Nigoru Hitomi de Nani wo Negau - Highserk Senki - Vol. 2 Ch. 5 - The Reward is Crimson

Dex-chan lover
now that i have carefully read the manga instead of admiring the art and reading a little bit,
this scene now makes sense to me

Fed-Kun's army
communist? lmao he's literally an aristocrat

unless they were making a reference to the ussr's use of scorched earth in ww2, but how do the isekai peasants know (lmao)?
I understand you made this comment months ago, but I feel the need to add something anyways. Hopefully to help others new to the manga and comments section too.

I read the WN so I have a bit of context for the manga. I'll only cover what the manga missed so far, so no spoilers for future chapters.

Chapter 1 page 19 and page 30-32. Additional context is Highserk recruited Sarria soldiers into their ranks as their own, hence the reason why they are mad when they finally caught up to the preivously Duke of Kanoa, now the

Context from chapter 1 and some of the Web Novel. Kanoa Kingdom was a territory conquered and incorporated into Highserk before this current war with Myard. Sarria City was the last city of Kanoa to fall. Kanoa's Nobles had defected north and joined the Principality of Myard while cozy'ing up with Ferrius (kingdom north of Myard). During the defection, whatever he harvested and salvaged from the scorched earth tactics was also brought to Myard. This left the city in poverty, which you can see illustrated by all the beggers and prostitutes in the streets in Chapter 1 of the manga. This gave the previously citizen's of Kanoa/Sarria incentive to join Highserk and join the war with Myard.

Context for the war with Myard. Ferrius and Myard created an alliance to stop Highserk's very quick and aggressive warmongering. This is why the combined Ferrius and Myard army was larger than Highserk's. Not to mention the guerilla tactics from Myard to whittle Highserk's numbers before the battle.

Despite each manga chapter being 20+ long pages, they're still skipping a lot of context. A lot of battle formation text, POV's from both army commanders, how Walm ended up awakening blue fire, the extended significance of the blue fire.

Here's some trivia.

The Current (now deceased) King of Myard is Euth Myard, he was previously Grand Duke of Kanoa.

Walm's blue fire attack - It's combination of Fire and Wind. Yes MC has affinity for wind magic; they tested all 4 elements (earth, water, wind, fire) during the magic testing section, but the wind and earth testing was glossed over in the manga. The big powerup is that he managed to use 2 elements at once which combined into Blue Fire.

Walm's Magic affinities - Fire (High) - Wind (High) - Water (Low)

Earth magic is also highly valuable in war and battle:
  • Trench diggers for defense
  • Moat Diggers for defense
  • Moat Fillers for offense against forts and castles
  • Hill Makers for creating slopes to scale fort walls (you see this in the manga battle against the fort)
Anyone who can use magic or skills passively coats themselves with a magic barrier. This is the magic users defense against other magics. The Knight during the border fort battle notes Walm having a barrier, right before Walm uses his <<Strike>> against the Knight.

While most of the Highserk soldiers are given standard equipment, the soldiers who survive will scavenge equipment from the fallen they defeat. Walm has taken the Polearm from the Knight at the Border Fort. His Longsword was also scavenged from his first battle back in Liberitoa (chapter 1 of the manga).

The Highserk army organization - Battalion -> Company -> Platoon -> Squad

(Some of the) Highserk battalions -
  1. Liguria Battalion: MC Walm's battalion
  2. Sarria Battalion: composed entirely of Sarria citizens, light infantry
  3. Jeff Cavalry Battalion: Highserk's Pride, Pillar, and strongest battalion. Composed of cavalry. Led by Jeff. Typically works with other light infantry battalions who distract/hold down enemy troops in order for the Cavalry to reposition and charge)
Why was Liguria battalion (with no experience with coordinating with cavalry before) selected to charge with the Jaff Cavalry Battalion? - The other light infantry battalions were too exhausted to keep with for the charge that was planned, and Liguria battalion was selected due to MC (Strike Skill user), Squad Leader Duwei (Strike Skill user), and Willart (Mage) standing out during the Border Fort battle.

Walm's Squad members
  1. Jose - son of a merchant, lets him be a better conversationalist with Walm.
  2. Willart - Mage, high Fire and high water affinities. Conjured Magic water is potable, thus both Wilart and Walm are used as fresh water dispensers during marches/travel.
  3. (WN Only so far) The Three Idiots (Reinus, Tibird, Danfan) - Background characters known for goofing, being unruly, generally un-educated. The "average" soldier who drinks, has sex, and pillages.
  4. Barito - Rookie addition to the squad, first battle was the taking of the Myard Border Fort. Since most rookies die in their first battle, Jose was in charge of Barito.
  5. Noor - Rookie addition to the squad, first battle was the taking of the Myard Border Fort. Walm was in charge of getting Noor through their first battle.
Notable moments of the Border Fort Battle
  • Noor dropped her shield when it was hit by the water ball. Walm advised her "Don't drop the shield! Even if your arm is torn! It's better than dying."
  • Walm joked about the water ball as "playing with water". The joke was well received by his squad members. Gives us a good indication that he's a morale booster for his squad.
  • When Walm was still advancing on the wall with their shield, he noticed Willart's fireball landing a good hit on the soldiers on the wall. Walm then yelled and praised Willart "Good! Willart, Good!". Willart responded with a smile. (This likely led to Willart deciding to teach Walm magic later after hearing about Walm's interest in it). Willart later saved Walm again on the ladder; this was depicted in the manga.
  • Once the squad got to wall, and they needed to fill the moat. During this time, the enemy landed a good fireball hit and exposed their shields a bit. Noor was busy filling the moat with her hands and head down and didn't notice an incoming rock thrown from the wall. Walm noticed and saved her before giving some advice. "Don't worry. more than that, Don't focus only there. Remember, the enemy is on top." The moat took 2 hours to fill.
  • Walm's resolve to fight the Knight on the ramparts was mostly because he could not live with himself if he retreated and let his protégé Noor die. This is where he notes that it's supposed to be Squad Commander Duwei's job (the <<Strike>> user) to challenge the enemy leader.

Also months too late but thanks for this, might read the WN now coz of ur comment

Dex-chan lover
I understand you made this comment months ago, but I feel the need to add something anyways. Hopefully to help others new to the manga and comments section too.

I read the WN so I have a bit of context for the manga. I'll only cover what the manga missed so far, so no spoilers for future chapters.
thank you for your detailed explanation.

i was a bit confused when reading the scene about water ball & walm in the ladder. turn out there is some scene not getting into panel.

Dex-chan lover

Chapter 1 page 19 and page 30-32. Additional context is Highserk recruited Sarria soldiers into their ranks as their own, hence the reason why they are mad when they finally caught up to the preivously Duke of Kanoa, now the

Context from chapter 1 and some of the Web Novel. Kanoa Kingdom was a territory conquered and incorporated into Highserk before this current war with Myard. Sarria City was the last city of Kanoa to fall. Kanoa's Nobles had defected north and joined the Principality of Myard while cozy'ing up with Ferrius (kingdom north of Myard). During the defection, whatever he harvested and salvaged from the scorched earth tactics was also brought to Myard. This left the city in poverty, which you can see illustrated by all the beggers and prostitutes in the streets in Chapter 1 of the manga. This gave the previously citizen's of Kanoa/Sarria incentive to join Highserk and join the war with Myard.

Context for the war with Myard. Ferrius and Myard created an alliance to stop Highserk's very quick and aggressive warmongering. This is why the combined Ferrius and Myard army was larger than Highserk's. Not to mention the guerilla tactics from Myard to whittle Highserk's numbers before the battle.

Despite each manga chapter being 20+ long pages, they're still skipping a lot of context. A lot of battle formation text, POV's from both army commanders, how Walm ended up awakening blue fire, the extended significance of the blue fire.

Here's some trivia.

The Current (now deceased) King of Myard is Euth Myard, he was previously Grand Duke of Kanoa.

Walm's blue fire attack - It's combination of Fire and Wind. Yes MC has affinity for wind magic; they tested all 4 elements (earth, water, wind, fire) during the magic testing section, but the wind and earth testing was glossed over in the manga. The big powerup is that he managed to use 2 elements at once which combined into Blue Fire.

Walm's Magic affinities - Fire (High) - Wind (High) - Water (Low)

Earth magic is also highly valuable in war and battle:
  • Trench diggers for defense
  • Moat Diggers for defense
  • Moat Fillers for offense against forts and castles
  • Hill Makers for creating slopes to scale fort walls (you see this in the manga battle against the fort)
Anyone who can use magic or skills passively coats themselves with a magic barrier. This is the magic users defense against other magics. The Knight during the border fort battle notes Walm having a barrier, right before Walm uses his <<Strike>> against the Knight.

While most of the Highserk soldiers are given standard equipment, the soldiers who survive will scavenge equipment from the fallen they defeat. Walm has taken the Polearm from the Knight at the Border Fort. His Longsword was also scavenged from his first battle back in Liberitoa (chapter 1 of the manga).

