Ningen Fushin no Boukenshatachi ga Sekai o Sukuu Youdesu - Vol. 2 Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka reminded me of the scene in "infection" manga. Lol there is a person who does clean cut on the flesh barehanded. That was the worst terrible action scene that i ever saw

Dex-chan lover
@LordTartaros i agree with the use of knife in combat is improper. Whether that monster is too weak for an ogre/hobgoblin or this is just for a bit immobilizing, or annoy the enemy

Fed-Kun's army
@AAA1 Yes I have held a broom with the heavy side upwards, as a child I played with a it it was a spear, of course in the garden, I wasn't one of those kid who didn't pay attention to their surroundings when playing, I owe that to my older brother who commited all the mistakes and got himself hurt, so I would avoid them.

But that's a bad example a long sword is neither that long nor is it unbalanced like that. Longswords are surprisingly light, about 1.5kg usually, with some heavier variants reaching about 4kg, and War Swords(an even heavier and longer variant of the longsword, usually known in RPGs as a Greatsword) reaching up to 7kg at heaviest(THis is not their usual weight, it's just the heaviest they can get).

Also the heavy part is not the blade is the pommel, which makes it even easier to hold. If you think that a sword needs that much training to only hold, then you probably had the misfortune of meeting the fake sword.
A sword made by an amateur who didn't know that normal swords get slimmer the closer it gets to it's tip. They are made that way so that the pommel that is much closer to your hand, feels heavier which will then make you feel like the weight on the blade is irrelevant. allowing you to control the blade way more easily and tiring you much less than you would feel using an axe. Which has the same weight, but all it's weight is located on the blade.
A sword It's like holding a 1,5 kg, dumbbell it can tire a child faster than an adult, but children can easily hold that amount of weight as well.
Extra:
As for the fake Sword, I recommend you watch this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqcjYgYDX4

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka
And guess what, spears and polearms WERE the kings of the battlefield exactly for that reason, because reach is indeed the most important. And I don't take that from manga, but from history, I don't know where you even got that from. Swords were in the vast majority of cases merely sidearms, meant for personal protection when shit hit the fan. Basically your pistol compared to your rifle. Even katanas were just a backup weapon in most cases. (There are, obviously, exceptions to this, as always, but the predominant rule is that ranged weapons and polearms are the main weapon in the vast majority of cases)
And I'm not talking about the difference between slashing and stabbing, that much is obvious. Puncture wounds are obviously more lethal. I'm talking about slashing from the two kinds of grips, because the character is not stabbing, he's slashing with his weapon. And the ice pick grip absolutely sucks for slashing, which is why I pointed out that he's using "the wrong grip", because of the way he's using the weapon.

And as a side note, the folding technique didn't create a superior slashing weapon, it just created a weapon that wasn't garbage. The folding was to spread out the impurities in the material(because Japan didn't have access to high quality iron ore for a very long time) more evenly so that the blade doesn't break under stress. It had absolutely nothing to do with sharpness or actual effectiveness of the weapon.

Pugilistic weapons are only used in personal protection, civilian setting. Basically, so that you can hide it. They're not weapons of preference in any way, they're weapons of convenience. If you can't have something bigger and more conspicuous, then you pick that because it's better than nothing. There's also the fact that context of their use is very important. If you fight in a crowded space, like a narrow street, on in an ambush/mugging then a long weapon is not something desirable.

Dex-chan lover
@LordTartaros it's so they can get all that agi and dex bonus from all those knife passive skill, duh
spear gives incompatible weapon type penalty if equipped by a thief, and they normally got negative agi and dex bonus anyway

gamified world sucks, huh

Dex-chan lover
@BloodySorcerer oh well, its true i don't have a chance to hold real sword. I guess sword that had bad balanced weight is just bad designed. Thank you for explaining that

The best thing about talking monster is that you get to talk shit while beating them

Dex-chan lover
@Askorti
i mean, yeah, but you're talking about a different situation. it's a rectangle square issue, imo. all warfare is combat, not all combat is warfare. spears were always the front line of a military force because range, yeah. but once they're inside that range, especially in a clusterfuck like group combat, they weren't effective. you're missing my point. The point is that each type of weapon is *generally* suited for one type of combat. also i'm getting sick of discussing this, mostly because a lot of what you're saying is right and i'm tired of specifying

also metal folding created a superior slashing weapon because you could use it multiple times without destroying it. it didn't turn katanas into some magical monomolecular blade.

also the 'swords as primary weapons' was for enemies who had heavy armor and shields. unless you were on horseback (and using a lance, or some other reinforced polearm), getting past decent armor or a strong shield with a spear was generally a no go. you needed more brute force behind it, hence the heavier swords/maces.

why do maces get no love in manga outside of like, goblin slayer? is it because you can't iai with them

Hmmm. I tried looking it up and apparently there's no real length definition between a short sword and a long dagger and seems to come down to the user.

Besides that I think it's cool that he showed he can hold his own. At least for a little while. I'm assuming there's a reason he's not on the front lines besides he's too smart.

Aggregator gang
Well this is a surprise, seems like leadership isn't the only skill he has.

Thanks for the translations~

That's surprinsingly simply yet badass

EDIT: Gotta love how this comment section is CQC memes, people arguing on the correct use of Nick's weapon, and more CQC memes

Not gonna lie it's pretty far a really nice isekai who is much better than a lot of other isekai

Fed-Kun's army
@Aksorti no it's not because reach is king, there are many techniques to deal with weapons that have reach, moreover in a situation with same number of troops, sword users will have an advantage over spear/polearm users if they flank them, for the simple reason that this will make that extra range work against itself and force polearm users to take much caution in not hitting his allies. Range is not king, the reason why polearms and spears are popular is because they are such simple weapons that require minimal training to be effective, range only makes that possible. While using a sword requires a lot of training to be good, on a situation with merely trained swordsmen against merely trained spearmen, the spearmen wins, sure. But when both are Skilled fighters spears don't hold that much advantage, polearms are very weak against rushing. If the swordman parry the first blow while immediately rushing, the spearmen will have to run away or drop the weapon and grab his own sword, and there's also the fact that if he does so it'll break the formation if more then one does this, to fix this he'd have to shorten his own range and hold his spear in the middle before the swordsmen reaches him, but them he'll lose his range advantage completely, it'll be a fight of skill against skill. Range is not absolute.

Users who are viewing this thread