Mazumeshi Elf to Yuboku gurashi - Vol. 11 Ch. 69 - Visible Hope

Dex-chan lover
Something is 100% lost in translation here.

Cooking is the process of making an edible food. Meal is the process of eating the food which has been cooked.
I don't agree with these. Cooking is heating something over an open heat source, such as a stove top, grill, or fire. In contrast, baking is heating something up in a closed heat source. examples being Baking pottery and Cooking Meth.

A meal is simply prepared food. It doesn't need to be actively eaten to make it a meal, and a meal can go to waste if no one consumes it. But it was still a meal.

I'm sure there is fascinating etymology behind the terms, but I think that this is just some sort of word combination in Japanese that doesn't work when translated. that's pretty common.

Dex-chan lover
Something is 100% lost in translation here.

I don't agree with these. Cooking is heating something over an open heat source, such as a stove top, grill, or fire. In contrast, baking is heating something up in a closed heat source. examples being Baking pottery and Cooking Meth.

A meal is simply prepared food. It doesn't need to be actively eaten to make it a meal, and a meal can go to waste if no one consumes it. But it was still a meal.

I'm sure there is fascinating etymology behind the terms, but I think that this is just some sort of word combination in Japanese that doesn't work when translated. that's pretty common.
While majority of cooked meals require an heat source, not all of them do.
A Salad doesn't require it, Sashimi doesn't either and so on.

Aggregator gang
This feels more like a comment about people on platforms like Twitter. They seem smart at first, but then talk so much they reveal their stupidity. Look at what they are doing here: they are arguing the meaning of words defined centuries ago. It doesn't matter if something was lost in translation, that's what they're doing.

feels like the author wants to write an elementary level philosophy manga instead of a cooking manga.

So I looked up the raw, the "cooking vs meal" is "料理 vs 食事", which seems to be a somewhat discussed topic if you google/yahoo it in Japanese.

食事 stands for everyday cooking, something one would do to get by, not much thoughts and just repeat the motions. While 料理 is processing of food done with consideration.

Dex-chan lover
So I looked up the raw, the "cooking vs meal" is "料理 vs 食事", which seems to be a somewhat discussed topic if you google/yahoo it in Japanese.

食事 stands for everyday cooking, something one would do to get by, not much thoughts and just repeat the motions. While 料理 is processing of food done with consideration.
Hard to translate to english lol

Dex-chan lover

Okay, so like we thought, it's a cultural/language specific thing that was hard to translate into English.

Dex-chan lover
My quick and dirty interpretation of the theoretical backbone of the evolution the watchers are trying to push:

The origins of cuisine were for survival: energy source, possible medicinal uses, cooking and preservation techniques so that it's safe to eat, could last, and sometimes even be more palatable. As a civilization becomes more stable and food secure, then we see experimentation and the development of a food culture and supporting vocabulary. Sharing of food and ideas encourages trade, sometimes war (over desired ingredients), and innovation. Food here is really just a proxy/catalyst/vehicle for the development and spread of culture.

Taking a step back from the story, food is being used here because it's relatable to most of us, it's easy to show visually, and because food manga probably sells decently well. I mean, that's why I'm reading this manga; the philosophical bits are just the special seasoning that makes this a bit unique. But let's see if the author can actually deliver on the execution and flavor...

As a general reply to this inciteful discussion on etymology:

Dont forget that all these definitions are opinions of the characters, i dont agree with Saburo's definition, even in japanese (which i can speak conversationally) but it's what he believes. I just translate it lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread