NEET dakedo Hello Work ni Ittara Isekai ni Tsuretekareta - Vol. 1 Ch. 7

Slavery is not fine.

Ye, everyone knows.
In that Era, it was kind of obvious that there would be slavery.
What ya expect?

Pls don't use your modern common sense on a fantasy fiction story. Sigh.

The perception of slavery as bad is technically not solely a modern era invention. Whether or not slavery is considered bad is purely based on societal and cultural norms. Even in ancient times, there were cultures that did not practice slavery. Also, even today slaves exist in the world, so thinking that slavery being bad is only modern common sense, is being a bit naive.

So please don't use your sheltered modern common sense to justify that an entire Era would consider slavery to be ok.
P.S That might come across a little hostile, but after studying a lot about history and a lot about slavery, I find many people's perceptions of such things are outright wrong or colored by politics.
All these points are rendered moot because, in the end, this is a FANTASY and any association with real-life events and or people are products of the author's IMAGINATION. So in this case slavery being accepted or present is just some fantasy of one Japanese dude.

Dex-chan lover
Whatever the common perception of slavery on Razgard is (which can't be uniformly positive, since whatsisname clearly has doubts about "buying a life" as he puts it), Yadano Makeru I mean Yasaru Masaru whatever MC's name is is a native of modern-day Earth and should be educated enough to explain why slavery is bad, at least in his internal monologue if nothing else. But this is a(nother) wish fullfilment manga, we can't have the protagonist make too many waves or have strong opinions about anything or he won't be relatable to the people who self-insert as him anymore.

Dex-chan lover
She's not really making an effort to hide it and he still hasn't really mentioned noticing it but, that's totally a school uniform from our world right? It's pretty unlikely they just happen to have a magic academy here that dresses like that, considering the way everyone else dresses, yeah? Even if that were the case, he should be commenting on or asking about it if he's not a completely brain dead moron, yes?

Dex-chan lover
I am so late to this discussion.

Western readers need to get used to the fact that, in Japan and other Asian countries, there is no large population of people who have suffered mass slavery at the hands of the majority in their own country. There may be some vague identification with the descendants of slaves in the West from certain minorities in the East (who weren't dragged into the country as slave labor but at least know what it's like to be a second-class citizen) but there is no situation that would make the people of East Asia understand the issues that are bothering readers here about the frequent appearance of slavery in these stories. It just looks like an extension of the historic class system of the East, which leaves it unfortunately fitting with ideas about social hierarchy and karma.

Just give it a tolerant eye when it appears, and when the mangaka does show it in a negative light, be encouraged that some of them get it. Eventually, everyone will.

There's nothing wrong with buying a slaves... freedom. If you marry her whilst she's still a slave, your a pos.

Dex-chan lover
@MyersMan69 I never said you did. But you need to be an American to have the specific cultural sensitivities (and insensitivities) of an American. The same is true of people in Europe, Africa, Asia, wherever. Expecting everyone in other countries to have the same perspective as yourself is misguided.

At any rate, I suspect that practically all Asians understand that slavery is wrong. I doubt you could find many people of any culture on this planet who think that it is okay. Equating what I said to something like that completely misses my point.

Users who are viewing this thread