My Hero Academia - Ch. 429 - I Am Here

Dex-chan lover
Likely saved her life. AFO would not have stood for a good samaritan ruining his masterpiece.
It's kind of a silly thing for Horikoshi to imply that Shigaraki was just one small act of kindness short of not becoming a mass murderer this whole time after he went out of his way to show that AFO was personally responsible for every single bad thing to ever happen in Shigaraki's entire life and that he was doomed to misery from the start.

Double-page supporter
I honestly liked what was left until the penultimate chapter. The comings and goings of the series, the dozens of relevant characters (who I hope can be worked on in spinoffs one day), the script that could have been a little better (it ended up being a little shallow, but maybe I should reread it one day and delve deeper), anyway...

- Deku and Ochaco crying together - end of the line for "shippers".

- Hawks kind of contradicting himself about keeping the "hero rank" - interesting.

- A new character to show the future of those who suffered from mutations - cool.

Apparently, the "League of Villains" is over. In other words, almost everyone has died (the only one reported alive so far is Iguchi/Spinner. Dabi IS DYING! And Toga sacrificed himself.) Of course, the so-called "future book - or comic if Iguchi follows Midoriya's idea" - coming out may perhaps tease the future a little.

However, works like My Hero, despite being consumer products, have that "message to be conveyed" thing: if EVERYONE collaborates, EVERYONE will have a happy ending, no matter how much trouble they have gone through in the past.

A society that after a disagreement came together to fight someone so selfish, stupid, almost dictatorial (despite thinking about anomie), petty, etc. (such as extremist politicians, coup-plotting generals, etc.)... let's hope it is a society that seeks to avoid creating new villains, and if they do appear, they try to do everything so that either the villain redeems himself and lives in society without harming anyone, or isolates himself to avoid conflict.

See you in the last chapter, folks!

Wow, didn't expect that many people to be unsatisfied with the story, I wanna blame it on how slow it was and everyone forgetting most of it, but then again, most might be just hurt that it didn't go the way they wanted, the villan lovers mainly.

I say it's official, I wanted a smooch but I guess this is good enough, our main couple is here!
woo-yeah-baby-thats-what-ive-been-waiting-for-v0-5hw8o03moxza1.gif

I'm getting kinda sad that the next is the last, but it is time to wrap it up.
Cute chapter, society is kinder now, Eri singning is sweet, things seem to be going better and better for the people at least, and everyone in class is happy.

Let's see the end, let it be satisfactory please.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's kind of a silly thing for Horikoshi to imply that Shigaraki was just one small act of kindness short of not becoming a mass murderer this whole time after he went out of his way to show that AFO was personally responsible for every single bad thing to ever happen in Shigaraki's entire life and that he was doomed to misery from the start.
The things is that we don't know that. Even if AFO intervened and also killed the grannny, her willingness to help could have marked Shigaraki and helped make him less focused on being just a destructive force.

The point is that we don't know how much a single gesture of kindness or heroism could help someone else, as others mentioned in the comments, she pretty much might have saved many lives in this chapter, we will never know, but we can only hope that what little we can do will be enough to make a difference.

Dex-chan lover
Hori continues to write these epilogue chapters as if they were following a different, far deeper, more involved story than the one he wrote and published for years.
I think this is the best way to put it. They always had this issue of trying to tackle things they weren't gonna develop well. We begin with heroes not taking risks and saving and helping people being second to stardom and glory. We also have heroes quitting when the going gets tough, but then out of nowhere they're all as heroic as superman and come out of their retirement sooner than a pro boxer without much prompt. Stain was presented as a villain that was right but then the story proceeded to prove him dead wrong every step of the way.

The whole thing with "cause grandma is here" sounds awesome and wholesome but it's hollow as sin. She was inspired by Deku? why? Deku was "the" strongest hero fighting "the" strongest villain(s?), in the middle of a hero/villain war that consisted of hundreds of participants. Koichi from the Vigilantes series is a better inspiration for that.

