Official Meetup 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes location, it would be good to find where in the US has more Mangadex users who are *interested* in a meetup, in the east or the west?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@seekermoc
I'm liking the look of AWA.

@Shadowonwater
That's our next step. I was hoping to get more feedback from users who voted in the poll, but the few who've spoken up in this thread have convinced me that centering the meetup around a con is the best idea, if unfortunately expensive.

I'm a bit undecided how to further organize; is it better to ask where people are first and then choose a con based on that or should we provide a list of cons in several locations on each coast to see what the popular vote is? That's a rhetorical question for myself, but others can feel free to chime in with suggestions.

Contributor
@Zephyrus
Your best bet would probably be to list the major cons and dates in each location, have people weigh in, narrow it down to ten or so, and then put it to a vote. If you opt for it, voting should allow for multiple options so people can list all the cons they would be willing to attend instead of just their first choice. Also it might be a good idea to change the front page banner to the most current thread so it gets more eyes on it. I would personally either edit the current OP to emphasis that it's a meet-up centered around a con or make a new thread so people aren't overwhelmed with the all the choices.

Currently, it looks like Anime Expo, Colossal Con, and Anime Weekend Atlanta have the most traction.

Contributor
@teslacuil

It's only cheaper if you already have all the gear you need.

I'd also be worried, from an event host / liability perspective, of having to take care of people who want to camp, but have no idea what they're doing, and arrive utterly unprepared or hurt themselves during a "sponsored" event.

You're right that people who know what they're doing would be free to camp out in conjunction with the event on their own accord, but I think people are underestimating the logistics of actually hosting a camping event, and the potential consequences of coordinating such an event in an official capacity.

Double-page supporter
Take pictures so the non-US users can see what happened.

(South American user here. Can't go to the USA)

Group Leader
There is a 4 day con in Tampa, Florida called Metrocon. It has nothing free so you have to pay to see anything. It's pretty fun. Largest in the state. July 11-14 https://metroconventions.com/

Dex-chan lover
I really like the idea of Camp MangaDex. But unless it's near Chicago, I probably wouldn't be able to do any of this.

Maybe each year it'll be a different part of the country?

Contributor
Preferably not New York because people have said that's very expensive, but it might be nice to put it somewhere near Canada, so that some of us can trickle over the border and join in. I noticed quite a concentration of users in Toronto, so if it were somewhere near the border, a decent amount of Canadian attendance might be feasible.

And in the future, (very possibly the far future, which is fine) it would be nice if this came to other countries as well. I know it's been stated multiple times that people outside the US are free to organize their own meetups, but I find it rather unlikely that anything like this could ever get off the ground without the backing of mangadex staff. It would feel less official and I think that would make people feel more wary of it. (Side-note: if there's actually any interest, I'd be glad to help organize a meetup at the Montreal otakuthon.)

East coast? West coast? What about those of us living in the amber waves of grain?

I live in the mid-west, dunno how many other folks do too...

I'd be down for collosal-con in Sandusky, the Detroit con, maybe. Is there stuff happening in Texas? Like, Dallas or Austin?

Anime Weekend Atlanta is the best GA con IMO - I live in GA and have been to AWA, Momocon, and Dragoncon multiple times. AWA always has free big name Japanese concerts, an up-to-date vendor's hall, and plenty of 18+ panels.

I'm also going to Anime Expo for that sweet FGO content, so I'll be down for that too. ^^

Fed-Kun's army
A meetup on either coast would probably be prohibitively expensive for those of us in the middle of the US or Canada. It's still far for me but somewhere in the Midwest would be a good place.

Aggregator gang
I'm down to DM some tabletop games, or get some one shots going, I also smoke cigars and drink scotch. Men are men are men are men, no matter how weeb. Easier for me to travel during the summer since I have my kids every other week and can plan around it.

If it’s coming down to coasts I think the east coast is better. I live in the southern states but wouldn’t mind going to Chicago or Atlanta

I have very minimal con experience but I feel like going to an existing con would probably be the safest, cleanest, and probably most practical on our end.

Looking at the AWA website we could try to get a panel maybe for a designated time for MangaDex people to get together. Only thing is that will need to be organized and actually have substance other than being a big hang out to try to get it approved.

I’m excited to see what we all plan!

From looking at the map. A con in the middle of new york state would be best if such a con existed. It would let Canada folks come as well as the coastal ones meet mid way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread