My Mom's a Superstar - Ch. 34 - Character Documentary: Youji

Fed-Kun's army
oke majime note, i appreciate the cloud photo backdrop on the plane, it's usually tricky, but they mixed media really well there and it took those 2 panels a lot further in the vibe (imho) :>

Dex-chan lover
somehow I feel like after we started getting the in-manga placement ads, we've detoured from the whole "who's my mom dating" plot to now a warm cozy SOL? lol

not that i'm particularly mad bc i love slice of life, family-comfort type of stuff, but I kinda feel like the more readers this series get, the more watered down the yuri has been

Fed-Kun's army
somehow I feel like after we started getting the in-manga placement ads, we've detoured from the whole "who's my mom dating" plot to now a warm cozy SOL? lol

not that i'm particularly mad bc i love slice of life, family-comfort type of stuff, but I kinda feel like the more readers this series get, the more watered down the yuri has been
(Tamen de Gushi PTSD)

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!!

Man I love youji and youzi so much they're such an adorable mom and daughter combo

Dex-chan lover
I really was expecting an energy drink product placement. Honkai is able to get away with a kiss and erotic tango so I hope the ccp has loosened the reins a bit….

Dex-chan lover
Did this get ccp'd or something
To be honest, from the start it was set up to be baiting. Only the daughter seemed to be suggesting romantic entanglements, while Youji continuously said it wasn't like that.

Our assumption as readers was that it was mere denial, but...it offered the series a way out of having to develop anything.

Sigh, China.

Guys, the university arc 2 is out! You can read it on the author's Weibo. It's really really awesome!!!
After reading, I think that this series is not baiting. The author only didn't make characters show their feelings clearly. The university also ended after 2 chapters, so I think we can have some real progress next.
Looking forward to the new chapter translated, so we can discuss it together TvT
(I'm not an English native speaker, so please ignore all the grammar mistakes)

Dex-chan lover
Guys, the university arc 2 is out! You can read it on the author's Weibo. It's really really awesome!!!
After reading, I think that this series is not baiting. The author only didn't make characters show their feelings clearly. The university also ended after 2 chapters, so I think we can have some real progress next.
Looking forward to the new chapter translated, so we can discuss it together TvT
(I'm not an English native speaker, so please ignore all the grammar mistakes)
If nothing was made clear you can be sure it'll stay like that the entire series, and then it ends with vague open ending we have to interpret.

Me every time I find another of those series that never go past subtext:

If nothing was made clear you can be sure it'll stay like that the entire series, and then it ends with vague open ending we have to interpret.

Me every time I find another of those series that never go past subtext:
SPOIL!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I don't think so. In university arc, Youji showed that she liked Ren too (I'm not sure she still likes her at present, but I think she does). Also, the author's two previous series and one oneshot show clearly that 2 fmc love each other (1 has happy ending, another one has stopped updating at the moment). I think this series just a little "slow burn", and the author doesn't express the characters' thought to make it more unique.

Dex-chan lover
SPOIL!!!
-
This has been beyond slow burning though, we'll reach heat death of the universe before this gets anywhere, and the characters never really showing any signs of feelings for each other doesn't help either.

Honestly, so far all we got are random snippets about them, it was cute for a while but it's kinda boring now since it might never get anywhere, even after the university arc it might still get nowhere unfortunately.

Dex-chan lover
Guys, the university arc 2 is out! You can read it on the author's Weibo.

Link for anyone interested in the raws before the tl is out :win:

while i think ren is a dumbass, i get where she's coming from, she wanted to protect youji in her own way and allow youji to reach her star potential all while letting herself chase after youji's light and meet her at the same level. in some ways, i think this was a dumb move because like her brother said, youji could've been "stolen away" by someone else (which I guess?? kinda?? but not really? idk if ren is just lucky or what bc we didn't find out who the dad really was) but I also kinda think that being together would have been difficult for the both of them. they're both very self centered individuals who want the spotlight and they both travel a lot for their work, so i think there was a reasonable chance that things would've gone south maybe?

but ultimately, this second part does show that it was subtly acknowledged by both parties that they had feelings that went further than just friends, but as of present, it's still not clear what if any their relationship is now.

personally i'm on the fence on how i feel about this chapter... i can't shake the feeling that things were just.... complicated to make things deeper than they really were, but this is a fictional story, so i'll just go along for the ride. if the next 5 chapters are simply SOL advertisements.... i'll feel a bit more sour i suppose haha. but props to the author for making their bag yknow!

so as far as readers know, youji has liked men and women, and ren has only been shown to have liked women so far i think

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread