My ID Is Gangnam Beauty - Ch. 77 - One More Time

I hope this isn't an example of when an author thinks that because an MC forgives the horrible character, that the audience will naturally do the same. It could just be that I am a very petty person but I still hate Sooah. No matter what she went through in the past it doesn't justify her horrible treatment of others, especially Mirae, she will need to do a lot to make up for it before she deserves forgiveness in my opinion.

Aggregator gang
Hmmmm I didn't like Soo ah much begin with but something like that is not something I would want happening on anyone even if I don't like them. But well, if that has made Soo ah come back from her craziness then maybe I might like her a bit more. This situation is that of when the gloomy characters meet a person so opposite to them that they are brought back to the right path, just this time is like it was a lesson to Soo ah so that she can learn to view the world in a different manner...

kyn

@JordanFurneaux I don't think we are really supposed to like Sooah, or necessarily forgive her for her previous actions. As you pointed out, her past experiences do not justify her horrible treatment of others. I think Sooah is more a vehicle for a theme that has been constant in this webtoon; which is, that surface beauty has no correlation to happiness. It in fact often the cause of unhappiness because of how easy it is for the perception of others and society to affect one's own perception of self-worth.

My hope is that we quickly gloss over Sooah's recovery and go back to what most of us are more interested in: the development of Mirae's relationship.

anf

Aggregator gang
@jordanfurneaux
I honestly feel that Sooah hasn't done that many awful things though. Sure she was insulting to Mirae and she was cutthroat on staying at the top of the "pretty chart" but considering her past and how frail her ego was I think she deserves to be forgiven. She was like Mirae in that she could only see the world in a way that was detrimental to her. Sooah was just more upfront about it. Mirae managed to get out with the help of her boyfriend and friends and Sooah will hopefully be able to get out with the help of Mirae and some friends she didn't realize she had.

Dex-chan lover
People deserve to be forgiven when they repent. At least a sincere apology and ideally some kind of attempt to make up for it. Soo Ah isn't there yet. For the first time there are signs she may at some point arrive, but not yet.
I still feel sorry for her and I don't think either her past or the attack should have happened to her. But that doesn't make her own actions OK . . . those are two different things.
Ah well. She likes cats; there are worse things to build on towards being a decent person.

I really liked this chapter! I don't forgive what she has done, but i do want to see her become a person. She has only been a shell, reflecting what people around her thought she should be. She doesn't even know who she is, beyond being pretty.
Also what she said to her therapist was so sad and so real ?.

I dont think that Soo Ah needs to be forgiven or anything. I think its is fine, as long as she can reflect on her past actions and through that become a better person (or in her case: become a person and not an image in the first place), she should get a chance to redeem herself. People shouldnt get judged by their past mistakes if they make an honest effort to overcome them. Yes, people make mistakes and some of them are worse then others, but in general I dont think any person is beyond redemption, unless they are unwilling or unable to strive for it. Its true that her past doesnt excuse her behavior but it explains it. She didnt trample on other peoples "feelings" because she really liked it, she just wanted to keep harm from herself. You might not like what she did and it might not even have been a good way to deal with the situation (it was actually really bad) but it came from the feeling of despair, which is a pretty substantial human feeling. Also she is by no means friends with Mi Rae. Mi Rae just is the first one to treat her like a person apart from her beauty because she realizes that Soo Ah has more or less has been forced into her role by a society that sees beauty as way more important than it should be, much like herself.

Sorry for the rant, but I think the themes of this manga are pretty interesting and deserve some thought.

Aggregator gang
Where did Mirae go? She wouldn't just leave Sooah after confirming she's physically okay.... Right?

I think this is a really good chapter. Like, I don't feel like the author forces me to forgive or come to like Sooah. She just naturally reflects herself and think about how beauty haven't brought her happiness, how she haven't known who she really was because she only tried to mirror what people expect from her. This is kind of a good character development, and I appreciate it.

Fed-Kun's army
I ship Sooah and the smaller girl that went with her to get the medicine so much now. I was thinking " This is nice how the story arc is going for Sooah. I just wonder if the story will match her up with someone by the end of it" I do kind of like the idea of Sooah and that girl together. They seem to match really well.

I've also noticed that the story seems to be paying less attention to the MC the past couple chapters. I guess that's what happens when you resolve the main plot point early

congrats on making your first friend sooah, welcome to literally kindergarten level interactions with human beings

Double-page supporter
they forget who the mc is? we barely seen here the last 20 chapters

Dex-chan lover
Sooah's development is coming along a lot more nicely than i thought, it doesn't feel completely forced. i don't think she should be forgiven right away but i think she should slowly try to build her true self. i really like the real her, when she's all aloof and all that

I really love Sooah's arc, I mean, I am not forgiving her because only Mirae and those she emotionally manipulate should be the ones to decide but I was hoping for her to grow as a person and heal her own wounds. And she made a great villain, really gave me chills whenever she was plotting something.

Users who are viewing this thread