Metal Goddess Soldier - Ch. 38 - You Really Think You’re Mu Siyun?

Group Leader
This feels kind of terrible. The dude lucked into power and now can ruin people's lives because they hit him with a can? I know he's setting an example and trying to fix image+corruption, but the method sits poorly with me. The MC feels very much Lawful Evil, aka Dark Knight out for himself and his "daughters" and everyone else can rot.

Dex-chan lover
@dotawolfbrother

The commander he just suspended, his son was abusing power and threatening to kill people using his dad's influence. But the MC is the bad guy because he's fighting fire with fire? Right.

Just FYI, this kind of shit happens in China all the time. Not the MC's position, but 2nd genners abusing their parent's influences.

Their parents rose into either positions of power and wealth, and don't check their kid's abuses. You do a quick search and news reports abound how son/daughter of X bigshot ran someone over, set someone's house on fire, robbed Y number of people and escaped punishment.

A famous one was in California, some kid killed 4 doing 100 in a residential zone, his mother comes in and puts him on a private plane out of the US back into China.

Group Leader
@SunSun

I don't think he's a bad guy. I mean, I compared him to Batman, and I don't think Batman's necessarily bad -- more grey area. But punishing the father for hitting him with a can is not sending the right message for me. I think he should be punishing the son directly for being a douche and not using his fear of daddy.

Also, I don't think it's a parent's responsibility that their kid is an ass. Especially one in college??

Edit: Alright. That was my initial response. I read up on it and it seems the abuses come from the parent's enabling them with money? I saw nothing about killings(could be censored or removed would not be surprised). But I still stand you punish the son and not the parent first. I'll read any articles you can link that might change my mind though.

Dex-chan lover
@dotawolfbrother

You directly called the MC Lawful Evil, I don't think you can really claim you don't think the MC's not a "bad guy" by saying that. Lawful Evil by its nature is still Evil; if anything, the MC is closer to Chaotic Good in that how he metes out justice is inconsistent. Headbutting Ergou instead of announcing his identity as Fleet Admiral because military regs would prevent him from striking an armed forces member, personally executing Ergou and his bastard father in a horrific manner due to their corruption, prior to announcing his authority as Fleet Admiral, and then....suspending "Prince" Zhu's father for refusing to apologize for striking him.

Batman isn't Lawful Evil either. First off, I hate that alignment system cause real world morality isn't easily divided into nine groups.

Now, Batman catches bad guys and leaves them for the police, usually with evidence of their crime, depending on which version of Batman we're talking about (Batfleck violates Batman's One Rule, so he personally doesn't count as Batman). Really, if we're using the alignment system, he's Neutral Good; he catches those who break the law, but he himself doesn't abide by "lawful organisations" that he feels are wrong. That actually might lean him more towards Chaotic Good more than anything.

Lawful Evil, entails committing evil acts with the force of the Law, or having a lawful structure to evil. Darth Vader is a great example for Lawful Evil; Enforcer of the Emperor, he has military power, legal authority, and murders people that annoy him without hesitation, because of his authority. The old EU and New Canon also explore his actions after Episode III and hoo-boy does Vader earns that dread reputation he has.

Now, in this specific case, punishing the father with suspension is the absolute BEST outcome. Because young Zhu was abusing elder Zhu's authority as a retainer for a Beiyang planet lord, to ruin other people's lives. Did you forget that Zhu was threatening to get Himiko's kid expelled? What's to stop Zhu from telling his dad, "Make sure this kid can't get into any other college cause he insulted me."

By suspending Zhu's dad, Mu Siyun immediately removed Zhu's ability to harass others. Additionally, as Zhu was a civilian, Mu does not have legal authority to punish someone for striking him. Ergou and Admiral Zhang were both officers, and he had personally experienced their corruption, and executing them was his legal right as THE superior officer of the Fleet.

Also consider, that Zhu's actions indicate that he has used done this before; therefore his father is responsible as well. And with how tech is shown in the setting, it's extremely unlikely that complaints haven't been made before, and if the ones complaining weren't directly silenced, then ignored, furthering indicting elder Zhu's responsibility. Think of it this way; "Hey dad, let me borrow your gun to kill this guy who insulted me." "Sure. If their family complains, I'll kill em myself." With the gun representing elder Zhu's influence.

If anything, elder Zhu got off light; he was suspended and investigated, he still has his financial assets, and he's just terrified of being Admiral Mu's new painting exhibit. Finally, Zhu didn't escape punishment either; he's publicly humiliated, everyone knows he assaulted Admiral Mu, that his family is stripped of their influence, with he himself on the chopping block for all he knows for not only assaulting Mu, but refusing to apologize for it, AND THREATENING TO MAKE HIM BLEED (pg 6).

Now, overall, an adult should not have their parent's punished for what crimes they commit, HOWEVER, a parent's lack of discipline (that is structure and knowledge, not only punishment for wrongs) is an overwhelming influence in a child's behavior as they develop into an adult (Levine, Munsch, 2016).

