No Filter x No Confidence - Ch. 2 - Horny Girl x Nervous Guy

Group Leader
turns out it's a collection like flag capture in the first move instead of a oneshot

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Where did the "lewd handholding" thing came up? I've been aware that handholding is a sinful act that only incites carnal desires, but i want to know the origin.

Group Leader
I searched the raw because I'm sure the TL overdid it with "Horny", thinking it should have been "excited" or something tamer. Turns out it's worse.... Title should have been, "Girl who can't hide their lust and man who can't take the hint (refuse to be conceited)".

@Richman I don't know about the connotations in Japanese culture specifically, but in all forms of Japanese fictional media and literature, they have made pretty big deals out of holding hands. It's like showing signs of intimacy.

And people from the west have taken that nervousness they see in anime, manga, and novels, with all the blushing and hesitance it entails, and blew it up into basically "handholding = lewd"

I mean really, with how much blushing, stuttering, and awkward tension that appears when one side tries to request or take the initiative when it comes to handholding in anime/manga, you'd think that they were asking to have sex or something. I guess someone saw that, made a link, and that's where it came from?

Dex-chan lover
Dude, she already ignored all the other bases and skipped to handholding. What other evidence do you need?

Group Leader
@lolipedofin regarding the translation (these are just my thoughts, obviously every translator is different)
You are absolutely correct that that's the literal translation of the title, but imo it's far more important to sound good in the target language than to keep every little piece of the source material. In this case, the Japanese title is fairly concise but it gets wordy if put directly into English. I tried to shorten it down as best I could, and this is the result. "Horny" is a pretty liberal translation but "Cannot hide her sexual desire" isn't exactly mincing words either, so I felt it was acceptable.

Group Leader
@moegamisama I don't mind liberal translations that much actually. I would probably translate this a little differently than how you do it (for example, the OG title is mouthful, I don't see why the translation can't be the same) but isn't that the case with most things?

But if I can speak bluntly, the only thing I would probably most disagree in your translation is using "x" rather than "&", and the inconsistency between in the what the guy supposed to be, the raw title didn't change name of the male MC between ch 1 & 2, yet ch1 stays as "No Confidence" while in ch2, somehow it became "Nervous Guy". I know "Unuborenai" is not exactly the easiest word to translate to a single english word if you want it that way, but at least keep it the same between chapters to retain the integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread