Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 3 Ch. 25 - Each Person's DInner

Dex-chan lover
She probably shouldn’t be going around saying this stuff about her dad...specially since it’s just a suspicion.
And the Kouhai should slow down or she’ll just end up ruining the work environment with her unprofessionalism.
And the Dad should just stop.
In general.

That's the point So-chan. The main attraction of the manga is that sense of tension that something can (and will) eventually go horribly wrong. Well, that and the wonderful menhera that is Koto.

Man, the credits page killed me, i will paypal you 10 bottles of vodka, dont worry

Why does the roller coaster go so high, @TheRealShinku ? Why does it always crash in every manga? Its always a train wreck or explosion...

Dex-chan lover
It went from 100 to 0 thanks to the stupid end credit page with Kodiak bear testicles.

Aggregator gang
So whats wrong with her friend dating her dad? I don't get it, what is her problem....

Dex-chan lover
I was so invested and tensed up until I see two bear nipples pointed straight at me from a taxoderemy grizzly bear, but it's interesting to see that all these characters are messed up in their own way. (Ironically, the one time he isn't on a date with Kii-chan is the one time his daughter most suspects him of being on a date with her)

-The dad (Kosuke) was suicidally depressed before he met Kisaragi. His wife was dead, his daughter was estranged and his work was forcing him into unhealthy habits of devoting himself to it in order to merely provide. He was divorced from society and didn't have any support network to help him with this. It's not like he could see a therapist because he didn't have time, and Kisaragi opened up a new world for him to understand. He doesn't fall into temptation with Kisaragi, as she attempts to seduce him multiple times which he sees is wrong and says he doesn't want that kind of relationship with her. Sure, you could judge him morally for even attempting to engage with a minor (though 16 is the age of consent in most countries and nothing he's done thus far is actually of questionable legality), but it's more the story of mental health and he was in such a vulnerable place that it's hard to judge him for it as his life has undoubtedly improved as Kisaragi has begun to enter it more and more.

-Kisaragi herself is an interesting character as you can read into her starting a relationship as a way to escape her abusive and overly possessive mother. At least, it started out that way. Perhaps she did it because she knew it was provocative, controversial and seemingly against the traditional fabric to start a relationship with a man more than twice her senior, and that was her way of tasting any kind of freedom or liberty that her mother would squash on, as even to the most moral of people the temptation of what seems to be morally questionable or wrong holds its own attraction. Or, alternatively, she did it because she saw the state he was in and empathized with him. She felt like she understood the despair he was and wanted him to improve. Perhaps she didn't love him to begin with, but she's certainly grown attached now. What's even more interesting is that she's the instigator of all of this. She clearly isn't the one being manipulated or lead along by an older man, but she's the one who's trying to get an older man to fall for her and to try and amend the situation at hand. Because this is the complete inverse of the typical story that's told of why younger women shouldn't date older men, it provides an interesting dynamic that immediately makes that claim fall apart.

-Ichikawa herself does have ample reason to be upset by the prospect that her best friend and her father are dating. It's completely understandable why she would feel not only betrayed but feel as if this situation was wrong. Devoid of context, she seems to be in the right on the face of it. But, this only shows to demonstrate how good of a job the author did at making us feel for the characters of the story. We know that Ichikawa was on the verge of being kicked out of school and hardly ever left her room. Every time her dad extended an olive branch, she wouldn't respond because of how the death of her mother affected her. She has been doing her work, but just enough to scrap by. She didn't notice her father's struggle because of her own mental health issues and so she seems selfish, but at the same time, he was so caught up in his work trying to provide for her that consoling her is difficult, especially as he's not over the death of his wife himself. It wasn't until Kii-chan showed up that the two were able to reconcile, though their relationship is still rocky at best, and she's able to deduce that there's something going on between the two of them. Her love interest, Misaki, is interesting as he's also a loner who hangs out by himself. He's implied to be a delinquent because he smokes as a minor and acts rather brazen, but they're drawn to one another because of this. She can immediately empathize with how disenfranchised he is and it solidifies the connection the two have.

The author is absolutely amazing as they were able to construct such an intricate but understandable and completely justified set of characters with complex relationships to one another and motives that would all be justified from their own perspective. I'm really invested into seeing how this unfolds, especially after the bombshell reveal of this chapter and I wonder what's going to happen next, especially with the secondary potential love interest in the coworker.

The credits page made my day, wasn't expecting something like that at all.

