Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 5 Ch. 43 - Fish

Dex-chan lover
Am I dumb? What's the point of this chapter? I'm so bad at understanding symoblism lol

Dex-chan lover
@musicfreak12
TLDR
Her parents' strained relationship broke her family apart and she's forced to keep the good girl act. Gets stress and depression in turn.
Kousuke was going the same path (his family is destroyed and has to keep the working/family man act) as her but meeting each other became their only solace in their lives.

Symbolism is YMMV content, Koto was like a fish, happy as long as she could swim but she got to see there was an aquarium and her parents had different/conflicting views about it, father saw being trapped within a confined space was miserable, just like his married life with his control freak wife.
On the other side the wife saw this controlled space as beautiful, if it's within her control anything "bad" could be avoided.
Thus the husband chose to leave the aquarium, and the mother chose to stay within.
Koto became the direct victim of her parents' choices because she still loved both equally.

Dex-chan lover
@Kuroageha
I see I see, thanks for the explanation, I was thinking that she choose to live in ignorance, rejecting his father's view of the aquarium and letting it all flow, Que Sera Sera

I came to that conclusion because of that swimming scene where she suddenly transported into the aquarium, "Accepting" her fate as a fish in an aquarium that are made by her mom.

Dex-chan lover
Completely agree with the dad. Locking up animals for our amusement is archaic, barbaric, condescending, and inhumane (err... inlifeane? Actually why is there no word that refers to inhumane treatment with all of life as a reference instead of just one species? Or is there? If there is I’d love to know it)... oh and I completely missed the point (of the chapter) didn’t I?

Dex-chan lover
@TNT261
I completely agree with you, locking them up is a waste of food. I mean why look at them when they can be used to feed the starving and homeless. How barbaric and inhumane, do these people have something against the hungry or something?

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, I much prefer Wild Words than Gabriola. And good job with the translation.

So, Kisaragi's backstory is sad as balls. That's nothing new, given her psycho mom form a few chapters prior. What is new is previously cheery, optimistic and moe Kisaragi. That was extremely refreshing to see instead of her usual depressed self.

This mood... It's kosuke's turn to kiss Koto this time.
Don't be pressed there isn't enough dilfs in romance...
🥺👉👈

Dex-chan lover
Just like her distant relative, Chihaya.
Koto Kisaragi is a great idol...

with parent problems
koto-kisaragi-idol.png

Only difference is she isn't flat

I appreciate the chapter, but is it worth sniping from bear scans? They were doing it consistently and they might end up dropping it and then you will and then we're left with no one doing it and round and round it goes. Oh well thanks for the chapter regardless.

@Darudius Sorry if I sound an asshole, but I don't think you can call their updates "consistent". I mean, I pretty much forgot about this manga because the scans are so slow. Maybe the raws are hard to find, or maybe they have other mangas to work, anyway, the updates are just too slow considering its a twenty-page chapter. And just to emphasize one more time, I may sound an asshole because they do it for free, so I apologize for that

@Ruroumi nah you dont, you're good. You have a point, I just don't want another great series to die because of sniping is all.

Dex-chan lover
@musicfreak12

Kinda expanding on @Kuroageha 's point, the symbolism is meant to portray that she is becoming more sympathetic with her father as she matures, herself. Hence why her past self enjoys being "inside" the fishtank as demonstrated with the last few pages yet her current self says she despises it.

Initially, the father is implied to be kinda immoral and selfish by the fact he left with another woman, but as the manga goes on, it's clear he was more so trying to leave an abusive situation with a controlling wife. It's not that he doesn't care about his daughter as he's trapped in kinda a mid-life crisis and so ultimately decides to start anew.

The story is meant to parallel Maya and her father's situation, with the difference being that the father left his wife due to her death and stayed with his daughter, showing the difference between the two moreso than her father's situation, which signifies a more responsible personality.

Honestly, I hope he comes back for his daughter at some point and smacks some sense into his wife (not literally but metaphorically)

Group Leader
Sorry in advance for the long post, I wanted to reply to everyone properly!

@thebossofthisgym @Darkmeep @Dundun123 @momojojo @starlightcitypro @ triforce @MiiaBestWaifu @NEONBLISS @PedroSimao002 @HaraZhi
Thank you very much! I appreciate it and I have fun doing it too!

@Cantsearchwithtachiyomi
I've tried creating one, but it's a bit non-user friendly, this system. And by filtering, I bet you mean, filtering me out, lol

ikhwan26
thanks for the link! i did find this guide when you suggested it to me in the previous chapter's comments. i've checked it out and i'm trying my best to emulate it. i probably default to less flashiness to avoid looking gaudy or weird, like my previous ad lib choice of Gabriola font, lol, but i'll probably/hopefully improve with time :)

it does seem like there's a time skip, but it's really not explained. i didn't mask out any text that could've explained it afaik.

@Jmann
i really hope i won't cause any issues as this isn't my goal. i took care of contacting the uploader of Bears and they told me we had no beef, that i could upload my version, so i felt more confident to post this chapter!

@musicfreak12
it's funny, i may have looked at it a lot to translate it and all, and read everything many times, but i also wasn't too brilliant in decoding the symbolism, lol

@Kuroageha @Tamerlane
Appreciate your in-depth analysis!!!

@Darudius
I certainly don't intend to drop this work though!

@Luke_chase
I rather would prefer being called an alternative, lol. I'm inexperienced, but I love this manga and really enjoy translating it!

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane
A literal smacking is fine too lol, but still, I think if his father came back for her it would be too out of character, seeing that she is "part of his past" and it would remind him of his past wife that are controlling, not to mention that his new wife would reject her

I guess it would be better if she ended up with the MC considering that she's attracted to him because she sees him as his father figure more than a lover. And I guess Maya would be fine with that if she stopped being a bitch and actually tries to understand why his father is dating one of her friend

Users who are viewing this thread