NEW GAME! - Vol. 9 Ch. 101

Staff
Admin
Some comments from TL. Feel free to @mogu to debate them. Not me.

Page 1, panel 4, bubble 1

You know, the entire reason they wanted Aoba to help out. So she could do all that.

Page 10, panel 8, bubble 1

Watch how quickly she breaks this assertion.

Page 13, panel 8

This is where things really go off the rails. I get what the author was going for with the jumping back and forth between two completely unrelated plots, but combine that with time jumping forward every time and a bunch of stuff happening off-screen (like, what happened when Yun and Rin went to visit the other company directly? That's summed up in a single line and no mention is ever made of how that turned out. Or how it's implied off-hand that there's a bunch of models turned in like that, but only one is ever shown. The fact that there are also normal models with no problems still being turned in alongside the shitty ones is never outright mentioned. The entire arrangement with the other company in general is vague and took me several readings (and also knowing what happens in the next chapter) to figure out what exactly is happening with it.) Anyway, with the jumping between plot-lines and the time skips and the things left unstated, now there's also a bunch of events being shown out of order to make things even more confusing. Not to mention one of the most important events in the chapter happens off-screen and is only shown in passing mention. I guarantee a lot of people will be confused with a lot of the details of this chapter.

Page 15, panel 1, bubble 2

Here's another thing that makes this chapter go off the rails; kou says she can't finish king's hand, Catherine says Hotaru can finish it, one day later they suddenly mention that Hotaru has lost the contest and Kou has finished it. Then in the next chapter Kou says she's still got to finish her Blue Rose work so she doesn't have time to directly help with the game. This is one point that I still honestly have no clue about. For several aspects of. Like, she leaves it right in the room she was staying in. Apparently after packing with Hotaru. So she did it in front of Hotaru. And Hotaru just watched and gave up on her own design.

Panel 4, bubble 2

I get what she's trying to say here, but she has to say it in the most vague and roundabout way possible. Just say "you bring out the best in everyone you work with" or something. Also, being loved by everyone is not something that someone can be born with. (And she clearly wasn't born with it, nor was she born with her ability to lead others, given her abject failure to lead the team in the past.)

Page 16, panel 1, bubble 1

It just skips from Kou looking depressed to Kou leaving like this, so the conversation turning to Hotaru's failure comes out of nowhere and makes no sense, since a single page earlier they were talking about how Hotaru would be good enough to finish it, and the reveal that Kou finished it doesn't come until the final panel, and even then it's not outright stated. I imagine it's meant to be a surprise reveal, but doing it this way just makes it seem completely random. And it's not a surprise, since they're talking for two whole pages about Hotaru losing to Kou. Everything about these pages comes out of nowhere and is a completely nonsensical way to structure the plot. All it does is make people confused, make them have no idea what even happened. Did Kou just happen to bring her unfinished illustration home that note, instead of leaving it at work? Despite the fact that she was leaving forever the very next day and didn't plan on finishing it to begin with? How far along was it? If she was close enough that she could finish it in a single night, why didn't she just wait one more day and finish it before talking to Catherine? Why talk to Catherine at the timing she did? I get that she didn't know she was going to be immediately sent back to Japan, but she also clearly had plenty of time left before she needed to give her answer, so why do so one day before finishing her work? Why did Catherine just happen to have a ticket ready? She wasn't going to tell Kou about the Eagle Jump problems until Kou declined her offer, and she didn't seem to be expecting an answer so early. So why have plane ticket for the next day just sitting around like that? No actual information is given. Just an after the fact "oh, by the way, she finished it after talking to Hotaru. And Hotaru immediately lost when she did." There's no substance, just plot magic to make Kou seem SO AMAZING.

Panel 8, bubble 1

I've also just noticed she's wearing the same outfit here as when she shows up at Eagle Jump. Did she hop off a 12-hour flight and then head directly to the company? Didn't even stop to shower and change?

Page 18, panel 1, bubble 2

What the hell is she even saying? She's only going back to Japan because of the problems at Eagle Jump. She decided not to leave to join Blue Rose, but she never said anything about immediately going home. That was forced on her by Catherine, specifically because of all the problems.

Dex-chan lover
Why it feel like a deus ex machina ? That should have been the first game without Kou and the proof that the company and the team can work without Kou here but no, in the end they still need her because there is no one to bring the team together. No one has the charisma of Kou and that's a huge boon. Hifumi is still her usual self and that start to be a bit heavy for the team because she suposs to be the Senpai but does nothing to prove it and watch the team collapse. Hajime has been thrown in a position she had clearly no experience in. Honestly I hope Aoba step up really hard and can at least replace Kou as the one bringing the team together because remember that this game was suposs to be a side project, not a main project and they still need to bring Kou in the end. As for the Blue Rose/King's Hand, I couldn't care less. At this point Hotaru can probably force her way throught.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, fuck that company they outsourced the models to.
Still, it felt forced as fuck. There surely had to be a better way to bring Kou back.

man....dont scare me like that with a offer for Kou to be a full time employee in france...but im glad she is back to where she belongs....and I hope they will never outsource to that company again even they complained and nothing was done to fix it

Dex-chan lover
As for the models: they probably got a whiff that the game was a "low-priority first-project-from-not-a-celeb employee" project and sic'd the interns on it.

