Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 5 Ch. 25 - Tears of Regret

Banned
I hope we get to see Veskel again.

Also I've no idea why people are complaining about the protagonist. So what if his conscious mind is 30-something years older than his body? His unconscious brain is still that of a 10-year-old ... or maybe even 11-year-old now. I don't even know how much time has passed since his 10th.
Nothing is out of place here. Yet a bunch of random nobodies in a comment section grumble over him with little or no reason given. Figures...

Meo

Dex-chan lover
The MC is so messed up...

OK, saving pet smugglers...that's fine (not worth a death sentence). Letting people stay in danger for maximum profit, not good and NOT fine. Apparently after this he was really beating himself up over it. Then he wants to flood the town and kill a crapload of people just so they could stay as ADVENTURERS?!

He's so selfish and self-centered.

Double-page supporter
@Meo
I agree, pretty screwed up even for a 40+yo NEET man
Though the world where he previously lives and the current one are just as horrible if seen through a much wider scale

Despite him trying to improve himself, old habits will always come to invade his mind (similarly to how he was traumatized with going outside during the first few chapters). Moving on from something as big as his previous life isn't easy, for anyone really not just for him

So all of the sudden the mc has developed sociopathic tendencies out of fucking no where... Why? How?

Double-page supporter
@YungMassah

He was never sociopathic. He simply never truly internalized that the 'NPC's were real people. Which is easy to understand, since most of his life he's been playing games in which if you die, you respawn. If a comrade you care about dies, you reload your save file. If a NPC dies, it's just a random name the Devs put in to make you feel guilty. In a strategy game, lives are just numbers that are expendable.

That's why when he and Eris was kidnapped he was so shaken by the fact that he was actually in mortal danger.

That's why as soon as he truly realizes that the 'NPC's are real in this world he immediately has a breakdown at letting someone die. That's not what a true sociopath would do.

Up till now he's been basically 'optimizing' his 'playthrough' of the game, with only regards to efficiency and success, not realizing that these characters have wills and emotions of their own, not realizing that they are alive.

Let's be honest, most of us has played strategy games like this. I have personally just ignored sidequests in RDR2 where people literally cry for help, but that doesn't make me psychopathic since if it was real life I would at least call the cops. His only problem was that he was still subconsciously in denial and didn't switch over his thinking from Game Mode to Reality Mode.

I personally liked this chapter, the buildup of all MC's choices and actions on the Demon Continent actually have consequences and he pays for them. It's pretty annoying when the people in the comments section are blasting him for crying when at this point he feels like a failure, a feeling that has plagued him in his previous life. At least this way we can see him grow from his mistakes and actually have character development compared to the generic trash isekai manga templets out there.

Aggregator gang
The MC is pathetic. That much is certain. His personality is rotten too.
Him crying pathetically actually made me glad. He said he wanted to not repeat the mistakes of his old life but he hasn't really changed much has he?
Hopefully he actually improves himself this time and isn't all talk no show.

Manipulative ass man child 😭 you’re almost 50 years old and you still don’t know your own personality

Damn so a 50+ year old man can't cry anymore and witnessing a death infront of you and the cause of it is because of your lack of understanding of the situation is bad now? Damn if so we're all perfect huh this readers are all edgy fanboys that want blood and gore.

Dex-chan lover
@weabob and @caarexx true that. these readers feel like they're superior human beings. Its like we've been reading different mangas than them.

they really must hate the fact that this guy is a fat ugly old bastard in his previous life so much that whatever the MC does now doesnt excuse him being an unattractive person. imagine if the MC in his previous life was just an average slim joe thats a NEET. They'd change the tune of their trumpets fast.

Man being ugly and fat must be the worst for them. quite laughable how it offends these "readers" so much that they hate the MC with every fiber of their being.

People be forgetting that adults can try too. A socially inept and insecure wreck of an adult like him crying is not out of the ordinary. Plus theres a good reason he's even crying.

Damn, good writing must be really sparse these days that people don't recognize good character development and consistency.

He spent all his previous life thinking he was a failure. Now that his actions led up to another failure, the feeling is all too familiar for him. It's consistent with his past, his actions, his reflections and how obsessed he is with going "all out" so that, in his eyes, he can avoid failure. There isn't a monopoly in age when it comes to crying. If age is what's got people hung up, think of it this way: he's been emotionally stunted in his past life so you could think of it as never being able to express his emotions properly so he bawls out. But even that's too harsh of a standard of emotional maturity to measure someone. Anyone can cry, regardless of age, looks and, yes, fat people cry. What's so wrong about that?

He's been also focused on the goal of keeping Eris safe and getting enough money to survive everyday. It isn't out of character for him to do things that maybe considered 'grey' by some people. The author has shown immense quality of writing in the way that he depicts characters as not entirely black or white, even before this chapter. For example, as righteous as his dad is, his dad still had an outburst without listening to Rudy and hit him. In other less quality stories, that would be considered the trait of a villain and he would be painted totally evil with no hope of redemption. But it became 'grey' when it was shown that he could listen, that he would understand, albeit only after a stern comeback by Rudy.

Rudy isn't an exception to this grey treatment of the world. He makes mistakes, he's vulnerable and through his inner monologue you can see how neurotic he is toward his own decisions; if any of his decisions fell apart, of course it would affect him. If nothing else, I love how grey this world is because it feels more real, more sensible. I don't think he's "pathetic" for being that way.

I don't like stories with monoliths as main characters or have the personality of a cardboard box with overpowered powers as their only redeeming trait. "In another world with my smartphone" is a good pick for you if you like "non-pathetic, overpowered" MCs. I just hope you don't complain how boring it is.

@adamishka Don't know how you did it but your comment actually annoyed me more than the manga. And I only read like 4 lines.

People comment here to say how they felt about what they just read. Not to get an in-depth lecture about psychology.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally at the moment, I don't give a fuck about his experiences or what he's been through in the past. What he's doing right now at this time is annoying. That's all. Whether there's a legitimate reason for this or not it doesn't matter.

Dex-chan lover
@ZayB
Everyone's to their own opinion. I personally find a deeper analysis to the characters psychology important for my understanding of the characters because frankly, I'm dumb, and want to learn more about this kind of thing. What I find currently annoying could help me like the character. Which is pretty important if you're the MC. Unless the manga is explicitly meant to be brain-dead in reading. Like every cheat-sekai self insert out there.

Users who are viewing this thread