Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha - Vol. 7 Ch. 35 - Negotiations

Dex-chan lover
Alright, I underestimated the dude. He actually squeezed far more money out of the vampire hunter than I could have ever guessed. I expected him to demand nothing, hoped for him to demand up to 600 gold, but 2000? No way. What a positive surprise.

Dex-chan lover
Bro, what is she gonna do with an entire goddamn tarasque. That's more material than one person could ever possibly use. Also, where the hell was she pulling those bags of money out from, she definitely was not carrying them when she came in
I mean, space magic bags exists in this world so I wouldn't doubt a gold rank adventurer have a bag capable of bringing those lol.

The value of money seem to change quite a bit. In Chapter 26, at page 11 both translations made it seems that just 1 platinum coin would have been enough to live comfortably.
But in this episode she says "It's 20 platinum coins that are each equivalent to 100 gold coins", which would make the exchange rate 1 platinum to 5 gold (the other translation up it to 1 platinum to 10 gold, but it isen't too different for the thought experiment).
With those rate, a tarrasque extermination would make 60-200 gold (12-40/6-20 platinum). Even divided between a party of five or six, at the lowest sell price, it would give at least a platinum coin.
But maybe adventurers want more than simply a quiet life. Let's see for someone else, someone more common, like a restaurant owner for example? Chapter 5, page 32. Loris says his restaurant has 15 gold of debt. So they are 3/1,5 platinum in debt. A sum that, by the words of a bronze level adventurer would allow him to leave for the rest of his life, is less than what a restaurant has accrued as debt. And he is expected to pay 3 gold coins (0,6/0,3 platinum) in a week?
The simple fact that entering the dungeon as a non-adventurer has the possibility of earning that much, in such a short amount of time (the MC never thought it would have been impossible, he just thought would have been suicidal going alone), would mean that with not a lot of time working that way people would be able to earn enough "to live comfortably".

All this to mean what? Fantasy economy does almost never make sense, and avoid stupid phrases as "it would allow me to play around for the rest of my life".

The value of money seem to change quite a bit. In Chapter 26, at page 11 both translations made it seems that just 1 platinum coin would have been enough to live comfortably.
But in this episode she says "It's 20 platinum coins that are each equivalent to 100 gold coins", which would make the exchange rate 1 platinum to 5 gold (the other translation up it to 1 platinum to 10 gold, but it isen't too different for the thought experiment).
With those rate, a tarrasque extermination would make 60-200 gold (12-40/6-20 platinum). Even divided between a party of five or six, at the lowest sell price, it would give at least a platinum coin.
But maybe adventurers want more than simply a quiet life. Let's see for someone else, someone more common, like a restaurant owner for example? Chapter 5, page 32. Loris says his restaurant has 15 gold of debt. So they are 3/1,5 platinum in debt. A sum that, by the words of a bronze level adventurer would allow him to leave for the rest of his life, is less than what a restaurant has accrued as debt. And he is expected to pay 3 gold coins (0,6/0,3 platinum) in a week?
The simple fact that entering the dungeon as a non-adventurer has the possibility of earning that much, in such a short amount of time (the MC never thought it would have been impossible, he just thought would have been suicidal going alone), would mean that with not a lot of time working that way people would be able to earn enough "to live comfortably".

All this to mean what? Fantasy economy does almost never make sense, and avoid stupid phrases as "it would allow me to play around for the rest of my life".
I have no idea how you got this result, it's 1 plat = 100 gold, there are 20 of them here = the 2k gold she promised

So, I've reread the part in question (page 27 of this chapter, the leftdown baloon of Loraine) and see where I've misunderstood. I saw it as 20 platinum are complexively worth 100 gold, making the 1 to 5 figure, instead of each 1 platinum value being 100 gold.

I made that comment a couple of months ago so I can't be 100% sure, but seeing the quote in question ("It's 20 platinum coins that are each equivalent to 100 gold coins") being still the same I would not attribute it to a later correction. More probably what happened was that I didn't noticed the "each" and instead went with the first read. But it is true that the other translation of the chapter put it at a 1 to 10 ratio (specifically "It's a platinum coin equal to 10 gold coins"). They must have forgot one 0, but when I checked it instead of thinking that possibility I considered it as another proof in the 1 to 5 figure, being in a similar order of magnitude.

Everything corrected, I still think that the original comment "1 platinum coin would have been enough to live comfortably" to be kinda weird. Keeping the restaurant event in mind, if we still consider 1 week reasonable to make 3 gold coins, to make 1 platinum it would take 33,3.. periodical week, not much more than half a year. Obviously more than what considered before, but if half a year of work would let someone live confortably for the rest of their life, isn't it still something really bloated?

Dex-chan lover
Glad he asked for compensation for the attack, it seems this manga has subverted a lot of tropes so far which is nice. Speaking of subverting tropes, I wonder when we'll see Rina again? She seemed important at the start.

But the MC is going back to his hometown? I'm going to guess we'll see more into the MC backstory with the adventurer and the other girl he hinted at in the previous chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread