Masamune-kun no Revenge: Engagement - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - The promise still remains, even now

Dex-chan lover
In the first case, most of the times this scenario happens, a new rival will appear. I don't hate Iroha, a cheerful harlot with a tragic backstory trying to get Masamune could have gone better if the author had the restraint and patience to not throw her and make a stupid setup and roll for her.

The second case would have been the better choice for a low effort attention grab for the new season and still being enjoyable.

They had a character different to the other girls and a situation rife with opportunities for a new story and they fumbled the bag really hard. I hope it's the last time we see this series if this is how is going to be from now on, just let it die.
I think calling a what if or Yoshino only pov on her life low effort story is kinda mean, because author can easily messed up on it as well and make people hate on it just like what this sequel have, like sure, the idea itself is low effort but the execution of the story still needs proper effort especially on story like these

I don't hate Iroha either, but you know where she will fit perfectly instead? on the prequel, this sequel doesn't need another girl as pivot for the drama because long distance relationship by itself already rife with problem, author can easily make drama based on that instead of making Iroha somehow semi-heroine/villain and fill it with pointless brainless misunderstanding and lowering Masamune brain power on purpose (a.k.a making him dumber, this is the same man that managed to trick Aki before despite his plan going to waste when he learns how Aki actually is and the truth)

Imo, doing this (sequel drama) is more low effort than doing what if or Yoshino life prospect pov, and Yoshino is actually a pretty well liked character among fans

Last edited:
Yeah dumpster fire indeed. What stuck out to me was how stupid Makabe became, Yoshino having so much unnecessary anger, and Iroha being a flat character.

Dex-chan lover
I think calling a what if or Yoshino only pov on her life low effort story is kinda mean, because author can easily messed up on it as well and make people hate on it just like what this sequel have, like sure, the idea itself is low effort but the execution of the story still needs proper effort especially on story like these

I don't hate Iroha either, but you know where she will fit perfectly instead? on the prequel, this sequel doesn't need another girl as pivot for the drama because long distance relationship by itself already rife with problem, author can easily make drama based on that instead of making Iroha somehow semi-heroine/villain and fill it with pointless brainless misunderstanding and lowering Masamune brain power on purpose (a.k.a making him dumber, this is the same man that managed to trick Aki before despite his plan going to waste when he learns how Aki actually is and the truth)

Imo, doing this (sequel drama) is more low effort than doing what if or Yoshino life prospect pov, and Yoshino is actually a pretty well liked character among fans
The idea of what ifs are pretty standard by now, it has been done in quite a lot of modern romance mangas. That doesn't mean it can be done well or its low effort per se, but most of the time these kind of special chapters are only fanservice and people still love it. Why go with the route where you are more likely to fail by introducing a new character and development after the main series ended, if there is a scenario where you can write whatever and people still be happy is a what if.

I think Iroha could have fit well in this story if they let the actual long distance relationship problem develop better and her not being so gung ho about being a homewrecker and have a more normal introduction and proper development, that's what I said they needed to put more restraint. If you are commiting to this idea then do it properly, if you just want to grab attention to the second season of the anime, there are other less risky ways.

Dex-chan lover
so the whole manga was pointless? who would've guessed
dreamybull.gif

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation this was trash and I'm removing it from canon, if anything it just made me think FMC should have broken up with MC

Dex-chan lover
Author was high af when writing this I believe, and now he's finally sober.

Dex-chan lover
And this is how it ends? Bruh

If it wasn't axed, I am sure this unwanted drama would have gone for longer.
And even if I let this drama slide and allowed it to canonically exist, the ending still feels so rushed and under-delivered.

Cause I liked the main series, and seeing any spin-off or possible sequel happen, it makes me happy and wanting to read them. But if that turns into a cash cow and half-ass stories like this, I would rather prefer to have only the main story and nothing after it.

Dex-chan lover
The idea of what ifs are pretty standard by now, it has been done in quite a lot of modern romance mangas. That doesn't mean it can be done well or its low effort per se, but most of the time these kind of special chapters are only fanservice and people still love it. Why go with the route where you are more likely to fail by introducing a new character and development after the main series ended, if there is a scenario where you can write whatever and people still be happy is a what if.