Here's some sources:

Levine, L./Munsch J. 2016. Child Development: From Infancy to Adolescence. Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications Inc.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/surprising-reasons-why-we-need-to-discipline-children-620115

https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/discipline.html

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/effective-biblical-discipline/effective-child-discipline/effective-child-discipline

https://www.livestrong.com/article/217970-responsibilities-and-duties-of-parents/

https://centerforparentingeducation.org/library-of-articles/discipline-topics/role-of-parents/

https://centerforparentingeducation.org/library-of-articles/responsibility-and-chores/developing-responsibility-in-your-children/

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/parenting/discipline-behavior/positive-discipline

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/discipline-tactics#1

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-13176049

And legally parents and guardians are responsible for the actions of minors under their custody, on a state by state or country by country basis. With California relevant Family Codes FAM 3010, 3900, 4100-4105.

Group Leader
@SunSun

Okay, I was completely wrong on the alignment thing. I am new to trying to use alignment to describe things, and I was thinking of this article I read, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil. I totally thought the author was talking about Batman. Shows I don't understand it still and will agree with that saying the MC is Lawful Evil was wrong. Maybe Chaotic/Neutral Good? (or I should stop trying).

Now about punishing the father. Starting with your first paragraph about it,

'Now, in this specific case, punishing the father with suspension is the absolute BEST outcome. Because young Zhu was abusing elder Zhu's authority as a retainer for a Beiyang planet lord, to ruin other people's lives. Did you forget that Zhu was threatening to get Himiko's kid expelled? What's to stop Zhu from telling his dad, "Make sure this kid can't get into any other college cause he insulted me."'

I agree with you, punishing the father with suspension is probably the best outcome, specifically because of the other reason you stated, 'Additionally, as Zhu was a civilian, Mu does not have legal authority to punish someone for striking him.' Ordering his father investigated is within his lawful power and a good move to remedy the situation. However, I think the way he goes about it is what unsettles me direct quote --

"Zhen Yuan halt the actions of the Southeast Three Province Commander ... The reason is his son hit me on the head."

That is not the reason. The reason is more like 'I have reasonable evidence that suggests the Commander's has exercised abuse of power directed towards civilians, and he will now be investigated.' This is what rubs me the wrong way. If I'm the son, I'm thinking 'Okay don't his this guy on the head of the can. He has more influence than my father, so I have to listen to him kiss his ass.' A good punishment should have the son thinking, 'I shouldn't abuse my family's power to be a complete ass to people.'

I'll phrase this one more way. If in his official public report, the MC put 'his son hit me on the head' as reason for the investigation without context, I think that would be an instance of clear abuse of power as superior officer. Abuse of power is evil. The MC just participated in abuse of power. The MC acting evil. See where I'm coming from?

Last part, you quote this,
"... a parent's lack of discipline (that is structure and knowledge, not only punishment for wrongs) is an overwhelming influence in a child's behavior as they develop into an adult "

I think this point is mute because my entire point is that the son is not a child/minor anymore, and his punishment should be given with minimal consideration to their existence. The parents do not matter because at this point, there should have been opportunities for the behavior to be corrected through the parents.

I do think it's reasonable cause for investigation of the parents if your son turns out to be that big of a shithead.

I think we mainly agree on everything, but I still stand by 'the method sits poorly with me' because the "his son hit my head" made it feel like he was punishing the father when really he wants to: one, reprimand the son, and two, investigate the father to see if he needs to be reprimanded as well. "Because his son hit me on the head" feels good in the moment but is not what I expect from my ideal leader.

EDIT: My assessment of Lawful Evil actually makes more sense to me after writing this. I think I meant the reasoning "his son hit my head -- I will ruin his family" came off as something a Lawful Evil character might say. Take out the context behind why the MC did it and the MC actually fits your description of Vader. "Enforcer of the Emperor, he has military power, legal authority, and murders people that annoy him without hesitation, because of his authority." MC checks all the boxes. Minus the murder. But I think ruining your family's name is supposedly pretty close?

Dex-chan lover
@dotawolfbrother

I would not recommend using the alignment system for anything more than a rough guideline of how a character should behave. The author of that article/forum post himself states that the alignment system is arbitrary. Wizards of the Coast, who came up with this system, have stated they deeply regretted doing so, because instead of using it as a guideline, most players used it as a hard rule, and in 4e DnD, they did away with the alignment system completely. The problem lies deeply within a heavily debated philosophy question, that being "What is moral/ethical?", and eventually leads back to "Does GOD exist?" Without going too deeply into it, characters are generally complex with the exception of cartoons and shows made for two year olds.

Do note that the "Dark Knight" archetype only falls under Lawful Evil because of how arbitrary alignments are, and it's not referring to Batman's title of The Dark Knight. I mean Batman's also been called "The World's Greatest Detective". Batman's character specifically is Good. He doesn't kill Evil; that'd make him no better than the criminal who killed his parents. He captures them, stops them from being evil, and lets the police take care of the rest, leaving behind the evidence of their crimes. For normal criminals anyway.

His rogues gallery on the other hand, is all you need to see that Evil isn't so clear.

Poison Ivy thinks Plant Lives Matter and is an eco-terrorist, Scarecrow thinks he's some god of Fear and wants everyone terrified, Killer Croc is a mutant who was cast out from society and acts like a mindless beast, the Clock King steals and kills people for "not being on-time", Mr. Zasz, one of Batman's worse mass murderering villains after The Joker thinks he's liberating people by killing em.

The Joker is the only one that's undeniably Chaotic Evil, and even then it's still debatable; as much as Joker wants to kill Batman, he also wants Batman to kill him, and the vast majority of Joker's actions are to basically force Batman to do so. The rest falls under Chaotic Evil.