Dex-chan lover
I think this is the best way to put it. They always had this issue of trying to tackle things they weren't gonna develop well. We begin with heroes not taking risks and saving and helping people being second to stardom and glory. We also have heroes quitting when the going gets tough, but then out of nowhere they're all as heroic as superman and come out of their retirement sooner than a pro boxer without much prompt. Stain was presented as a villain that was right but then the story proceeded to prove him dead wrong every step of the way.

The whole thing with "cause grandma is here" sounds awesome and wholesome but it's hollow as sin. She was inspired by Deku? why? Deku was "the" strongest hero fighting "the" strongest villain(s?), in the middle of a hero/villain war that consisted of hundreds of participants. Koichi from the Vigilantes series is a better inspiration for that.
Without context, a lot of these ideas sound good and seem like they would have made for interesting plotlines. Like exploring how the hero rankings are actually causing massive problems and creating a whole generation of selfish, vain heroes... But every ranked and big-name pro hero we meet is genuinely good and self-sacrificing and more than willing to give their lives to protect the innocent. It's not until several hundred chapters in that we hear of some nobodies who quit heroing because it was too dangerous.

So having Hawks and All Might wax philosophical about tearing down or changing this awful, corrupt system feels like it's from a different story that Horikoshi did not write... and that's currently the case for every single major theme and plot thread and bit of world building. Sounds like it could have been cool. Everything that did happen contradicts it out of existence, but we're going to pretend it didn't and nod sagely as the whole manga wraps up and pats itself on the back for the story it didn't tell.

Dex-chan lover
Without context, a lot of these ideas sound good and seem like they would have made for interesting plotlines. Like exploring how the hero rankings are actually causing massive problems and creating a whole generation of selfish, vain heroes... But every ranked and big-name pro hero we meet is genuinely good and self-sacrificing and more than willing to give their lives to protect the innocent. It's not until several hundred chapters in that we hear of some nobodies who quit heroing because it was too dangerous.

So having Hawks and All Might wax philosophical about tearing down or changing this awful, corrupt system feels like it's from a different story that Horikoshi did not write... and that's currently the case for every single major theme and plot thread and bit of world building. Sounds like it could have been cool. Everything that did happen contradicts it out of existence, but we're going to pretend it didn't and nod sagely as the whole manga wraps up and pats itself on the back for the story it didn't tell.
Some of the top ranked heroes quit 'heroing' just because they failed, like that samurai one or the other with concrete hands, if they had been true heroes from the beginning they wouldn't have quit like the others. Endeavour himself, the number two hero, was so obsessed with being on the number 1 spot that the complete Todoroki plot happened. Sure he still wanted to save people, but it was a job, always looking for efficiency and effectiveness, like a person that just shows up to put out the fire and forgets to make sure that everyone is safe and emotionally fine. There is a whole message about how All Might was so iconic and beloved JUST because he always smiled, and because everyone knew why he did it. The many times it was mentioned about heroes not just quitting but outright becoming villains, the exams with other schools were we saw plenty of questionable students that are not exactly the best kind of people for the job.

I get why some may feel like those themes and others across the story weren't deeply explored and all of that; but we have to understand some things:
1.- This is a manga, a story that the author wanted to tell and he included other aspects to make the world more alive, but dedicating complete arcs and focus on all of them would distract from the main story. I'm sure we are smart enough to understand what those themes entail, we don't have to have The Boys kind of stories to show a corrupt hero society, or Nazi (X-men) levels of discrimination to imagine what the heteromorphs might have suffered for their appearance.

2.- This is a manga, written by a single guy and made with the idea of ending as soon as his story is done, unlike other types of media and content, like certain comic companies that will not let their stories and worlds end until they have spent any and every plot and idea they can think of. Even amazing and complex worlds like the one created by Tolkien have many plots that weren't fully explored, for example, he introduced the idea that deep in the planet there were dark beings that even Gandalf and the Balrog didn't dare mess with. Who are they? where did they come from? what happened to them after the war of the ring? probably not even him knew, but they don't matter to the main story, they were just flavor to show that the war of the ring is but just one of the many stories of that world. Left to the imagination.