The Highserk army organization - Battalion -> Company -> Platoon -> Squad

(Some of the) Highserk battalions -
  1. Liguria Battalion: MC Walm's battalion
  2. Sarria Battalion: composed entirely of Sarria citizens, light infantry
  3. Jeff Cavalry Battalion: Highserk's Pride, Pillar, and strongest battalion. Composed of cavalry. Led by Jeff. Typically works with other light infantry battalions who distract/hold down enemy troops in order for the Cavalry to reposition and charge)
Why was Liguria battalion (with no experience with coordinating with cavalry before) selected to charge with the Jaff Cavalry Battalion? - The other light infantry battalions were too exhausted to keep with for the charge that was planned, and Liguria battalion was selected due to MC (Strike Skill user), Squad Leader Duwei (Strike Skill user), and Willart (Mage) standing out during the Border Fort battle.

Walm's Squad members
  1. Jose - son of a merchant, lets him be a better conversationalist with Walm.
  2. Willart - Mage, high Fire and high water affinities. Conjured Magic water is potable, thus both Wilart and Walm are used as fresh water dispensers during marches/travel.
  3. (WN Only so far) The Three Idiots (Reinus, Tibird, Danfan) - Background characters known for goofing, being unruly, generally un-educated. The "average" soldier who drinks, has sex, and pillages.
  4. Barito - Rookie addition to the squad, first battle was the taking of the Myard Border Fort. Since most rookies die in their first battle, Jose was in charge of Barito.
  5. Noor - Rookie addition to the squad, first battle was the taking of the Myard Border Fort. Walm was in charge of getting Noor through their first battle.
Notable moments of the Border Fort Battle
  • Noor dropped her shield when it was hit by the water ball. Walm advised her "Don't drop the shield! Even if your arm is torn! It's better than dying."
  • Walm joked about the water ball as "playing with water". The joke was well received by his squad members. Gives us a good indication that he's a morale booster for his squad.
  • When Walm was still advancing on the wall with their shield, he noticed Willart's fireball landing a good hit on the soldiers on the wall. Walm then yelled and praised Willart "Good! Willart, Good!". Willart responded with a smile. (This likely led to Willart deciding to teach Walm magic later after hearing about Walm's interest in it). Willart later saved Walm again on the ladder; this was depicted in the manga.
  • Once the squad got to wall, and they needed to fill the moat. During this time, the enemy landed a good fireball hit and exposed their shields a bit. Noor was busy filling the moat with her hands and head down and didn't notice an incoming rock thrown from the wall. Walm noticed and saved her before giving some advice. "Don't worry. more than that, Don't focus only there. Remember, the enemy is on top." The moat took 2 hours to fill.
  • Walm's resolve to fight the Knight on the ramparts was mostly because he could not live with himself if he retreated and let his protégé Noor die. This is where he notes that it's supposed to be Squad Commander Duwei's job (the <<Strike>> user) to challenge the enemy leader.
Damn, that is so helpful. Thank you for the explanation!

communist? lmao he's literally an aristocrat

unless they were making a reference to the ussr's use of scorched earth in ww2, but how do the isekai peasants know (lmao)?
It has been a year and a half, but I should answer where the others haven't. The russian translation of the same speech bubble also hosted here on mangadex just uses "die, traitor" but in russian. See the entry for предатель on wiktionary. The indonesian translation also uses communist (komunisitu) but because of the exact same use of punctuation all throughout the chapter I believe it was translated from english with no consideration for the original japanese. The portuguese also use communist (comunista) but not the exact-same punctuation. What they do use is the pages from the english release, where necessary thitherthence redrawn or undrawn. It is not far-out that their laziness would extend to the translation and the made-up communist adopted from the english. Unfortunately I have no idea how to treat the arabic release right.

The primary sources as to what the original japanese text said can only be the english and the russian release. The others are secondary sources (or hearsay) derived from the english release and so cannot be considered. The english and russian translations are opposed, each prefering their own terms. Which one is correct? There are two points of evidence against the english release. First, it makes no sense for the term communist to be used. As was pointed out, the character is an aristocrat. Secondly, there was serial reaction note-spamming (PR/N, iirc) in prior chapters, indicating that the proof-reader has beside the intention of their given title the attention-whoring trait of an annoying child. Do children not also often rub political fandom in others' faces? What of the russian translators? They don't even list their individual names at the beginning or end of each chapter. Instead of being one to beg for interaction their intentions are only to the release, as proven by its superiour quality. Compare in page 18/19 of this chapter the sideways ORAA versus the the vertical, staggered YRAA; in the center of the same page, the script "pant" versus the sound effect "haah"; in the bottom left, the horizontally-compressed exasperation compared to the vertical. The russian release should sooner be trusted than the english which contradicts it, and its translation should be deferred to in this case.

It is clear that the english translation is ill-intended or mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread