Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 4 Ch. 27 - Strange and Normal

Dex-chan lover
@aFFi
Most users are taking Dad's side here.
Those who don't feel like they entirely skipped the story so far to talk shit.

@Tamerlane At the end of the day, the guy is both an parent and a adult. Both of them have lost someone important to them and are dealing with it in their own ways. The way they're dealing with it is both bad and unhealthy for them. She's pushing away her only remaining parent, being resentful and shutting down. The Dad is using other means of escape and finding comfort in a 16 year old girl who has her own issues. He's still the worse one between the three. It's exhausting to constantly manage work and life on top of caring about someone's mental health when you yourself are struggling as a single parent of the opposite sex. One that resents you for not being there when her mom died.
@Harem_Sovereign That is the real world. He's an adult, those two are minors. The daughter isn't showing any maturity. The father is a train-wreck of a person and parent who is a victim of circumstance and poor decision making. Then you add in the girl latching on to all of this as if there isn't underlying consequences for someone she cares about. He's still the worse out of them. All of them are doing their "Best" at dealing with their baggage which isn't saying much.

Dex-chan lover
Not really pedo, just creepy. The age of consent for most of the Western World ranges anywhere from 15-18, meaning she's probably in the clear in that aspect. It's just weird to see someone more than twice her age enter a relationship with them, though in this case, he's not really done anything of questionable legality as he's been mature and has shut down any sexual or physical advances. @Xoldin

@ADende Here's a question: what choice does he realistically have? No one is willing to extend that olive branch to help him until Kii shows up. He's swamped with work and has very little free time, as he's bogged down trying to raise an unresponsive child and be independent. He's grieving and is in just as much pain, if not more, as his daughter, who blames him for all her issues because she lacks the maturity to understand his struggle. He's surrounded by immovable walls that won't give nor budge all closing around him. He's in the pits of despair, as his world and life comes crashing down around him and he's thrust into an unsustainable position. He's tried to be there, he's tried to be a good father and listen to his daughter, but she wouldn't give him that courtesy. He can't risk losing his job because he's the sole reason they're able to put food on the table and keep the lights on, and so he's sacrificed all he could to try and reach out to his estranged daughter. He's made mistakes, but you have to understand the pressures he's put under and how he himself can be viewed as neglected to an extent from human empathy and that fundamental connection that drives all of us.

You may judge him for his relationship, but when you find yourself on the throes of lamentation, your only family actively hating you no matter how much you try and your job demanding ever more of you until you, yourself, either break or can't take it anymore and finally decide to end it all, you, yourself, just might take the first hand that tries to pull you out of that dark place, no matter how it may be.

@Tamerlane He's no doubt a victim of circumstances and I understand his plight. Like I said before, It's exhausting to constantly manage work and life on top of caring about someone's mental health when you yourself are struggling as a single parent of the opposite sex. It's a messed up situation all around. To make matters worse he's even aware of it yet still does the things he does with Kii, who is unfortunately the only relief he has. It's obvious he cares about his daughter to prep food and work the hours he does. Yes, he's trying. However, finding Solace in a 16 year old who is aggressively being sexual towards you isn't something that's excused. I'm judging him based on his balance of work and life which isn't entirely his fault and his relationship with the characters in the story. Miya isn't any better. She isn't helping the situation and doesn't seem to understand her father's internal struggle with grief and work (which is strange given how companies the dad works at not being rare). The dad working long hours only shows her that he's still doing the same thing that he was doing before the mom died. Which is unfair to the father because it's clear he's trying to change. He's just doing a shit job at it given his age.

With that being said, he's still the worse one out of the entire situation, with Kii being close just off the basis that the Dad is clearly a trainwreck and forcing him to battle societal taboos on top of his baggage is pretty damn cruel, even if it does spark moments of relief for him. Like the situation at the house. That was completely unnecessary for her to do that.

Daughter act and Judge her friend say she is the worse and slap her..

Me reading this from the beginning : If she is the worse, and what are you? You dickhead EMO shit?? Not going to school, ranting like a bitch, but still using the resource (money) and eating food from the person that REALLY need you support to begin with. Yes, your father need you, but where are you??

LoL...

I understand if other people judge the father and friend, because its quite true, in the eyes of people who didn't know the full story and the law itself. But the daughter tho? Judging people like that? Bitch please.. 😄

Some people must also understand that koto doesn't care about boys her own age, because of what's happening at home, because of her mother. She absolutely needs an adult in her life, that's why she feels that she doesn't judge her by saying that she's only 16 years old and she doesn't know what she's doing. She entered adulthood before her other classmates and has to manage her family situation, she sees the father as a good person, kind, caring, which would allow her to obtain a certain balance and also perhaps to quickly leave home because she suffocates there ... she sees no interest with a boy of her age who will not be able to help her solve her problems. At the same time she doesn't complain, she is a girl in a rather pure sense, even if in the end it's a drama.

People forget that beside losing his wife hes never had time or person to grieve or be appreciated hes a screw up at home and screw up at work.

For along time he needed a mental escape and the girl represented that obviously he was sexually attracted to her but even that he might of been flattered that someone could appreciate him in that way.

Still hes tried his best to keep up the mask of the responsible adult and in every turn his daughters friend keeps trying to pull him back in.

In the end of the day the daughter should atleast hear the dad out but the dad also royally effed up what he said in that moment. The only thing I'll say on the daughter is besides her actions hurting her dad in long run deciding to be a shut in will hurt her. Its obviously in her interactions in school she doesn't like dealing with people and reason she originally quit school because didn't like its pressure. Where unlike the father he doesn't have the luxury to escape his problems so in that respect shes been very selfish.

Funny thing if he didn't meet kiichan he might had a normal relationship and coping system with new coworker. I do feel bad for kiichan in this mix too her mom really needs to be called out for the abuse which makes wonder why she hasn't told anyone which makes me nervous that she has something sinister planned.

On a side not I don't trust that delinquent a part of me feels he kind of set these events.

Fed-Kun's army
Forget train wrecks and plane crashes, this is a meteor strike in slow motion. Not quite a supernova, but still catastrophic on a global level.

Hope his sub-ordinate doesn't snitch as she doesn't seem like that kind of character; but in the ~80% of cases of office workers in a manga and some drama goes down almost always leads down jeopardising work/social status and security.

I used to hate reading this while it was in the single digits of chapters, but know I'm surprised by how much I look forward to it. Hopefully all is well.

Welp there goes the bubble of tension that had been building since the beginning. No joke, Miya alone makes me want to never have kids.

Fuck you miya. You are the one who is the problem!!!!
If she doesn't be fucking sentimental and shut-in everything can be "NORMAL"

Dex-chan lover
I might have sided against the MC if he gave in to his carnal physical desires with Kii-chan, but the key thing is that he didn't. You could argue that entering the relationship was irresponsible in the first place, and it sort of is, but he's been responsible about it by trying to keep the relationship chaste for now. If he didn't need the relationship so much, I might have blamed him, but considering how much his life and the people around him suck, it's hard to blame him for a chaste relationship with a 16 year old (which is old enough for marriage in many parts of the world and pretty much all parts of it 100 years or so ago.) Maybe if she were 5, yeah, but that's not the case.

Kii-chan has been irresponsible, though at least she regrets it to some extent. She has a lot of issues, though that's because her mom has a lot of issues.

The daughter though, where do I start? Not going to school because for a dead mom? Maybe a week or so, but she's been gone for months! Little kids can go to school soon after their parents die already, but she's already a teenager. Not talking to the father for the same amount of time is even more unforgivable unless he was a horrible parent. He's lacking as a single parent, but there's no indication that he was abusive or even too neglectful while his wife was around. There's also not too much indication that her behavior can be blamed on her parents either, unless they spoiled her too much. There's not much someone can do about Japanese work culture, but if the daughter was more cooperative, the MC would be a lot less stressed. There's things the MC could have done better as a dad, but she didn't even try as a daughter.

Group Leader
Although no one is perfect, which is perfectly normal, the one I find issue with the most is definitely the daughter... Always looking to put the blame on something and someone else and run and escape

Dex-chan lover
So far, the only arguments against Miya seem to be:

1) Her father pays the bills so she should let him do as he wants and shut her mouth
2) She's not trying to understand her father
3) She's stayed holed up for a year and now has the gall to blame her father for coping in his own way

In order...

1) Is that seriously an argument? "I'm paying for your expenses and I'm your parent, so you have nothing to say"? That's a pretty horrible mentality to have, thinking that you're entitled to having power over someone else and that they should go along with whatever you do because you provide them with money. And that's most definitely not how a parent should think.

2) Remember that she doesn't have much of an idea of what is going on exactly. From her perspective, Kiko and her Dad are just fooling around, and they've kept lying to her and playing her for a fool to keep it under wraps. Now that she's realized it, how could she trust them? Obviously she's going to lash out and feel like she can't believe either of them anymore. Also, Dad is horrible at communicating. Instead of talking to his daughter about his problems, he'd rather play the part of the responsible parent, even though he keeps cracking under pressure and lying to save face. Not once has he tried to open up to his daughter about how much he's hurting, how hellish work is, how lost he feels as a widower and a parent, etc. By contrast, Miya has undertaken efforts to better herself (going back to school and studying hard to make up for lost time) and has communicated with her Dad about her issues.

As a side note, remember that Dad's pressure appears to be mostly self-imposed. His workaholic attitude and straight-laced behavior have made him something of a joke at work, where even his colleagues think he's being excessive, to the point that he's soft-banned from events and parties due to being such a stick in the mud. Does he actually need to put himself through so much pressure? The story has never indicated so. He keeps complaining about his colleagues being irresponsible and carefree, but he himself is stubbornly carrying on as a workaholic, seemingly without ever questioning how destructive his attitude is.

3) Miya remained in her room for so long because she was having a very hard time coping with her mother's death and felt like she couldn't communicate with her father. It wasn't because she "didn't feel like doing better" or something. During that time, Dad isn't shown to have gone through particular efforts to build bridges with her, except by cooking her food and knocking on her door every now and then. Meanwhile, Dad has kept on stubbornly refusing to speak out about his own issues, and hasn't undertaken any efforts to discourage Kiko's affections. Heck, even though he can very obviously see that Kiko's situation at home is far from ideal and has gotten strong hints that her mother is, not to put too fine a point on it, a psycho, he hasn't done anything to understand her or help her. Where Miya has been a passive victim of her own hurting and has been addressing it, Dad has been more actively complicit of it, going along with Kiko's advances, never actually saying: "This will not happen, we need to talk."

I'm not saying Miya is completely innocent, and she certainly isn't helping matters, but of everyone included, she feels the most like a victim to me, while Dad feels the most irresponsible of the bunch.

Of course, the best thing for everyone involved would be to sit down and talk about everything, instead of carrying on with unsaid truths, repressed grudges, and unhealthy delusions... but whether that will happen or not is anyone's guess.

Contributor
Miya talking about "being normal", while she was a shut-in for a year while in highschool, something not really normal at all...

Funny.

Users who are viewing this thread