Just look at those other stories that have tried to address every single problem or part of their world, only to start to lose audience and fans because of how convoluted, lore-breaking, retconning and un-interesting the new stories become. It has happened even in manga, just look at Boruto, Dragon ball Super, Gantz G and E, Goblin Slayer and its 5 spin-offs, etc. And let's not even talk about Star wars, Harry Potter, World of Warcraft, etc.

Dex-chan lover
Some of the top ranked heroes quit 'heroing' just because they failed, like that samurai one or the other with concrete hands, if they had been true heroes from the beginning they wouldn't have quit like the others. Endeavour himself, the number two hero, was so obsessed with being on the number 1 spot that the complete Todoroki plot happened. Sure he still wanted to save people, but it was a job, always looking for efficiency and effectiveness, like a person that just shows up to put out the fire and forgets to make sure that everyone is safe and emotionally fine. There is a whole message about how All Might was so iconic and beloved JUST because he always smiled, and because everyone knew why he did it. The many times it was mentioned about heroes not just quitting but outright becoming villains, the exams with other schools were we saw plenty of questionable students that are not exactly the best kind of people for the job.

I get why some may feel like those themes and others across the story weren't deeply explored and all of that; but we have to understand some things:
1.- This is a manga, a story that the author wanted to tell and he included other aspects to make the world more alive, but dedicating complete arcs and focus on all of them would distract from the main story. I'm sure we are smart enough to understand what those themes entail, we don't have to have The Boys kind of stories to show a corrupt hero society, or Nazi (X-men) levels of discrimination to imagine what the heteromorphs might have suffered for their appearance.

2.- This is a manga, written by a single guy and made with the idea of ending as soon as his story is done, unlike other types of media and content, like certain comic companies that will not let their stories and worlds end until they have spent any and every plot and idea they can think of. Even amazing and complex worlds like the one created by Tolkien have many plots that weren't fully explored, for example, he introduced the idea that deep in the planet there were dark beings that even Gandalf and the Balrog didn't dare mess with. Who are they? where did they come from? what happened to them after the war of the ring? probably not even him knew, but they don't matter to the main story, they were just flavor to show that the war of the ring is but just one of the many stories of that world. Left to the imagination.

Just look at those other stories that have tried to address every single problem or part of their world, only to start to lose audience and fans because of how convoluted, lore-breaking, retconning and un-interesting the new stories become. It has happened even in manga, just look at Boruto, Dragon ball Super, Gantz G and E, Goblin Slayer and its 5 spin-offs, etc. And let's not even talk about Star wars, Harry Potter, World of Warcraft, etc.
I don't think anything you've said is wrong or fundamentally disagree, but at the same time, I find it insulting that we have these legitimate excuses for why the series didn't exhaustively delve into these topics, but we're still wrapping up many big plot arcs like it did address them effectively. It wants the payoff that follows those complex topics without actually properly exploring them, and that's just bad writing. The whole series actually suffers from Horikoshi biting off more than he can chew and then spitting out a half-formed plot beat about corrupt heroes or quirk racism or how the guy who loved mass murder was actually a really cool dude if you got to know him.

It would have been better not to bring these things up at all since they clearly, objectively, did not get the spotlight time or development they needed to be done even at a bare minimum level.

Dex-chan lover
how the guy who loved mass murder was actually a really cool dude if you got to know him.
Who do you mean? I only saw evil guys with tragic backstories, none of them was presented like a good person. Just as cases of people that if they had received the help they needed maybe the wouldn't have become the monsters they actually became.

Dex-chan lover
He saved the world
The 'weakass friends' that began to change the world and also spend the money and time to research and create the technollogy that would allow him to become a hero again.
The 'lesbian cut' was a war scar, and it was gone very quickly
Everyone that we saw interact with him or talk about him treated him like an amazing hero
'Bro peaked in highschool' well duh, he peaked so much that he created peace time that has lasted almost a decade. Why is that something that is being said as an insult?

Users who are viewing this thread