Now coming back to this chapter, I will argue that Mu Siyun stating the reason for the suspension, as "Zhu jr hit my head", instead of "Possible abuse of power" is still the better outcome.

First, the effect. It is not known if the elder Zhu would immediately call his son, and tell him "I'm being investigated for abuse of power, run!" It's possible that elder Zhu would've instead tried to destroy evidence or shit his pants instead, and that "Prince" Zhu would have to find out secondhand. Elder Zhu would blame himself (unlikely) for getting caught or blame others (more likely) for getting caught.
Telling elder Zhu that he's being suspended because his son hit the Boss on the head, immediately gives him a reason to call his kid and yell at him, basically giving him the source of his troubles.

And second, even if his dad called him and said, "I'm being investigated for abuse of power" or something along those lines, for all Zhu knows it could simply be a remarkable coincidence that it happened after a "bum" who "pretended" he was Fleet Adm Mu, called someone to investigate his dad. Throughout the chapter, Mu Siyun and Ding Yuan dropped hints that, it's actually Fleet Admiral Mu and not some random guy. And Zhu was shown as being remarkably dense. His girlfriend broke up with him cause he wasn't as handsome as Mu (pg 7), implies he has some knowledge of what Mu looks like, (see the background behind Zhu) but doesn't recognize the real deal in front of him. Also, even after his dad called him and asked, "DID YOU HIT THE FLEET ADMIRAL ON THE HEAD?!", Zhu still takes a moment to realize that yes, yes he did (pg 9-10).

The specific choice of words leads to a series of actions that again, publicly humiliates Zhu, and starts the investigation of Commander Zhu for possible abuses in one move. Also do remember that Mu Siyun himself thinks Zhu is salvageable (pg 7). He could've instead ordered the death of Commander Zhu (barely legal but still possible), but instead chose to suspend him and tell the son, "Think about how you can get your dad's job back." Reason being that Zhu stated that the FAdm. Mu he saw on the livestream and newscasts was "a crazy murderer". It's why he thinks his girlfriend was retarded, "This guy's handsome so I'm gonna ignore how he murdered those two officers! Kya~" And also, he showed concern for Ding Yuan being in the hands of someone that crazy (despite not recognizing her right in front of him).

Mu wanted to leave Zhu and his family with their lives, even if his dad was under investigation, because he wanted to see how Zhu would respond, after Zhu showed he had some morals. I will go so far as to say this was a test of Zhu's character; will he continue to be an arrogant bastard and swear revenge, will he become a yes-man patsy to Mu, or will he find some way to earn back his father's job? And as we find out later....it's the 3rd choice; not only does he come back and ask to serve under someone he believes can murder him at will (putting his life at risk), but convinces a bunch of other guys to join as well.

We also see in a later chapter that Mu Siyun puts Ding Yuan in charge of him, which makes sense given that a Fleet Admiral has more things to attend to than training new recruits, Ding Yuan is familiar with training as see's the senior most enlisted soldier and has trained others before, and Mu Siyun treating Zhu as a slave would actually make him evil and no better than Ergo and Adm Zhang. Instead we get Ding Yuan essentially hazing Zhu for comedic purposes.

This is the part where I argue against your characterization of the MC as being just like Darth Vader.

This goes back to the archetypes list. Darth Vader is a classic example of The Dragon. What is The Dragon? It's a trope (storytelling device), where a character serves another Evil character, and carries out their orders without question. The Dragon is almost always the 2nd-in-command. Darth Vader's authority comes from The Emperor. Vader addresses The Emperor as his "Master". "What is thy bidding, my Master?" The people who annoy him, are as far as Vader is concerned, annoying The Emperor, and obstructing the mission The Emperor gave him. When he kills people who've failed him for the last time, it's because by failing him, they've failed The Emperor.

Now...what is evil vs what is good is beyond the scope of my reply. I can spend weeks arguing all viewpoints and we'd be no closer to a conclusion. So instead, I'm going to go by how good and evil are characterized in art. Which is how power is used.

With great power, comes great responsibility

In the hands of Evil characters, power is abused. It's used against those with no power. It's used to continually acquire power, and protect their own power. We see Ergou as evil, because he used his power as supervisor to abuse the angel recruits, and his status as the son of an Admiral to abuse other officers (what he thought Mu Siyun was). Admiral Zhang is seen as evil because of how he treats the angels, and the information we get after his death that he sold the corpses of angels to perverts and killed their relatives if they asked about the girls. Abuse of power in both cases.

For Good characters, power is restrained. We have Good characters who reject their power (Mu Siyun opting to be treated like a recruit). We have Good characters who wonder why they're given power (Mu Siyun asking why he qualified as a FAdm and not fodder). But the most defining feature is that Good characters will use their power against those who abuse the powerless (Mu Siyun vs the Zhang family). Good characters, will do so even if they don't have the power to fight back, because that is the "right" thing to do. Recall the beginning of the series, Mu Siyun protected Ding Yuan while she was unconscious (powerless), from being killed by Himiko (overwhelmingly powerful), when he was just a normal human (also powerless).

So why is Mu Siyun good, maybe even Lawful Good instead of Lawful Evil? He executes after giving chances to repent, after evidence of corruption (the Zhangs). He punishes in accordance to severity of the crime (Zhu). He obtains evidence (Kang Jin and Copper Mouth arc), before acting.

