Mazumeshi Elf to Yuboku gurashi - Vol. 11 Ch. 69 - Visible Hope

Aggregator gang
As a general reply to this inciteful discussion on etymology:

Dont forget that all these definitions are opinions of the characters, i dont agree with Saburo's definition, even in japanese (which i can speak conversationally) but it's what he believes. I just translate it lmao.
Which goes right back to my Twitter/social media comparison. They are arguing (debating) the meaning of words already defined, which doesn't matter how they translate to English, that's what they are doing. You could change the topic to anything, and have the same conversation, not just food.

Which goes right back to my Twitter/social media comparison. They are arguing (debating) the meaning of words already defined, which doesn't matter how they translate to English, that's what they are doing. You could change the topic to anything, and have the same conversation, not just food.
I usually wouldnt say this but that's just flatout wrong lmao. Even if you take away the fact that this is a Japanese person speaking to an ancient Greek child and an alien snowman of unknown origin, even if you take away the translation between 料理 and "cooking", the definition of words is still very flexible. "Cooking" can mean both an item but also an action turned into a noun (i am cooking, mama's cooking). They also have subjective meanings to the person, which is why i didnt use the word "cuisine" which 料理 also means. Cuisine in English has an ethnic connotation, we dont refer to everyday foods as "cuisine", we use cuisine to refer to where it comes from (french cuisine, Italian cuisine, hon hon baguette). Saburo's focus is on comfort food and is very atypical for style (like udon noodles for pasta dishes), thus i used "cooking" instead of "cuisine" but comments have already talked about how cuisine is probably more appropriate, since cooking also has connotations of "boring" and "unimpressive".

So if we also include the fact none of these characters have ever heard of the word "delicious" before and that they're only able to communicate with each other due to matrix bending forces that turn language universal (something that's biologically impossible without literal magic), the etymology of this universe is far from set in stone, and discussions of words isnt too crazy to have.

Aggregator gang
I usually wouldnt say this but that's just flatout wrong lmao. Even if you take away the fact that this is a Japanese person speaking to an ancient Greek child and an alien snowman of unknown origin, even if you take away the translation between 料理 and "cooking", the definition of words is still very flexible. "Cooking" can mean both an item but also an action turned into a noun (i am cooking, mama's cooking). They also have subjective meanings to the person, which is why i didnt use the word "cuisine" which 料理 also means. Cuisine in English has an ethnic connotation, we dont refer to everyday foods as "cuisine", we use cuisine to refer to where it comes from (french cuisine, Italian cuisine, hon hon baguette). Saburo's focus is on comfort food and is very atypical for style (like udon noodles for pasta dishes), thus i used "cooking" instead of "cuisine" but comments have already talked about how cuisine is probably more appropriate, since cooking also has connotations of "boring" and "unimpressive".

So if we also include the fact none of these characters have ever heard of the word "delicious" before and that they're only able to communicate with each other due to matrix bending forces that turn language universal (something that's biologically impossible without literal magic), the etymology of this universe is far from set in stone, and discussions of words isnt too crazy to have.
Yeah. You go. Keep proving me right.

Step away from the words, and watch the behavior. That's what this is about. Go to an LGBTQUIAPLKMNVDEH+ page on Twitter, and you can have this same conversation about pronouns. Go to your grandparent's page on Facebook, and have the same conversation about politics. Here, it's just framed in food because that what drives the story. Art follows life, and life imitates art. The translators had a problem with esoterics. So what. We still get the meaning, and it applies to a lot more than the literal words.

Aggregator gang
Yeah, this chapter only has 7 pages and seems to be cut off abruptly when looking at the one following it.

While majority of cooked meals require an heat source, not all of them do.
A Salad doesn't require it, Sashimi doesn't either and so on.
Which is why we consider those types of dishes/meals as "uncooked". Like the person you quoted said, they are still considered meals since a degree of preparation went into them, they just don't qualify as being cooked since heat/fire was not involved.

Users who are viewing this thread