Oishinbo - Vol. 37 Ch. 342 - A Living Jewel

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 24, 2024
Messages
535
This is just one of those chapters where me being a westerner (or at least not Japanese) is going to interfere with my enjoyment of it because I have different cultural values. I know that eating live creatures is not taboo there, but I just recoil at it, not because I object to the squid being eaten (I don't. I actually adore eating squid, this isn't the same sort of objection I had to the whaling arc), but because it's still alive when they eat it. I just have always believed that one should have the decency to off something quickly and as humanely as possible before stuffing it in your gob and munching on it.
 
Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2024
Messages
43
I think it's only in Japan you could eat seafood as if you pick and eat a fruit in a garden.

Also what's with that random sentences on page 173? :oops:

Nice work as always, thank you very much :D
 
Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Joined
Apr 15, 2026
Messages
39
Incredibly solid chapter that really took me back to the old days. Apart from the now obligatory slapstick, everyone was enjoyable, and this chapter reminded me why I liked and continue to like Tabata and Hanamura before they became solely dedicated to meddling with Kurita’s love life.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 24, 2024
Messages
535
Also what's with that random sentences on page 173? :oops:

I'll re-check it.

Okay, so the top panel, I assumed was someone complaining about how dark it was since that was brought up on the previous page... I know it looks a little wonky but if that's what it was, I'm not good enough to fix the wording properly on a black background like that without really fucking with the art. Mugiwara may be able to improve on that when his TL gets to this chapter.

I'm not sure what the random commentary on the bottom right panel was meant to convey. Like yeah, of course the part underwater is less when you raise the net. So, the meaning beats me.
 
Last edited:
Active member
Joined
Sep 5, 2024
Messages
80
I actually have these regularly. They taste better than the bigger ones.
My favorite way of enjoying them is lightly steamed paired with a citrusy salt. Add some chili you like spicyness.
People should really be steaming seafood more. It keeps the freshness and you dont need to eat a live animal. Though i have tried live squid before. They are super delicious.
The meat is super bouncy and sweet paired with the saltiness of the seawater with the richness of the innard.
The fresher the squid is the better the innards. After an hour or so it will get pretty fishy and bitter
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
901
I'm no good with the taste of raw things, so it's not for me. I have somewhat sensitive tastebuds, and even the best sashimi just taste too strong.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top