Darth Vader? To those that oppose him: Death. To those that fail him: Death. And to oppose him is to oppose his master, even if he himself hates his master. Lawful Evil.

Group Leader
@SunSun

Alright,

First, I believe the paraphrase "Possible abuse of power' does not accurately represent my favored. My whole point is that "his son hit me on the head" is unnecessarily vague, and I believe a reason that more directly addresses the issue makes more sense. My full quote: 'I have reasonable evidence that suggests the Commander's has exercised abuse of power directed towards civilians, and he will now be investigated.' Using this quote, The admiral could demand knowledge of the evidence, learn it was his son, and we reach the same outcome, but in this, the MC's statement would contain a direct, easily defensible/justifiable reason. The statement also addresses the concern of your first two paragraphs about Zhu realizing the what he's done, but in this way, the MC spells out to Zhu 'Don't use your daddy's power to be an ass." with no need to read between the lines.

I don't disagree with much in the next paragraphs, but I would like to reiterate that we agree on the outcome yet I am arguing that my wording reaches it better.

I disagree with what you said here:
"I will go so far as to say this was a test of Zhu's character; will he continue to be an arrogant bastard and swear revenge, will he become a yes-man patsy to Mu, or will he find some way to earn back his father's job? And as we find out later....it's the 3rd choice; not only does he come back and ask to serve under someone he believes can murder him at will (putting his life at risk), but convinces a bunch of other guys to join as well."

I don't see the difference between yes-man patsy and the way he comes back and asks to serve under Mu. Zhu decides the best way to earn his father's job back is to became a yes-man pasty and serve the guy who as you say, clearly has the ability to murder him at will. That is not loyalty. That is fear. And those bunch of other guys that joined with him? Probably his lackeys that are in trouble because they were abusing Zhu's power as well and now want protection from 'the new strong guy'.

Next paragraph:
"We also see in a later chapter that Mu Siyun puts Ding Yuan in charge of him, which makes sense given that a Fleet Admiral has more things to attend to than training new recruits, Ding Yuan is familiar with training as see's the senior most enlisted soldier and has trained others before, and Mu Siyun treating Zhu as a slave would actually make him evil and no better than Ergo and Adm Zhang. Instead we get Ding Yuan essentially hazing Zhu for comedic purposes."

Yes, good move. I find it weird you compare it to treating Zhu as a slave because I don't see much use for an unskilled slave on the ship? I mean, Zhen Yuan is from a slave planet(?) and she's skilled and treated way better. Fetching coffee is essentially what a slave would do which I don't recall seeing the other recruits have to do. I don't see the point. I agree the hazing is just comedic.

Finally, back to the Lawful Evil thing, I was not trying to argue the MC is Lawful Evil. I said "I think I meant the reasoning "his son hit my head -- I will ruin his family" came off as something a Lawful Evil character might say. Take out the context behind why the MC did it and the MC actually fits your description of Vader. I am saying I don't like his choice of words at the moment because if you take out the fact that we know he is defending someone(a civilian), the MC swings to the 'power is abused' side because he is simply protecting his power by making sure no one "hits him on the head."

I'll make one more attempt to explain my view. I feel we've derailed from my initial comment which was meant to express my discontent in the execution of this entire scene based on the tone/atmosphere I was feeling, e.g. what the MC said and the way he's drawn looking down on Zhu (p9,), etc.

In my arguments, I mentioned how it's not what I feel an ideal leader would do without saying what I might expect, . Here's what I think my ideal leader might do :
[ol]
[li]Defuse the situation: Get Zhu to stop messing with the civilian.Maybe talk him down.[/li]
[li]Remove him from the area to talk in private: Agree with him a bit. Get him to stop what he's doing. Anything to get him out of public eye.[/li]
[li]Hear him out a bit: The dude's upset because his girlfriend dumped him. It's relatable. Get him to talk it out.[/li]
[li]Let him know what he did was wrong: taking it out on civilians and abusing power is a no-no[/li]
[li]Offer a way to help: I'm Fleet Admiral or w.e and need supervisors. Join my team and we can do some good.[/li]
[/ol]
If someone did that for me, I would work for them in a heartbeat, but as opposed to fear, which I see as at the case in the story, it would be out of respect/loyalty. The Mc's "You owe me an apology." sounds like intimidation, and I would personally probably hate his guts in Zhu's shoes.

That's all. Great points. Especially liked your explanation of the alignment system. I think I have started to really dislike it and might use something like Good, Grey, Evil, and even then, only in the context of actions.

Dex-chan lover
@dotawolfbrother

Isn't your wording even more vague? "exercised abuse of power directed towards civilians". What abuses? What evidence? Who are the victims? Who are the accomplices? That whole statement is vague.

Demand knowledge of evidence? So like an investigation, which can take anywhere from 1 month to even a year? So what, is the MC supposed to stand there and demand an investigation while Zhu just tosses insults at him the whole time? Ontop of that, Commander Zhu is a retainer to Kangjin, a planet lord. What if Kang Jin intervenes? And are they just supposed to do this over the phone?

How is Zhu supposed to know what's going on from just a one sided conversation? His dad calls him? Why would his dad call him if he's being investigated for "abuse of power towards civilians"?

