Mizutamari ni Ukabu Shima - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Happy Birthday - Part 1

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, the last panel made me a bit uncomfortable, wonder what he's planning now

or perhaps the author just wanted to show us futabas ass for no real reason...

Group Leader
Barring a misread or inconsistent translation, it looks like fake-Minato has already goofed -- in Ch 1 he called Futaba without any honorifics at all.

Contributor
@caitsith
Re-reading chapter 1, I had a super-unlikely pay-no-attention-to-the-crazy theory:
What if not only Minato/Kuromatsu switched, but also Nagisa/Mutsuki?

Group Leader
@caitsith
Don't worry, it's the real Minato calling "Futaba-neechan" in chapter 1. I (the chapter 1 translator) made him use "Futaba" since I thought "big sis Futaba" sound rather unnatural, and leaving it as "Futaba-neechan" when we're translating "onii-chan" to "big bro" itself feels off.

I was planning to have the fake-Minato in this chapter to use something like this for Futaba:
"Futaba-san"/"Futaba-chan" --> unchanged
"Futaba-neechan" --> "Futaba"
"Futaba" --> "that woman/girl"

But just consider chapter 1 Minato to use "Futaba-neechan" for the sake of consistency now.

@thirite Hope you can put a clarification somewhere in the next chapter about our group's "Futaba"/"Futaba-neechan" usage in chapter 1. Thanks!

@0tt3r Yeah, sounds good. Minato* does refer to Futaba once in 5.2 so I could drop it in there. I very nearly made the mistake of trying to westernize the way people refer to each other, including having Nagisa refer to Minato by his actual name since it sounds a lot more natural in English. But after I reread your Chapter 1, I decided to stick with convention thankfully. A lot of the way the original Japanese is worded is impossible to keep it 1:1 without it sounding completely bizarre in English (eg: Minato thinking "afraid!" repeatedly as he's running off the train in this chapter-- changed it to "crap!"), so it's a difficult balance to get accuracy vs. natural wording. By the way, I hope I didn't cause you guys any trouble by jumping on this manga. I was too interested to find out what happened next, hahaha.

Group Leader
@thirite Thanks, much appreciated! No worries on taking over the series; to be honest, I admittedly have mixed feelings on machine translation, but I appreciate your efforts for putting it into smooth-flowing English at a fast pace too. Our group got busy with another series we have to catch up on, so at least I'm glad to see this series getting the attention it deserves.

Dex-chan lover
I hope that last panel doesn't mean what I think it mean 😓

Contributor
That's a true villain here.
Dont even think about living a good life.

Dex-chan lover
Easy solution is just to confess to futaba. Tell him everything no matter how outlandish. He has his past memories.

Users who are viewing this thread