Ogi-kun no Natsuyasumi - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Contributor
Going from "awww" to "um" to this chapter, "hrm." I was really excited to see a BL with an openly bisexual protagonist, with openly male preferences. So just erasing that because they needed an excuse to reject the girl without any questions is just hrmmmmmm... Like I legit don't know how many people don't know this, but you can be bisexual and just not like someone. Like, in real life, if you want to experiment with your sexuality and are not really sure, go for it. As long as you're respectful about it, whatever label makes you comfortable. But in fiction, it is just kind of annoying at this point to explicitly create a character that calls themselves bisexual only to have them reject someone on the basis of sex and like nothing else (hell, I would accept literally no reason instead. Sometimes you just don't see someone that way). Or that they were actually gay or straight all along and just didn't fully realize it. Yes, that is fine in real life, and it was relatable and or ground breaking the first two hundred times authors did that, but now it's just hrrrrmmmmmmmmm actual bisexuals please

Double-page supporter
So the next chapter won't be for a while but also the last two chapters won't be uploaded anywhere so the discord would need to be followed to know when the next chapter comes? Unless this series is gonna be more than 5 chapters?

Dex-chan lover
@Ceiya You'd be surprised on just how many people who lie about being bi or their other sexualities. No, not for attention. Its obvious that the protag was someone who was always denying himself since the first chapter so to expect him to be a "true bi" character wasn't going to happen. I'm saying this as a person who is bi too . He has even denied his own interests about how feminine he is.

That's why its annoying in fiction. We know more about the situation to see if they will continue to be "annoying" or grow. That's why there is called "character growth". To reject someone because of "sex" is something that will happen. Many are more interested in sex than romance. That's why there are aromantic people. I hate to say this but you are expecting a lot if you want something "groundbreaking" if you keep going by your own personal experiences and relating to that. Anything can be "ground-breaking" even if you haven't experienced those events in your own life.

I just feel that's a bit narrow-minded and having high expectations if you go by anything that relates to yourself when everyone has gone through many events in life. Maybe you aren't narrow-minded. Just that what you said in that opinion is. I'm not saying you are wrong and you freely disagree with me if you want. That's just me. Sorry if I sound too harsh or mean.

Contributor
@Ceiye @pink_rabbit

I do realize it's like a year later and probably no one remembers anything of what I'm talking about. Feel free to ignore this post XD

I mean, as a third view-point, I had taken it as simply that he himself is/has been/is possibly still uncertain about his exact own preferences (as real humans often are).

I'm not 100% confident because it's a subtle matter, but... Him saying he likes girls, but is having difficulty seeing himself... happy...(?) in a relationship with any particular one (and especially this particular one), doesn't mean he's not bi. I thought part of what he was saying this chapter is he also likes guys a bit more and his relations with the ones he likes feel a bit more magical and he doesn't want to miss out on that in his life, which also doesn't necessarily make him not bi.

(Like, by that sort of logic, for instance, straight folks who don't want to have romance or sex in their life for some reason would be aromantic / asexual. That's not how it works: Catholic priests aren't all aro-ace. That would lead to truly absurd results—like deeming those who break those vows suddenly straight/bi/gay?! Judging sexuality simply by whom someone considers date-able, doesn't hold up logically.)

Admittedly I am also coming from a position of feeling like it really should not be the business of anyone to gatekeep how bi is "true bi", generally. What's the point? Like, if you go that route, what do you want people to prove? Knowing in your head that you're attracted to both sexes isn't enough? What action is one required to take to prove it? Do you, say, need someone to plaster their walls with sexy photo-shoots to give you concrete hints about what's going on in their head?! XD No, thank you.

But—by the same token, it's also perfectly reasonable to decide to regard himself as just "gay" while having the whole story of the matter be more complicated that, and acknowledging it. These one-word terms really only go so far.

Anyway, getting back to the story: The conversation where he declares himself to not really like girls to the girl who has a crush on him, to the extent that it may be a convenient excuse, felt to me possibly like less a convenient excuse on the author's part to me, and more like a convenient excuse/simplification on his part—rather than trying to put into better words the whole bloody mess of his complicated feelings to the girl he's in the middle of rejecting (an act of cowardice? of kindness? certainly relatable, in any case: Rejecting someone you care about is not an easy thing to do right, moreso when things are messy like this). Which also means I'm dubious about it as being necessarily the final word on the matter of his sexuality—though it also could be. It's hard to say. (A lot has to be read between the lines here—I mean, this story seems to me to be sometimes going beyond the cliches and trying to reach for the actual gordian knot of real human feelings, and that means you don't get to say everything, because not everything can be articulated fully and accurately in words. Of course, I could always be giving the series too much credit :'p )

Having said all that, to what extent he's bi or gay has only tertiary relevance to the main relationship going on here, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect neither he nor the story may feel any urgency to revisit and dwell on the details here...

Again, apologies for dredging up dead conversation. It just seemed like a genuinely interesting and relevant topic, given what has happened so far in the comic. x_x;

Users who are viewing this thread