And how do you know Zhu is a yes-man patsy from just this chapter alone? All you see is him bringing back guys and all asking to serve in Beiyang "to atone for our sins" (Chp 40, pg 6). What makes YOU think he's a patsy? Since we're bringing later chapters into this, why would a yes-man be made to start as a recruit? If the MC wanted a yes-man, wouldn't it make sense for Mu Siyun to make Zhu some high rank and have him do shady, corrupt work?

How do you know it's fear motivating Zhu? It could be a desire to prove himself to Mu Siyun. What proof are YOU presenting to make your case? How do YOU know those other guys are his lackeys and they just want protection from under a "tyrant"?

I don't mean turning Zhu into a literal slave, I meant in treating him slavishly. Do you understand that concept? Also Zhen Yuan's not a slave, she's an enlisted soldier; her race was enslaved but you can set slaves free, right? Fetching coffee is not something only a slave would do, it's what any junior personnel would do, military or not. Hazing might be too extreme a description, cause she's just hassling him over boba tea.

And why would you take out the context for his words? Context is the key to everything. You take out the context from CPR, it turns into battery, cause you literally break bones when you perform CPR. Take out the context from a joke, it stops being a joke. Take out the context from someone fighting back in self defense, then the victim is now the attacker. Really, why would you take out the context from his words? I can't think up many reasons other than you're trolling me.

I mean, fuck Darth Vader kills people for failing him, but Mu suspending Zhu's father is somehow equivalent and makes him evil like Vader? You might as well say that being a vegetarian makes you like Hitler, cause Hitler was a vegetarian!

The whole conservation leading up to Mu suspending Zhu's father was Mu giving Zhu a chance to apologize, and instead Zhu acts like BIGGER douche.

Oh and going into your list:

1. Zhu threw an object at the MC's head, then when the MC DOES WHAT YOU LISTED by stating the other kid should apologize to Zhu, and Zhu should apologize to him (pg 5). How is that intimidating Zhu?
Really, go back and re-read pg 5 and 6, who's intimidating who here? This is while Zhu's grabbing the MC by the shirt, which is already grounds for assault. AND that's ignoring how he fucking knee'd the other kid in the stomach for his comments! BUT MU IS THE ONE WHO'S "INTIMIDATING" BY ASKING FOR AN APOLOGY.

2. Why would Zhu go somewhere private with him? Zhu sees Mu Siyun as a bum, an insect he can crush, otherwise he wouldn't behave this way anyway. Again, why the hell would Zhu listen to someone he's grabbing by the shirt and saying, "You should thank me for not making you bleed." While forcing his thumb into his head?

3. This step depends on Zhu acting this way because of his break up! What evidence do you have that he's an asshole cause of his GF and not because his daddy's got power? Because he thinks his ex is retarded for liking someone who "paints" people onto surfaces? How is that proof of him being shaken up by a break up?

4. And who was supposed to teach him morals in the first place? His dad maybe? Which, I dunno maybe why Mu Siyun stated the reason for the suspension was because of the actions of his son? And setting that aside, no shit you're not supposed to abuse power, maybe again his dad should've taught him that and again, told him to knock that shit off if he was still doing it as an adult! Does he need to be told that hitting people is a no-no too? Zhu knows what he's doing is wrong, he's doing it because poor people can't fight back (pg 6).

5. Zhu literally shits on FAdm Mu on page 3, saying he's a puppet, and Zhu's family is a higher rank than Admiral Zhang, why the fuck would he give a shit about Mu revealing himself right then and there without a show of force? Because that's what the MC did by suspending Zhu's father, because Zhu struck him and REFUSED to apologize, because Mu Siyun looks poor.

"If someone did that for me..."
Annnnnd that's the whole issue with your arguments, at least the majority of it. It's if someone did that for YOU. Not the character Zhu, but for YOU. You're imposing your values and preferences onto a character, that's being treated a certain way, instead of in the whole context of the character. I guarantee you, if the character of Zhu was based off of your personality, the whole 2 chapters would be different. As it is:

Zhu is established as a rich, egotistical asshole, who throws his dad's name around in Chp 37 pg 8-10. He's also violent (pg 2) and thinks his family is untouchable because they're a retainer for a planet lord (pg 3). He's also an asshole to people he believes are lower than him (pg 6). But Mu Siyun think Zhu is salvageable and uses Zhu's suspension as a TEST (pg 7), which so far we can tell Zhu passes because they came to "atone for their sins" instead of fight, like what Ding Yuan thought they would do (chp 40, pg 6).

The other issue is that you're not arguing, you're saying, "This way is better because it sounds better to me." If you want to argue, go back, use examples of their character to back up why your way of thinking is better.

If you want to "classify" things as Good and Evil, I suggest you analyze your own beliefs first.

Is morality absolute, or is it relative? Is there absolute Good and absolute Evil, or does it depend on culture/upbringing etc?

If it's absolute, what determines Good and Evil, by what basis is Good and Evil determined and how does it exist?

If it's relative, then why are is there Good and Evil anyway? If what one culture decides is good, and another decides is evil, then who is right?

I should also point out that atheism doesn't allow for moral absolutism by its very nature.

Group Leader
@SunSun

I think I am spending too much time on this, but it is interesting.

"Isn't your wording even more vague? "exercised abuse of power directed towards civilians". What abuses? What evidence? Who are the victims? Who are the accomplices? That whole statement is vague."

These are the kind of questions that I meant the statement to invoke. The answers would be handled in the formal submission. Point is the title raises the correct questions and points to the exact reason why it might be legal under his authority.

"Demand knowledge of evidence? So like an investigation, which can take anywhere from 1 month to even a year? So what, is the MC supposed to stand there and demand an investigation while Zhu just tosses insults at him the whole time? On top of that, Commander Zhu is a retainer to Kangjin, a planet lord. What if Kang Jin intervenes? And are they just supposed to do this over the phone?"

I'm assuming his fleets would still be suspended for the investigation? Which incited his call to his son? I don't understand this paragraph.

"And how do you know Zhu is a yes-man patsy from just this chapter alone? All you see is him bringing back guys and all asking to serve in Beiyang "to atone for our sins" (Chp 40, pg 6). What makes YOU think he's a patsy? Since we're bringing later chapters into this, why would a yes-man be made to start as a recruit? If the MC wanted a yes-man, wouldn't it make sense for Mu Siyun to make Zhu some high rank and have him do shady, corrupt work?

How do you know it's fear motivating Zhu? It could be a desire to prove himself to Mu Siyun. What proof are YOU presenting to make your case? How do YOU know those other guys are his lackeys and they just want protection from under a "tyrant"?"

I throw the question right back at you. Why do you think this is him not being a yes-man pasty? If you want to argue about it, I think we would need a formal definition to yes-man and to back it up with evidence. When I saw yes-man pasty as one of the three options, I disagreed that Zhu's choice wasn't a yes-man pasty's behavior because that's how I viewed his behavior. It is my opinion on what happened.

And this, "How do you know it's fear motivating Zhu? It could be a desire to prove himself to Mu Siyun. What proof are YOU presenting to make your case? How do YOU know those other guys are his lackeys and they just want protection from under a "tyrant"?""

I'll say it right now. There's no proof. It's my opinion. From my perspective, Mu Siyun was just broadcast on national television as killing corrupt officials. Zhu is acting like a corrupt official and drew Mu Siyun's ire. Mu Siyun also comes off as intimidating to me in the scene. I would think it is reasonable for Zhu to be shitting his pants and swearing loyalty to be a response to his fear.

"How do YOU know those other guys are his lackeys and they just want protection from under a "tyrant"?""

I don't know. I can't give you proof. Only explanations as to why I think so.

I think those other guys were called his friends. From what I've seen of Zhu, he looks like a corrupt bully who abuses power, and I go under the assumption that friends for those types =lackeys. You can disagree.

"And why would you take out the context for his words? Context is the key to everything. "

I'm not going to review whatever example I gave you, but I believe what I'm trying to convey is that I think one statement has less dependency on context than the other. If I'm using the above examples, the difference is between saying "I gave him CPR." and "I pushed on his chest hard."(not saying chest compressions). In my opinion, one of the statements provides context by itself. So in the story, "Abusing civilians" is the official reason, "His son hit me on the head." is the the action that doesn't provide as much context as itself.

"I mean, fuck Darth Vader kills people for failing him, but Mu suspending Zhu's father is somehow equivalent and makes him evil like Vader? You might as well say that being a vegetarian makes you like Hitler, cause Hitler was a vegetarian!"

To me, this feels like gross hyperbole of what I was trying to say. I also stated that I am focusing on how this one scene felt. I do not think the MC is evil. I meant I thought the scene could be interpreted as the MC being evil. Something seeming evil =/= is evil.

Going down the list points,

1. I would say the MC initially looks like he tries to defuse the situation by stopping the girl from attacking Zhu, but he then walks up and tells Zhu what to do -- "You owe me an apology."

I believe trying to tell someone what to do is not going to defuse a situation. It's going to escalate it, so yes, maybe not intimidating per se, but "You owe me an apology" comes off aggressive to me because Zhu is probably of the opinion he doesn't need to give one while the MC is. This looks to me as the MC walking in and trying to force his opinion on Zhu. That is not the goal of the step. It is to try and convince Zhu to stop what's he doing without provoking him further.

2. Well, I would hope after defusing the situation, Zhu might be more agreeable. But yes, I think you are right. Zhu could ignore him. Then the MC could just do what he did originally. The point would be that he tried to address is privately first.

3. Again, the break-up was merely a possible reason in an attempt to express the empathy part of this step. The point would be you talk to the person and try to figure it out. I don't think the details of why matter much. To reiterate, the point is just to try and hear them out. You don't really need to know what the issue is.

4. I don't think focusing on what should have been done to teach Zhu is impactful on the present situation. The point is he is doing something wrong and you're letting him know there will be consequences. It's more like establishing that lines have been crossed. Maybe I misnamed or paraphrased this step too much.

5. I mean, if you got this far, I would hope Zhu is amicable at this point, but yes, Zhu could say fuck you to the MC. Again, all MC does at that point is say he tried and continue on with MC's original plan.

"The other issue is that you're not arguing, you're saying, "This way is better because it sounds better to me." If you want to argue, go back, use examples of their character to back up why your way of thinking is better."

So, I'm going to quote myself,

"In my arguments, I mentioned how it's not what I feel an ideal leader would do without saying what I might expect, . Here's what I think my ideal leader might do."

So yes, I was not arguing, and I was not trying to say I think the character would actually do that. I was describing what my ideal leader might do in attempt to explain why my issues with the scene. Emphasis on the my ideal leader. I was not trying to describe an ideal leader for Zhu.

