Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki

Group Leader
I'll be releasing a couple chapters soon. I finally found some time to work on some more chapters. Chapter 81 is a shorty. 82 will be out shortly ( and will be much longer).

Dex-chan lover
I got a question for the more japanese savvy among you. What's the difference between "ayakashi" and "yo(u)kai"? I do understand they refer to more or less the same thing, but I was wondering...

Our mangaka wants to know what kind of person (?) buys his manga. Well, this one (a total fan) is 61 years old, a retired Marine, with a background in science, engineering, classics, and history. I collect books, comic art, mechanical clocks, porcelain, and love tea, cooking, good wine, and great conversation.

@phil777 originally, ayakashi was a term referring to youkai that appeared above bodies of water, e.g. vengeful spirits of the dead haunting above the location of their drowning. Nowadays, it's used interchangeably, but I don't know why this shift occured.

@SnowingSilently & @phil777 The conflation seems to have come from Noh theatre, which called all its ghost and monster characters ayakashi, albeit with a kanji spelling, 怪士; the sea monster connotation was seemingly exclusively hiragana and katakana from what I could find. The different spellings of course results in it carrying a different contextual meaning, Noh's is a catch-all term compared to the traditional use's more specific grouping. Other media followed suit using a catch-all form of the term, but using a different kanji spelling (I've seen it sharing the same root as youkai, 妖, instead of Noh's use, 怪) or retaining the typical hiragana spelling- but this conflation seems to be a comparatively modern event relative to when Noh theatre first started this usage.

For example, the relatively famous Toei animated horror series, Ayakashi: Samurai Ghost Tales, uses the term in the same way Noh theatre does, with the same kanji and the same context. As an aside, the show had no ghosts that met the traditional definition of an ayakashi in it. Furthermore, despite the series using the term in the same way Noh does, none of the stories in the show were from Noh, they are all tales from Kabuki theatre.

Fed-Kun's army
Apparently Comic Ryu [where Neko Musume runs] is switching over from physical publication to digital from July 20 - fortunatly this shouldnt effect the physical releases of the Tankobons though.

https://twitter.com/ikenokappa/status/1020557826681331712

Dex-chan lover
@TheGTF Hey, thanks a lot. ^^ This explains quite a bit more. :) See, I'm an anthropology graduate, so I'm always trying to understand cultural stuff like this when I pick it up. ^^' (I also happen to have an interest in Japanese culture in particular, but anywhere is fine).

I love how this manga portrays yokai adapting to the modern world and their interactions with humans and vice-versa. The ecchi feels downright unnecessary considering the age of the main cast, but if you can get past that, it is a wonderful slice-of-life.

Group Leader
Update: Expect the next chapter to be released either today or tomorrow. I'll try doing an even better job with the proofing/wording to match the tone. Done!! Gonna try working on the last chapter in this volume tonight. Hope you enjoy this one!

Contributor
Wrote a review on this, here it is:
https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/neko-musume-michikusa-nikki/

Good series, could be better. To summarize: this manga has a bunch of elements that ought to make it superb. It's cute, it's fantasy mixed with modern day, it's episodic, and it's comedy-focused. BUT, something about it feels... off, frequently. Not only is there fanservice that feels out of place (and believe me, I am REALLY not the kind of person to mind fanservice), but some aspects feel like they just aren't coming together quite right, plus there's some romantic elements that feel completely unwarranted. All in all, though, I do like this series and think it's worth reading, but wish it was amazing rather than just good. That said, this one character, Koma, she's amazing. Whenever Koma is around this manga becomes S-ranked. She's this cute, badass, rambunctious, loyal, lion-dog guardian girl who actually has serious moments and themes attached to her. More stuff like Koma would make this manga incredible.

At any rate it's lovely it keeps being translated and it's still ongoing, regardless of my gripes with it. Serious thanks to the author and the scanlators.

Group Leader
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy with IRL stuff. But, I have been translating. So far, up to chapter 90. Two more chapters until I finish the next volume. Once that's done, I'll go back, clean the text, and get some proofing done. Thanks for being patient. In the mean time...more waiting. If another group wants to release there stuff, feel free too. I'll still release my own chapters too ^^'

I have to say that I totally love this manga. Kurona is totally adorable, and her friends are a lot of fun. The lessons (anti-littering campaign, tolerance between species/races) are toned down (not preachy) and very well done. The humour definitely hits my funny bone (probably a main reason I like the manga). That said, the mangaka can throw in pathos (the doll story arc) that can jerk tears like the death of Baldur (Baldr) from Norse mythology. It's entertaining and fun, and I always enjoy it, but Ike pulls the rug out from under me occasionally with something right out of classical literature (either European or Japanese, doesn't really matter which). A real favorite I will continue to follow.

Dex-chan lover
This manga's covers could make some great desktop wallpapers

Group Leader
@Thiron Maybe you know already, but on the artist's Pixiv, he's got the wallpaper version of the covers.

Double-page supporter
I too am sad without fluff.

Fluff for the Fluff God!

Users who are viewing this thread