Ningen Fushin no Boukenshatachi ga Sekai o Sukuu Youdesu - Vol. 2 Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
@Lifanfan
There is no fixed definition of how long a blade has to be to stop being a knife and start being a short sword.
Also, due to its construction, I'd say it is a short sword, as it has a guard and a pommel, features which are usually not present on knives, and it has a single-edge blade, which means it's not a (typical) dagger either.

What bothers me far more is that he switches from a proper way of holding it to the stupid way of holding it, that is completely useless in 99% of combat situations, namely in the ice pick grip.

Dex-chan lover
Nice to see that the mc was more than just a glorified accountant in his last team

Dex-chan lover
@Askorti
generally the blade has to be more than 16 inches to be considered a short sword. you're right about the rest of the construction tho. Typically knives or daggers aren't given a hilt guard. there are plenty of knives/daggers that are single bladed, though.

the reason he changes to reverse/'pick' grip is because with a shorter blade it's really the only way to do damage. It's an issue of torque. Longer blades have much greater force from a swing than a shorter blade. With a reverse grip, you're able to use the real star point of a short blade or dagger, namely, the tip. normal muscular development results in significantly stronger pulling ability than pushing (simplified for lolmangacomments). with these conditions, using a blade as a 'pick' is vastly more effective than trying to brute force a shorter lever into equal power.

also, most western blade handling form has the hands lower (since they're generally longer). With a short blade, that creates that much more distance/time required to get the pointy bit into the squishy bits. reverse grip gives a more guarded stance that keeps the blade closer to the target.

Woah, I was expecting a folly type rage mode but for him to be good as a trained default is also refreshing.

Contributor
Karan will believe a lot in him after he was taking her dangerous role, alone.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, our boi Nick didn't slack off on his training despite having had an OP teammates and was just regarded as a scout and a butcher for sidelines eh

Also to differentiate knife and short sword/blade is to look at the hilt/handle, it's a short sword if the hilt is for sword's and the blade is short lmao easy, right?

Dex-chan lover
I'm digging the art style. Especially the way the artist does faces, the expressions are kind of cartoony, but you can tell there's a lot of effort put into the details. The amount of detail put into the ogre, even though he's just a mob is telling. And Karan's worried expression at the top of page 11 was noteworthy.

ivv

Dex-chan lover
Did somebody say C Q C ?
images

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka
The reason he changes to reverse/'pick' grip is because with a shorter blade it's really the only way to do damage. It's an issue of torque. Longer blades have much greater force from a swing than a shorter blade. With a reverse grip, you're able to use the real star point of a short blade or dagger, namely, the tip. normal muscular development results in significantly stronger pulling ability than pushing (simplified for lolmangacomments). with these conditions, using a blade as a 'pick' is vastly more effective than trying to brute force a shorter lever into equal power.

I'm sorry my friend, but I'm afraid you simplified your message to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore.
It makes no logical sense to compound the biggest drawback of a short blade by gripping it in a way that reduces your range to essentially zero. And with a sharp blade on uncovered skin you do not need much force in a slash at all, unless the ogre/oni has super thick skin or something else cliched along those lines. Also, a slash in an ice pick grip has absolutely no power in it at all due to your wrist motion range working against you, so all you can do like this is stab. That's your only option, unless you're slashing someone's throat, which is not the case here.

Dex-chan lover
@Askorti
you're missing the point. if you're using a short blade, your range is already restricted. that's a choice made in advance. reducing range further to dramatically increase power. despite all the things manga tells you, range =/= victory. otherwise there'd be no weapons besides spears.
re: force
hate to tell you this, but unless your blade is INCREDIBLY fucking sharp and is going to slice through tough muscle with ease, slashing generally just causes flesh wounds. larger western style swords slash, but it's really bludgeoning with an edge. slashing is anime. stabbing is physics. that's where all the 1000xfolded superior japanese steel memes come from. even for longer swords, trying to slash through flesh (or harder) can fuck up a blade something fierce. The metal folding technique used in forging katanas did, in fact, create a superior slashing blade.

if you're going to complain about the physics, pay attention to the physics. if you're going to complain about looking cool/dumb, this is the right place.

as a bonus: there's a reason that there's also a lot of pugilistic weapons, even though they have no range.

Dex-chan lover
What are you expecting to beat with that small knife?
The whole thief archetype is flawed to the core geez. If you have this super fit body to do these acrobatics at least bring a decent weapon will you?
If you fight beasts or bigger opponents bring a spear like hunters did. A knife is for self defence and a sword is for duel, these are weapons made to fight HUMANS, not monsters.
Well this critique isn't tied to this manga but these words had to come out somehow.

Dex-chan lover
I like the plot and the art in general of this manga but mangaka really should work on some anatomy basics.

This is the second time when Kieran switch to being a monstrosity. Just look at her when she turns the head. The neck is crazy long and going on an impossible angle.

Okay so said that the MC can't fight? xD

He is the assassin/scout of the team! Loved this chapter.

Dex-chan lover
i dont really remember hai to gensou no grimgar's fights in the anime but this is reminding me of it... forgot that i wanted to read the ln

actually it was danmachi that it was reminding me off...

Fed-Kun's army
@LordTartarus well they are ready for armored targets, I suppose. Nothing slays them better than a dagger. But yeah, there's literally no excuse for MC to not use at least an arming sword. Aside from War Swords or Two-handed swords, longswords are light enough that a child can use, nimble enough that you can use it with finesse, and long enough that you won't be disadvantaged on any situation. Why use short sword as a main weapon?

Dex-chan lover
@BloodySorcerer short sword used for a great maneuverability. But it still shitty for enemy that has durable body. Long sword cannot be used by a child. Ever hold a broom with the heavy side pointing out? Its still need practice. For a newbie usually wooden sword or long stick to use in combat

Users who are viewing this thread