@mismarca probably cause of the age gap? People like to pretend this doesn't happen all over the place in every country.

@Tamerlane >His wife was dad, made me chuckle, great analysis.

Dex-chan lover
@mismarca He's a middle age man dating a high school girl? There's definitely problems, for sure. I absolutely would not discriminate against age gapped couples, but I think they should at least be legal, first.

I mean, that's only one side of the issues, too. She's grief stricken over the loss of her mother to the point of becoming a shutin, and while in that state, her father, who has up until this point always instilled in her how saddened he is by everything from the wife to the state of his daughter, is now supposedly sneaking around and dating her high school friend? From the perspective of the daughter with no context, that paints a REALLY messed up image.

Aggregator gang
@CykaClap
I guess the drama is too much for a shut-in daughter. She is just about to recover and this shocking news she is discovering.

@sirflimflam
I just did a legal age marriage in Japan and for girls its 16 years of age or older. Below 20 age need parental approval though. She should be 16 or above right since she is a high school student. Its legal isn't it?
Its her friend though... not random stranger that she didn't know.

Dex-chan lover
That is the greatest typo I have ever made. Thanks.

(I feel like a fucking idiot now but that's absolutely hilarious)

@CykaClap

Dex-chan lover
There's the fact that Kii's a minor, that he's more than twice her age, that if you best friend was dating your parent, you'd probably be a bit weirded out too (See how Hamlet felt when his Uncle married his Mom and then imagine your uncle was your best friend and you'd get the rough idea).

It's surreal to imagine your best friend being intimate with your parents. You'd probably feel betrayed or like you've been cheated on, for lack of a better term. It's realizing not only has both your parent and your best friend has been hiding something behind you back that would change your dynamic forever, but that someone your age could become your mother, and that person is someone you knew when you were six. It'd flip your whole world inside out and change how you understood and perceived how things worked up to that point. @mismarca

Dex-chan lover
@mismarca The legal age is indeed 16, with conditions. You must have parental approval of the relationship and the relationship must be under the pretense of marriage.

So while under certain conditions she could be legal, she still isn't right now. He would definitely have various charges placed against him if they were caught, especially if the psychopath mother learns about it.

Aggregator gang
@Tamerlane
Nah I guess it just too much for her because she's never in a relationship before. She needs to experience love to understand her friends point. I think her relationship with Misaki is gonna be her turning point for her understanding it. Also those two are acting kinda shady so its giving her weird vibe making her uncomfortable, she doesn't want to be left out. I mean its should be fine since her father is not cheating lol. She probably need more time to consume all this emotions just right after she's about to recover from the shut-in.
Hmmmm, for me I would rather have someone close/known to be married to my family members. It make me ease to accept the partner since I know them for a long time and already familiar with their presences.

Fed-Kun's army
Wasn't she a fkin neet just a few chapters ago lol, she's already jumping to conclusion about stuff with very little info to go on.
This just seems to be a stretch imo, the pacing is way off for this kind of reaction from the daughter

Aggregator gang
@sirflimflam
Wait what... That is just for marriage isn't it? Its not preventing them from having a relationship isn't it?
What??? What crime did he do? I though its all consent and she is above 13? What charges would he get?. That pysho mother is different story. She already fcked up from the start so it doesn't matter >.>

Dex-chan lover
@mismarca He hasn't "done" anything yet, though there have been some inappropriate situations that would raise some eyebrows. Your original statement was "what was wrong with her dad dating her friend", and I'm merely offering the outcome should he actually do it.

Age of consent pertains to sexual activity, and the whole 13 years of age thing is irrelevant anyway since all prefectures have a minimum age of 18+ for any sexual activity (barring the whole 16+ with family approval/intent for marriage loophole). So should he be around her and should anything untoward happen, he's on the hook for it as the adult. It's basically statutory rape, whether she desperately wants it to happen or not. Things like disappearing with the girl to another city on that train is such a huge no-no whether or not he was basically just being pulled along by her. He had the opportunity to say no, but he went along with it. Again, there could be legitimate kidnapping implications here since he's an adult, he should have had the sound mind to reject what she was doing instead of going with her.

Basically until she's a full fledged adult in the eyes of the law, her mother has a lot of control over her and could absolutely intervene in her dating a middle aged man legally.

@relic626 girls tends to get paranoid even with the most little signs, specially in real life.

hell, it isnt even a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread