it was forgettable and don't add much to the story...
But I like the drawing style and its fun to read, if there is another trash-sequel I'm in !

Users who are viewing this thread