"If you want to "classify" things as Good and Evil, I suggest you analyze your own beliefs first. Is morality absolute, or is it relative?"

Good idea. I'd say morality is relative for now because that makes more sense to me personally. And I'll say I decide what I believe is good or evil and do my best to stick with it.

Dex-chan lover
@dotawolfbrother

First off, let me address your moral beliefs: if morality is relative, then you don't get to decide good or evil, because it doesn't exist. What is good to one person, is evil for another, relative to their morals. For example, if someone's morals dictate that rape is not evil, and another's that rape is evil, and morality is relative, then good or evil is irrelevant. Because moral relativity means that everyone's morals are just as viable as everyone else's. Morals are now relative to whoever holds them or what culture/upbringing spawned them.

And now you can't punish someone for committing an act that you feel is evil, if they feel the act was not or was good by their moral standards. Because now you're punishing them for being different.

Additionally, because morals are relative, there is no moral progression. Society neither becomes more ethically inclined, nor degenerate, because yesteryear's morals are just as valid as today's. We're not better than the past, and neither is the past better than the present.

To that end, by deciding that you believe morality is relative, then you can't complain about the MC's methods, in fact, you've surrendered your rights to complain. You cannot judge an action with a standard different than the one who's committing it.

Now secondly, re-read chapters, because going through your responses, it sounds like you've read something completely different than I did. Which makes me wonder if you're just a really bored troll. If your next reply doesn't use specific pages to back up your responses, then by my moral standards, you're a troll wasting my time.

These ... authority.

No, that statement doesn't. I've been apart of investigations before, and something as nebulous and vague as "abuses of power" would be laughed at by any decent lawyer, who will then get it thrown out of court. You don't submit a vague reason for an investigation, unless you're trying to frame someone. "Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." Said by Lavrentiy Beria, head of Stalin's secret police. Fucking vague reasons for investigation are what totalitarians use to ABUSE power. Search warrants are very, highly specific otherwise the one doing the searching can just do whatever they want until they find SOMETHING connected to a crime.

I'm assuming his fleets would still be suspended for the investigation? Which incited his call to his son? I don't understand this paragraph.
If you read the chapter, Commander Zhu called and yelled, "DID YOU HIT THE ADMIRAL ON THE HEAD?!" not "I'M BEING INVESTIGATED FOR SOME NEBULOUS REASON!" Commander Zhu is also a retainer of Kang Jin,

I throw the question right back at you. Why do you think this is him not being a yes-man pasty? If you want to argue about it, I think we would need a formal definition to yes-man and to back it up with evidence. When I saw yes-man pasty as one of the three options, I disagreed that Zhu's choice wasn't a yes-man pasty's behavior because that's how I viewed his behavior. It is my opinion on what happened.

And this, "How do you know it's fear motivating Zhu? It could be a desire to prove himself to Mu Siyun. What proof are YOU presenting to make your case? How do YOU know those other guys are his lackeys and they just want protection from under a "tyrant"?""

I'll say it right now. There's no proof. It's my opinion. From my perspective, Mu Siyun was just broadcast on national television as killing corrupt officials. Zhu is acting like a corrupt official and drew Mu Siyun's ire. Mu Siyun also comes off as intimidating to me in the scene. I would think it is reasonable for Zhu to be shitting his pants and swearing loyalty to be a response to his fear.

The man literally says, "LET ME REPENT." As opposed to running away, attempting to kill Mu, hiding with some other powerful planet lord to take down Mu. Never heard of "FIGHT OR FLIGHT"? When you're in fear of something, you don't go back to it with people asking for a chance to repent, you either run away or fight, that's why DING YUAN SAID "HE BROUGHT PEOPLE TO FIGHT!"

And that's ALSO why he's not a patsy; a patsy doesn't work to forgiveness, a patsy simply gets setup and thrown away, like in a con job.

AND ALSO, IF THERE'S NO EVIDENCE, THEN YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT.

YOU CAN'T GIVE EXPLANATIONS WITHOUT EVIDENCE. Because there's no basis for your explanations. But since you think a blanket reasoning is acceptable for an investigation, even though it's a massive abuse of power and great example of corruption, I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not going to review whatever example I gave you....
This is your original quote:
I don't like his choice of words at the moment because if you take out the fact that we know he is defending someone(a civilian), the MC swings to the 'power is abused' side

And then you fucking contradict yourself by saying:
...I think I have started to really dislike it and might use something like Good, Grey, Evil, and even then, only in the context of actions.
Maybe you should go review your own examples.

To me, this feels like gross hyperbole of what I was trying to say. I also stated that I am focusing on how this one scene felt. I do not think the MC is evil. I meant I thought the scene could be interpreted as the MC being evil. Something seeming evil =/= is evil.

This is what you said:
My assessment of Lawful Evil actually makes more sense to me after writing this. I think I meant the reasoning "his son hit my head -- I will ruin his family" came off as something a Lawful Evil character might say. Take out the context behind why the MC did it and the MC actually fits your description of Vader.
So no, not hyperbole, I'm was paraphrasing what you wrote, and you have said multiple times you think the MC is evil.

And again, taking out context. You realize that a man was sentenced to jail in the UK because the court ruled out the context of what he said? He made a joke, the court ruled out the context, and it became a verbal threat because of that.

1. Mu took attention and eyes off the kid who got knee'd, and changed topics, that's literally the basic step of deescalating a situation.
force his opinion
My God are you insane? You're implying that Zhu has a right to throw shit at someone else's head, that apologizing is not the right thing to do? Oh that's right, you believe morality is relative. Apparently asking an apology is too offensive and can escalate a situation!

2. Again, Mu did attempt to defuse the situation; changed topic and subject from the one being attacked, to him. That's literally out of a crisis handbook.
The point would be that he tried to address is privately first.
No, the point is that even if Zhu was calm, there was no reason for him to follow Mu, heck I wouldn't be surprised if he got more agitated being asked to go somewhere private with some strange dude he's never met.

Again, the break-up was merely a possible reason in an attempt to express the empathy part of this step. The point would be you talk to the person and try to figure it out. I don't think the details of why matter much. To reiterate, the point is just to try and hear them out. You don't really need to know what the issue is.

And you missed my fucking point! Where's the fucking evidence that the breakup is why Zhu's being an asshole?! Why would Mu even bring that up? What evidence is there other than the kid stepped on Zhu's shoes?! Mu even says the kid should apologize to Zhu, and Zhu to him!

I don't think focusing on what should have been done to teach Zhu is impactful on the present situation...
You also said:
Let him know what he did was wrong: taking it out on civilians and abusing power is a no-no
Which is why I wrote my response the way I did; a grown man should not have to be taught that hitting someone is wrong, he already knows it's wrong, and I GAVE YOU THE PAGE THAT HE SAID SO, WHICH DRIVES YOUR ENTIRE ORIGINAL POINT MOOT. But you don't fucking review your own shit so fuck me right?

I mean, if you got this far...MC's original plan.
And you again miss my point; Zhu's already shown he's not afraid of the Fleet Admiral's reputation, the fuck is revealing himself without having enacted consequences going to do?

So, I'm going to quote myself,

"In my arguments, I mentioned how it's not what I feel an ideal leader would do without saying what I might expect, . Here's what I think my ideal leader might do."

So yes, I was not arguing...

So you say in your "arguments" but you're "not arguing". Derp.

I was describing what my ideal leader might do in attempt to explain why my issues with the scene.

Then why make even a list in the first place, the whole point is whether or not Mu's actions are appropriate to Zhu, not how YOU wanted Mu to act to you. WHICH IS THE POINT OF MY STATEMENT.

ALSO, IT'S UNFORTUNATE BUT HAVING OPINIONS IS A REACTION TO SOMETHING SOMEONE, FICTIONAL OR IMAGINARY HAS DONE. You can't simply give your opinion and that being enough, there's something that caused you to have that opinion, and YOU'RE NOT EXPLAINING IT.

Also, in defending your opinion, you are in fact in an argument.

Group Leader
@SunSun

I apologize for any offense I caused. I had no intentions to troll you. I myself have very little experience in formal argument/writing, so I could very well not being doing things I should be. However, I can try and fix what you mentioned. It appears you wanted more evidence in my responses, i.e quoting specific pages? I will try to do that in the future, and while I don't want to go through everything at the moment, I can offer a specific response with examples/evidence for why I think the apology request threw off the deescalation. What I am responding to:

Mu took attention and eyes off the kid who got knee'd, and changed topics, that's literally the basic step of deescalating a situation.
force his opinion
My God are you insane? You're implying that Zhu has a right to throw shit at someone else's head, that apologizing is not the right thing to do? Oh that's right, you believe morality is relative. Apparently asking an apology is too offensive and can escalate a situation!

I agree getting attention away from the kid and changing the subject were great for defusing the situation, but what I was referring to here -- and what I think made it fail to completely deescalate the situation-- was on ch 38 pg 5 where Mu says "You owe me an apology". My interpretation was more along the lines that saying that comes off as a "threat to me"(I think this is another place where we are differing, Do you want me to say why it might come off as a threat to Zhu? I don't think I fully understand, but the panel immediately after Zhu grabs Mu's collar(still 38 pg5) which I believe counts as evidence that Zhu saw it as a threat), and a threat can be viewed as a communication barrier as listed in this Powerpoint(p7) released by the Kentucky government here, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwji9s-lm8_fAhUDmVkKHVXxC3EQFjABegQIBhAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpersonnel.ky.gov%2Fkeap%2Fverbal%2520de-escal.ation%2520skills%2520presentation.ppt&usg=AOvVaw2GennRg-D8GtSop-NHCckK.

I am sad that our interpretations our discussion are so different. I feel like knowing the differences in our background might help. In regards to background, you came off as confident to me when I read your recent response. May I ask where your confidence in your arguments comes from? . Did you study philosophy/argument in university? Or perhaps part of some group that you argue regularly with? Life experience and reading? I would like to know to aid my understanding and perhaps bolster my own knowledge.

Getting another, outside, opinion would be great as well. They might be able to point out what I am missing.

Dex-chan lover
I came here to speak again about how much of an alpha this MC is, but instead got attacked with a planet of TL;DR's.

Dex-chan lover
but instead got attacked with a planet of TL;DR's.

Yeah, I lost the motivation to read the comments this time after scrolling by one and seeing another.

d0f1f2c9-621f-4ee3-a769-3e3bfd3903bb.gif

Group Leader
Last name Mu
First name Shiyun
Like a sprained ankle boy I ain't nothin' to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread