Oishinbo - Vol. 32 Ch. 293 - The Search for Condiments (Part 1)

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
888
There is one source of the kinako tuna story.

Supposedly, the story says that some generals went to a restaurant and requested a dish that's completely unheard of, hoping that it would give them inspiration to create a winning strategy against their enemies. The chef made this weird kinako tuna, and the general was pleased by this, and then repeatedly orders it as some kind of good luck meal. Other people heard about it, and then the food item spread.

The story is actually quoted from another blog, but the platform has been shut down so the original entry is not viewable. I can't find any archives or other platforms quoting the story.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Apr 7, 2024
Messages
307
There is one source of the kinako tuna story.

Supposedly, the story says that some generals went to a restaurant and requested a dish that's completely unheard of, hoping that it would give them inspiration to create a winning strategy against their enemies. The chef made this weird kinako tuna, and the general was pleased by this, and then repeatedly orders it as some kind of good luck meal. Other people heard about it, and then the food item spread.

The story is actually quoted from another blog, but the platform has been shut down so the original entry is not viewable. I can't find any archives or other platforms quoting the story.
That is an incredible find!
The blog summary makes it sound like something that happened in wartime Japan (whether Warring States or WWII), which is way, way earlier than I thought it would be. Or maybe it was rediscovered in later years with this commander general's story as inspiration.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
755
I like how the manga contains all of these people and stories and recipes that Kariya may have just heard about in passing, thrown in as things for Yamaoka to comment on... it feels like a relic of a truly pre-internet time.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
888
I was trying to poke around with the Wayback Machine with no luck. It's really too bad that the original blog post was dead, because it seemed like that one would have had more details about the story.

The blog I did find only summarised the bare bones because they probably expected us to read it for ourselves in the original link.

The URL said 2006, so I was thinking maybe if we had searched for this 10 years ago there would be more info. Many many blogging platforms in Japan had since shut down, and I myself lost so many bookmarked articles due to that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top