My Mom Entered a Contract Marriage

I didn't know an artstyle cod be melodramatic but damn if this ain't the most extra style I've seen in a while. At least the story's moderately interesting

I'm finding the Barat kid more creepy then beautiful??? Anyway, Chapter 21 showing our time travelling mama's POV is nice. I hope we see more soon with the current politics!

Dex-chan lover
The father seems to brighten a lot by ch 20. They might want to check if his new skincare products contain mercury.

I mean, it looks very good. The rest though? Pretty much just spoiling the little princess fantasy. Completely fine, but this is a lot of art for not much story or character building.

For new people, or those who don't recognize the art style, the artist, Choo Hae-Yun is the author of "Pale Horse". Their art style is super recognizable.
There are some things I want to put out in "defense" of this manhwa:
1. The original novel. Yes, the original novel is basically a cutesy story about how cute our MC is and her mom is trash, and everything is forgiven coz MC loves her, and everyone loves MC. There is some intrigue, some drama involved, but overall it's a regular Marry Sue story.
2. Why the artist chose this story.
So, the artist Choo Hae-Yun has an instagram account, and there, they shared long time ago how they suffered from depression and even thought of s****de. Their first work, the Pale Horse, is a very, VERY dark and depressing, gory and disturbing story, and the artist took many, MANY breaks to finish it. They said that, at the time, it felt right to draw it, but as time went on, they wanted to change that. So, after Pale Horse finally ended, the author/artist took a long break. I mean, several years long break. Next time they showed up online, they shared they want to work on something cute and light-hearted. I guess this story is exactly what they needed. Just a simple, fun, cute story about a young MC.
3. The story isn't actually that bad. So, for starters, the whole story is from our (now) 8yo MC. Sure, she is naive, and gullible, and a ditz, and somewhat an airhead, but it's okay because she is still so young. On the other hand, MC has been betrayed so many times that it's basically a miracle she still believes in others. I think that is her biggest strength. We do find out that she has amazing gut feeling when it comes to bad people, so she actually knows how to sense danger, which makes her trust in others even more plausible. MC doesn't know much about the world, about culture, about social status, etc. but she knows human emotion very well. She doubts her mother, but she also loves her mother, because she has no one else. Her mother too, is a thot, like an actual one lol, but we do see she regrets the things she's done in the past. I would say, the mother is just lucky that MC is so young so she forgives her easily.
4. The adaptation. I believe Choo Hae-Yun is making the adaptation much better than the original. As I mentioned, the novel didn't receive much praise because it's just... plain and cliché. But the artist knows how to draw out emotion from simple things, they know how to make even a simple interaction meaningful. That's why I think we should just enjoy this manhwa as is, art and all, and not think too much about it.
Thanks for reading my essay. 😂

The adults are in a 16+ political intrigue while the kids are doing their fluff routine. 😂This is absolutely one of the cutest stories I've ever read. She's legitimately just a sweet child putting out kindness in the world and expecting kindness back. But she is by no means an idiot. She can tell when people are truly bad vs when they are not. Don't focus too much on the plot. Maybe it is a very Mary Sue story. But it's also such a gentle story and Lily is just a kind and sweet child. Have some joy in life and just let yourself enjoy the story as it is, instead of looking for some great master plot. There are many great complex stories out there. This story is for those times where you just want something sweet and nice and adorable to make you feel good and happy.

Dex-chan lover
The comedic mood of art here often reminds me of "Miss Not-So Sidekick". It doesn't look similar, but it does feel simiar. With all those memes, over-reactions and mixing of different styles.

Aggregator gang
images

Users who are viewing this thread