Oda Nobunaga's Mysterious Profession Was Cheat Job From Magical Swordsman, So I Decided to Build a Kingdom - Vol. 8 Ch. 42

Dex-chan lover
it's a shit story.
No, it's a what-if retelling of a rather important bit of japanese history-gone-myffical on the basis of "what if Oda Nobunaga hadn't stepped into the pitfalls he did step in?"

The european variant would be "what if the Norman Kings hadn't fucked up and let the empire of Aquitaine break up the way it did?"
(Answer ( or at least, one possible outcome ) : You'd have had a "unified" european empire comprising most of the current EU.
(unfortunately Richard I was a musclebrain idiot, and John I earned his ulcers because of him. But at least he tried, for as much good as it did him.. Their successors fucked up even worse, losing large parts of France, and even the right to the french crown directly, and so any claim to the "german" Frankish Territories... Don't trust Shakespeare and Disney... )

It's not a shit story. It's on the same level as Shakespeare's "historical plays", read by an asian with no or little clues about who is doing what to whom, and who people are supposed to be, and how things actually happened historically as opposed to the events in the play.

Dex-chan lover
This series was weird. Had the overt tone of a standard, fantasy kingdom-building manga with a protagonist who acts like he's in those betrayal-heavy, intrigue/deception manhua. Perhaps realistic but tonally, felt inconsistent. I don't even know why he felt the need to plant the knife at the end.
Planting the knife was the camel to break the straws back. It allowed him justification to imprison/bury the brother in law, framing him as having absolutely terrible character.

Trying to bitterly kill his sister under pretense of surrender.

Had he just handed the throne over successfully, he would've still had political power and a chance to regain it if something happened to his sister and royal line. Or to build his own faction and undermine from within.

In the end it's just about cutting off all possible loose ends. It's also plausible that the attempted assassination could've been grounds to hang him as well.

Things got dangerously close from straying from a strategy focused story grounded(-ish) in some real life events and reasonable court intrigue into a run of the mill martial arts shounen title for whatever reason there. No idea why the author decide to include that antagonist ex machina at the eleventh hour and then time skip his way to the ending but it was nonetheless an interesting concept and execution overall.

Thanks for the translation.

Users who are viewing this thread