Musume no Tomodachi

Love the story, a lot of Drama, but there was no sexual violence unless you count getting slap by your mom is, its more ecchi then sexual violence. 10/10

@Lukaskyboss Elitist ? I'm not an elite, especially in terms of money, I'm just like anybody else.

And yes I have arguments of authority because all my family ever had was knowledge or their brain^^ not ambition, greed etc; only studies.

I sacrificed a lot for these studies, even my health on top of being insomniac though I was talented, I wasn't even the most hard-working in my family so going from not so much work to 2 hours of sleep a day to studying/thinking in all kinds of academic fields (cinema, literature, history, geography, languages, latin, greek, philosophy, is all I have) for years destroyed my body^^. Everything is "elitist" to people nowadays while there are objective qualities in people and things, especially mediums. I don't care to seem smart, why would I? I'm just saying to heed my advice because people on the internet with social medias spread a lot of misinformation, anti-intellectualism. Before you couldn't be a journalist or write in the press without a diploma or some qualifications. Now everybody writes about everything without any knowledge whatsoever, the rule of opinions and a public tribunal is what internet has become. So you're in the world where you hate intellectual elites more so than other elites who earn absurd amounts of money.

I'm not saying I made a demonstration (it's not a dissertation or an essay, so de facto it wouldn't work), just an opinion with some arguments you could use in one, just an opinion a bit more relevant on popular, sub-literature (definetely not classic) that manga/manhua/manhwa and comics are, which are more appealing to kids, teenagers and young adults.

Double-page supporter
MAN THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT ON HOW THIS ENDED

I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED WITH THAT ENDING THAT FELT INCOMPLETE
good manga tho

Gotta say, very disappointed with the ending.
Unlike a mystery, whete leaving things open to interpretation allows the reader to delve into the story themselves, this is just unfinished.
Almost every single plot thread is left frayed and loose. Which is poor considering the fact this is a drama, and the entire point is seeing the growth and ending of these characters.
Really disappointed, as id been following this manga for nearly 8 months now. Came back to see the last few chapters were up.

@Bazarow It's seems you don't really care about building a dramatic story.
Yes, these possible outcomes would've been horrible for the characters, but you have to notice that all of the characters involved seem to have been psychologically unstable, and the things that happened in succession made them retreat out of their social contacts even more, because it affected them so much. The whole story is breaking down the existing bonds in an attempt to kindle a single new one.

If you didn't notice that, I feel sorry for you (and your intellect because you seem to have some issues to ad hominem someone you don't even know, you didn't have to read that spoiler at all and yet you blame me for your choice to read through it).
This story tries to replicate the not usually shown ugly side of the Japanese society, and this could've well included suicide and rape
as the possibility of rape was teased,too
; it would have made sense in the case as the story could've focused on the healing side then instead of just ending it as it happened.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is good. It tackles age gap pretty well, and it follows an adult with responsibilities struggling to juggle between his work life, family, and self being. It's also a coming of age for the female lead and her struggle with a broken family. Ending is a little rushed and a few loose ends, weak side characters, but the story and main characters are top notched. 8/10.

Group Leader
@Kuroageha someone on reddit bought the physical volume and mentioned there were no extra chapters, so i left it at that 😔 i also checked the raw site and no new chapter there either. sucks a bit...

like i would consider offing myself in her position, and the manga treats it like she should just roll with it

For the folks who understandably confused about the ending, I'll break down the last two chapters:

Its as good ending, but it is a little unsatisfying as a lot of reading between the lines is needed, as I think the Managaka probably made the ending deliberately unclear as they likely didn't want to risk further outrage on what's already a touchy subject matter in a conservative society by spelling it out plainly.

Kousuke is shown at work. He is ostracized. The opening has him out very literally out alone in the cold. He's apart from the other smokers, and on his way back in the ladies in the elevator very literally talk about him behind his back. His coworker who who had a crush on him is completely ignoring him (and while discussing the inn project they'd worked on together), when he wants to go out after work his friends are doing that 'ha ha ...well, maybe some other time' way of saying 'yeah....um, no, never'.
His company hasn't (and won't) fire him, but they aren't sending him work. He is the only one at the section without anything on his desk. This is management telling you that you aren't worth firing, and they are relying on your peers socially pressuring you into leaving, and their last memories will be not of your hard work but of you being a deadweight freeloader. He's also shown before having been promoted to section chief, but someone else is talking directly to his supposed subordinate with him right there. Basically he is a complete pariah at his job.

But we're told by his monologue that he's still planning on a future with Koto, and just dealing with it. He's staying the course despite the what his job (i.e. society) is doing to him. But as the Club Girls tell us, his eyes are dead. Its getting to him, he's being worn down.

Miya is shown still hanging out with her boy, and boy is telling her to stop obsessing over what her father is doing and "eat her fries" - who cares what your dad is doing, focus on enjoying your own life.

In the final chapter, Kousuke goes to the cafe he met Koto in. He says seeing Koto is against the rules without contacting "her" first; maybe the original japanese is more clear, but I'd guess is 'her' refers to Koto's mother. Which I take to means implies that Koto's mother has accepted their relationship to some degree, and presumably meaning that Kousuke isn't allowed to see Koto without her mother chaperoning. (Based on comments/dialogue in the other chapters about it having been a few months since they last saw each other, I'm presuming that means they've been in contact since the events of chapter 58)

Koto is working at the cafe again, showing us things are going better with her mother (something Koto explicitly confirms a few pages further). Kousuke is having a hard time, and starts to show his doubts. Maybe someone had a better description/context but in response, Koto tells him a story, that she recants as just a lie to distract him (and the reader) - at at the end of it, Koto has grabbed his hand when they were simply walking side by side before.

After this, we see them see another permutation of the "Moon" allegory that we've seen several times before. This time, instead of simply leaving the moon hanging there, it is 'stolen' and kept between them. Kousuke can know that Koto loves him and her feelings will with be with him, even if they can't be with each other physically currently.

The final panel is Kousuke announcing he is home. Which I believe means he and Miya are patching up their relationship - he would need someone in the apartment to announce his arrival to. Especially with the diner scene with Miya, I'm taking that to mean she's dealing with what's going on.

so tl;dr is that Kousuke and Koto are in it for the long haul and planning to continue their relationship once Koto is legally an adult. Koto and her Mother are detoxifying their relationship. Kousuke and his daughter are working on patching things up. The present is rough, but the future is hopeful.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

This manga is my guilty pleasure.

The ending is understandable, i would assume they would keep their relationship in secret and wait until her graduation or after being a proper adult. Feels bad for the daughter tho.

"My friend is my mother"

Dex-chan lover
Skimming all of your comments... I am about to ride one hell of a roller coaster, aren't I?

Users who are viewing this thread