You'd think companies wouldn't be jerks like that.

You'd be wrong.

I wonder when we'll get the guilt trip of pretty much all of them for not being able to do it without Kou.

Tho tbf this wasnt really on them, then again they could have found other fixes (these are just NPC models that from what i understand just need to be in the crowd. Pokemon SWSH kinda made me respect the effort goes into that tho).

But at the end of the day Kou is back, I can have more gay moments with Rin finally, and things should get less chaotic. Cuz ngl seeing the others struggle like this is depressing

Dex-chan lover
I can't help but blame Hajime for this one "sorry... it should've been my job, but let's keep going! we'll do it!" [2 pages of Kou later] EEEEEEEHHH??? another bad model?! lo/ fuck that company and please, never let Hajime be in chargue of A WHOLE PROJECT again.

Kou is back... everything will be daijoubu now

To everyone complaining that it feels like a total cockblock to have Kou come back and save them:

Next chapter it turns out to be a reverse double cockblock, since all Kou actually does to help is to convince Christina to extend the deadline, then fix the problem with the company they're outsourcing to.

Which means that the real problem was, once again, Christina.

And also that in addition to Kou's return being a big signal that the team was unable to complete a project without her help, Kou's giving up everything in France and rushing back to Eagle Jump over the course of a single day was, ultimately, fairly meaningless.

I should be celebrating that Kou came back, but the way it's gone about is so terrible that I really can't.

Dex-chan lover
Why are so many people so mad at everyone that's not Aoba in this? Like you guys are acting like everyone should've finished this game off perfectly...everyone was working in a job that was new to them. If it went perfect we'd be shouting everyone was a mary sue. The only person who messed up really was Christina and...what is the gray hair'd lady's name again...Hazuki was it? They didn't give any help or guidance to minimize failure, because there was absolutely no chance this team wasn't going to spiral out of control. They didn't have their glue (Kou), and Rin was also pulled away from them, and people with no experience were put in charge. Yes it's the only way for them to learn is to experience it, but there's a difference between holding a baby's hand when they first start walking, and pushing eagle chicks off a cliff and hoping they fly. Thing's would've been a lot worse too if Aoba didn't start developing as a leader during all this as well. But yeah none of this is Hajime's or anyone else on the team's fault. It's Christina and Hazuki's fault for just throwing them all into deep end of the pool and not even having a lifeguard there.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad Kou is back with the main cast, even though it all feels kinda rushed and weird. I'm looking forward to more Kou x Rin moments , it's one of the main things keeping me on board at this point.

Supporter
This outsourced company was introduced back in chapter 88, I think? Back then, the issue that the game character designs created by them might not mesh with what Hajime's team is coming up with themselves, was foreshadowed. I'm surprised though that said company wouldn't give the team some examples of their work for Eagle Jump's approval early on; so this last minute reveal of their crappy designs and the lack of time for improvement seems rather (in)convenient.

I'm kinda wondering what Hifumi and Hajime are even doing; every page just seems to show them reacting to shit, lol. What is the programming team up to lately? It feels like it's been awhile since they were involved.

@Lilliwyt: You bring up some excellent points. The way I feel now is that this whole latest game project was a story arc to make Kou realize that her place is with Eagle Jump. I think it could have been handled much better, as the random tension builders introduced were unnecessary in the end. As far as character development goes with this, the only real evolution I see is Kou, Aoba, and to a lesser degree, Momo; even with them, it feels a bit forced.

@WillLi: I haven't checked much in previous chapters' comments, but I do agree that there's some hate thrown towards some characters who don't deserve it, lol. It's quite possible that Hazuki in particular was treating this as an experiment, to gauge this team's abilities under duress, and without 'Kou the glue' as an anchor; maybe Hazuki thinks Kou is destined for greater things than her current position in Eagle Jump?

Dex-chan lover
@DevLogger oh I know it's an experiment, in a previous chapter's comments I said that. I'm not trying to paint Christina and Hazuki as 'evil' or 'bad' for this. (Though I can see how it can come off as that I worded my comments poorly) I'm just saying they're the only ones that did something 'wrong'. Like in the end they put them in a situation they had less than 10% chance of succeeding, and didn't actually help , despite knowing it was going to be hectic -and- monitoring them. The proper way to train the staff would be with only 1 or two people trying out new positions, while someone is there who knows how said position works can help them. That is what Rin -should've- been doing but they took her away from the team and gave her separate duties that kept her away.

Users who are viewing this thread