Mazumeshi Elf to Yuboku gurashi - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Roro and Chacha

Dex-chan lover
@TheGTF
Is it any good? How does it taste? Barley is practically non existent in my place because of it usablity as a beer ingredient, and alcoholic beverage is very strict here.

I have tried congee though, pretty plain tasting, the taste is derived from the side dish accompanying the congee

Dex-chan lover
That snake egg was quite big. I think the snake it came from is proportionally big. Maybe eats children.

As unrealistic as this manga is, it's super sad to see a little kid be depressed because he couldn't support his family after he lost his job.

Dex-chan lover
I am thoroughly enjoying this manga,
I've noticed my favorite isekai ones have to do with cooking rather than battling.
I guess I just prefer ones with a little bit more realism to it, than a scrawny ass kid who has the power to blow up mountains with his finger

Contributor
"Lefay loves kids!"

**uncomfortable shudders from people who have read her source lore**

The last speech bubble I unknowingly read with a Scottish accent.
Knowing a characters origin just changes their mannerism a whole lot.

Aggregator gang
@LGear humans eat a lot of stuff that is worst than snake eggs and call them a delicacy so its a little unbelievable that they have that reaction about them specially taking into account their living conditions.

Dex-chan lover
Good thing Pepe doesn't have a blade, or they'd have lost their heads a few times this chapter. Lol.

Aggregator gang
Snake...Snake eggs? What? I feel like I already had a random conversation about reptile eggs on a different series, lol, but...Snake eggs don't have the same kind of shell as bird eggs do. Whereas bird eggs are tear-shaped and have a hard shell that can be cracked open easily, snake eggs are leathery and oblong. So while the shape is drawn correctly, there is NO WAY a snake egg would crack open like it does on page 22 of this chapter. Also, because of this difference, you would realize immediately upon picking up a snake egg that it wasn't a chicken (or related fowl's) egg.

I mean, it's not like its a huge deal, especially for a fantasy manga I've suspended my disbelief for (like how in this world apparently NO ONE decided to at least TRY to make food taste good) but I just wanted to get this out of my system. ^^;

edit: ah, someone already pointed this out in a previous comment, my bad

@musicfreak12

Yeah, that's because congee is made from white rice and that shit is tasteless. Barley, especially roasted barley, is not tasteless.

It tastes a bit like hazelnut and caramel when roasted and like very chewy bread when not.

The dish really reminds me of this ginko nut barley dessert i used to have growing up,,, i hated the ginko nut and would usually only eat the barley and egg that was inside with the soup,,,

Dex-chan lover
@musicfreak12 @Moribden Plain congee is sad stuff, though I suppose it helps cleanse the palate if eating a lot other strong flavored dishes. Need the add-ins (e.g. pork and preserved egg, fish, or ground beef) for flavor. I suppose a pile of green onions or salted peanuts on top, some white pepper powder for warmth and a mild kick, plus a side order of youtiao(?) (basically a savory fried dough cruller) to rip up and toss in, make it into a great breakfast dish, while still being easy on the stomach.
---
Speaking of strange eggs, preserved duck egg a.k.a. century egg is some surreal stuff. The egg white turns into a rubbery, translucent black, and the egg yolk becomes a darkish green-grey. Producers use something like salt and limewater? A friend of mine claims one of the traditional ways to make it was to bury eggs in the dirt and then soak the ground in horse pee?? I mean, if true, what was the first person that decided to try this method thinking??? My friends had a good chuckle when I took my first taste. Despite my initial reservation, it's quite delicious, especially in congee where the egg white black gives a nice soft bite and the yolk is creamy.

Fed-Kun's army
Aye, I bet she loves kids enough she could just kidnap them.

Users who are viewing this thread