Oishinbo - Vol. 32 Ch. 294 - The Search for Condiments (Part 2)

Group Leader
Joined
Apr 7, 2024
Messages
309
So, the thing about these two chapters that intrigues me is, the daikon is apparently supposed to have some level of sharpness.
Looking online, it does seem like some people experience sharpness when eating daikon, which makes me wonder if it's to do with the variety of daikon? Cause I've never felt it before.
I suspect the modern, commercially available daikon may have had its sharpness bred out of it.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
895
Look at that, Kurita is actually standing up for Kaibara like he's her own father, ffffs. Like this is definitely author's intrusion, he does actually seriously think that Kaibara is doing some kind of grand benevolent act and he really wants us to agree with him. I side with Yamaoka there. Not firing Ryozo just because Yamaoka helped him is bare minimum decency. It's not some kind of heartfelt gesture that you go wow over.

So, the thing about these two chapters that intrigues me is, the daikon is apparently supposed to have some level of sharpness.
Looking online, it does seem like some people experience sharpness when eating daikon, which makes me wonder if it's to do with the variety of daikon? Cause I've never felt it before.
I suspect the modern, commercially available daikon may have had its sharpness bred out of it.

I searched about it before because it confused me too, and it did say that it depends on the season and which part of the daikon (the pointy tip is supposedly spicier). It makes me wonder if the daikon being planted elsewhere changes its components too, so maybe daikon not grown in Japan could taste different.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Apr 7, 2024
Messages
309
I searched about it before because it confused me too, and it did say that it depends on the season and which part of the daikon (the pointy tip is supposedly spicier). It makes me wonder if the daikon being planted elsewhere changes its components too, so maybe daikon not grown in Japan could taste different.
Kyoto is famous for is vegetables, seemingly because the quality of the soil there is different. They're so known for it that Kyoto vegetables are practically a category all on their own, so I wouldn't be surprised if that plays a part in it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top