I think Iroha could have fit well in this story if they let the actual long distance relationship problem develop better and her not being so gung ho about being a homewrecker and have a more normal introduction and proper development, that's what I said they needed to put more restraint. If you are commiting to this idea then do it properly, if you just want to grab attention to the second season of the anime, there are other less risky ways.
While i can see what you mean, i would've still preffered a what if which makes fans happy over whatever the author just cooked with this sequel, and honestly, the other option i mentioned that you didn't bring up which is Yoshino future prospect story, which in this sequel are quite interesting and the author just toss it away like its garbage after introducing it would be good option as well imo

With Iroha though, again, i don't dislike her, sure, she could fit this sequel if Author did it well, but there's one thing you forgot the biggest problem is even if Author commit to this kind of story again, most people already had enough with all the drama that are relating to the girls in the prequel/main series already that repeating the same thing are just pointless, though, i agree Iroha would've been great if she's just someone who wants to befriend Makabe and just happen to have the problem she have in this sequel as well instead of being homewrecker and fake "heroine"

Dex-chan lover
Man I feel like I'm the only person who didn't completely hate this.

I mean it wasn't all that great but man people are mad as fuck.

Power Uploader
Man I feel like I'm the only person who didn't completely hate this.

I mean it wasn't all that great but man people are mad as fuck.
Because we all consume scanlation free of charge. In reality, Tiv was hogged for this sequel no one asked for, magazine have to make place to run 11 chapters that other manga couldn't cramp into, and ink & papers are spent on the volume print. Indie projects are self-paid for, but this is a mainstream manga, so resources are wasted on it.

lol everyone and the TL hating what a bunch of idiots. as a fan of masamune revenge from almost 10 yrs ago firs the 6 part mini ch series then this its rare for a series to go past high school so I welcome it. It was short and sweat and its part of the main series so you really cant call it a sequel when it continues from the main vol series.

Dex-chan lover
I feel for you, translator - San.. And wholeheartedly agree with your afterword.

This was peak garbage... Like if garbage had a king, this would be top contenter. Also Yoshino: including her at all in this manga was just fanservice for her "fans" who I don't understand at all. She kept being angry at Makabe where the only ones that should be entitled to this feeling is him and Aki for what she did. And lel, she said "Bring it on" to a mixer as to what? Convince us is she is so angry that she's now moving on to find a guy...that was like the only logical thing to do and she should have done it ages ago.

Iroha was just annoying from start to finish. Nothing much to say about her.

And Aki remained relatively the same which is actually surprising given how stupid Makabe turned out to be.

I beg and please we won't have to suffer another sequel like this ever again

Power Uploader
lol everyone and the TL hating what a bunch of idiots. as a fan of masamune revenge from almost 10 yrs ago firs the 6 part mini ch series then this its rare for a series to go past high school so I welcome it. It was short and sweat and its part of the main series so you really cant call it a sequel when it continues from the main vol series.
I would be totally fine with it had the author didn't declare Masamune-kun no revenge to be "completed" TWICE. The series ended at C49, then it spawn After School and ended at C56, NOW we come to this. Nobody wants to keep following a manga that never ends, there's enough Western comic trash for that.

Dex-chan lover
Man it was fking waste of time...

Why author decide to make the so called "sequel"... Idk...

I would rather read side story about my fav girl (yoshino) she grew up really well...

Contributor
This moron... he was on the freaking verge of unwittingly sacrificing his relationship to buy a ring (talk about defeating the purpose of saving up for a ring), and he almost carelessly lost it! :facepalm:

"No matter how kind you are"
Fortunately for Koiwai he isn't that kind anymore. And he's just a lucky bastard now. I know I'm repeating myself, but Aki is a saint to have put up with how he treated her thus far, and in the end forgave him just as easily. She really had to take action, going out of her way to save her failing relationship with a guy who didn't seem to care until confronted. I guess her reward for her steadfast love is a marriage proposal from him and a ring which she could use to passively deter most would-be suitors. I would've loved this engagement if it wasn't for how badly he acted in the near entirety of this arc.

Yes, this idiot deserves that bad reputation from the swirling rumors in university (that Koiwai definitely wasn't involved in, given how she worked to help Aki here, this girl deserves to enjoy a bit of schadenfreude and a chance at a new love interest who's better than him). He shouldn't even be thinking of rizzing other girls and being popular with the ladies when he's supposed to be already in love and set to marry his girlfriend in 4 years. I don't remember high schooler Masamune having playboy tendencies. Honestly, it doesn't bode well for her with how much his character was ruined here. :haa:

Good lord, I would've enjoyed this university arc much more if it was about Kojuurou and Neko instead, letting me assume everything was going well between Aki and a more mature Masamune who never regressed into this frivolous idiot...

Or maybe I should just pretend this "sequel"/"arc" that nobody asked for doesn't exist... I can only credit this for at least not making the title a lie in the final chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread