Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 15 Ch. 69 - White Mask - Part 2

@TucoBenedicto
This story is the epitome of the isekai genre, and I have been treating it like it since I started reading it. That's the purpose of my initial comment, and why I believe a story is a lot more than just what's on the surface.
The foundation of the isekai genre, and subsequently this story, are on the consumption of video games and fantasy, and if it were playing no part in the story, then Rudy's character would be completely different. You can say he hard reset his conscious, but that's definitely not true.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rozzak , he still can't completely trust her since even though she does indeed rescue him, to Rudeus eyes Nanahoshi is still a suspcious figure who is an ally of Orsted. The one who have tried to kill him in the past.

Fed-Kun's army
@thatfinefellow No shit it's the "epitome of the isekai genre".
They say this series is basically the trope definer and the grandfather of the entire genre.

That said, to identify where a trope comes from and to pretend it implicitly address character psychology are two complete separate things.
Your original comment was about how "sad" it is that he can't live in the "real world".

For one, in the context of this story this world from his perspective is every bit as "real" as the previous one. He's not living it as a videogame, but as an entire new incarnation.
Beside that, given his personal experience with the previous life it's beyond obtuse to pretend it's surprising that he doesn't feel any particular urge to "go back" (assuming that would be even an option at all):

@Rozzak
Like why even leave that up in the air? Characters leaving potentially consequential trivia about connections to other characters unnecessarily up in the air is my biggest pet peeve.
In the LN (volume 9), he doesn't tell her because if he had revealed he was the guy that saved her, she might remember him as the fatass loser he was at the time, and his appearance back then might prejudice her against him now. "Appearances do matter, you know?"

@TucoBenedicto
in the context of a fictitious story, the world he now finds himself in, which is congruous to fantasy worlds in which individuals like the main character at the beginning of this story would immerse themselves, is real like if he wished it real from a genie. However, I have never once come upon a genie.

I have reason to believe that were he to have the option, he would enter a sensory depravation chamber and allow such a fictitious world to keep his mind enthralled with the express purpose of escaping from that first noble truth. Where it to have been his choice to reincarnate into such a world, he would've been like a much more pathetic Cypher.

Sure, that world is real to him, but it is completely unoriginal, and derived from the same bread and circuses that kept Rudy's mind occupied in real life.

because fitz is being more present at the story, does that mean that
something bad will happen to eris?

Users who are viewing this thread