Masamune-kun no Revenge

Double-page supporter
For anyone coming here thinking of reading this, I'd say don't. The anime was great, really funny. The manga though has weak pacing, lots of filler, and the worst part of all is the ending. It kinda just fucks up in alot of ways. You're better off not wasting your time on this series. Reminds me alot of Hatsukoi Zombie in some ways. Interesting premise with a good start, but then all of a sudden lots of filler and bullshit and then a fucky ending. Not the worst ending ever, but still bad enough that part of me wishes I never read it.

Jesus this was bad, I had a feeling that they were going for a cliche ending but cmon, literally ignoring the title of the anime. I seriously hate all anime/manga that do this type of shit. I don't recommend anyone to actually read this after the anime, if you're curious then just look through the last chapter and see what a fucking shithole it is for yourself

A lot of what people are saying on here is over the top, it's a fat person revenge of a narcissist at first that turns into a bit of a harem then a small and short bit of ntr iirc and it finally ends with main girl cliche win.
cliches are fucking everywhere and it becomes just like mental mind fodder like going down the cliche checklist. Can I say cliche one more time?
But I would recommend with the preface of "it's fun but kinda constantly shitty"

No, a lot of what people are saying on here is not over the top. It is a story that had a really great premise that is poorly written, poorly executed, poorly ended, and poorly received at the end. It wouldn't even be so bad if the author went through with the revenge instead of wanting to write a generic romantic comedy. This story is also not "fun", nor is it really all that funny. The word you are looking for is TRITE. It's trite and mostly shit.

Just to clarify a bit on my personal beef with this shitstain of a series, subversion of expectations is never a truly bad thing when it is written and executed well. I'm a liiiiitle mad at the shitty cliche ending because that girl was definitely the least liked by me, but it was the execution of how it got to that point that really grinded my gears and made me drop the series until it ended and I hate read the last chapter just to see how much worse it got; it ended up exactly how I predicted it would about 20 chapters into the manga (which was around where I dropped the series). The worst thing about this subversion of expectation is that the beginning has an amazing start and looked to have legs that would carry it to a great ending, but somewhere in the middle it turned into a shit cliche romance comedy (again, something that I actually like, when written well) where everything was predictable and everyone could tell that the artist was trying their damnedest to make the ecchi parts as good as possible, because the story was not the carrying factor. Maybe I just gave it too much credit due to its strong start, so my expectations were higher than normal until I realized I was reading shitty generic romance comedy.

I agree with Fairin: if you are thinking about reading this, I would suggest against it unless you like absolute tripe (there's people on here who like that, can't judge). This is a generic series that breaks no boundaries, which isn't a bad thing, if it was written and executed well, but this story is not. With how things were written throughout, I will assume the author--and some of the reactions from people who know how the author works--the ending was already set in stone, which to me just makes this even worse.

You know things are bad when someone like me (I have rather high general standards when it comes to literary works) will lower my standards to the bare minimum of what is tolerable (I'm entertained), and still get disappointed by the product. But I'm also a person who firmly believes the end has to be as great, or better, than the journey getting to it, because otherwise it's a waste of my goddamn time since I could've invested my limited time into something far, far better.

This is like kaguya-sama in the way that the main character just keeps deviating and deviating from their original goal, i was re-reading the first chapter to get his original name, and then i realized that he was trying to make her love him and then reject her spectacularly, while i was over here halfway through the series where hes only trying to get her to "love" him or some shit, i think most authors need to give their past chapters somewhat of a bendy treatment and redo some things to fit with their new motives and plans for the series.

Dex-chan lover
Should have continued with the revenge and this series would have been a thousand time better

I remember dropping this after realizing yeah author will keep on making plot points that will make the MC not do the revenge

Fed-Kun's army
I thought he profited by
ditching the flattest one for the largest one
but nope. Not a single character is memorable. They are either unlikable or they are bland and don't show up much. The only good thing about this is the art. Trash/10.

Dex-chan lover
Should've read the comments before attempting to read through the first few chapters hoping for it to get better. It won't. Maybe I would have enjoyed this like 8 years ago, but the lack of Reiwa energy is cringe-inducing. The cliches are glaringly apparent in any case. If you want to read a good revenge story, this isn't the one.

I saw the rating, but I thought, "How bad could it possibly be?" Needless to say, it's abysmally bad.

Lol I had finished this like a year ago or so and came here to read the comments, people actually hate this? This was an eight or nine for me. Amazing ending lol

Double-page supporter
There was so much potential for this to be an awesome tragedy: the mc falls in love with the aki but aki feels betrayed and hates him, yushino is in love with the mc but the mc hates her, and fujinomiya gets a real backstory that isn't "I saw him that one time"

Completely unrelated to people's seeming hate for this series, why is it so hard for me to continue reading this? I mean i don't particularly like romance, i feel manga always make it cringier than it has to be, but i actually like the concept, execution, and complete lack of originality, if not creativity.

Problem with the ending is that it makes no sense, half of the series builds up for something, and then the last chapter is like "nope" and then completely course corrects from the entire series without any buildup, avoid, there are better romcoms out there.

come on use common sense, masamune had literally 0 reason to like yoshino they were never intimate or had any real conversation with each other that did not include adagaki.
adagaki was already doomed to win

Users who are viewing this thread