One Day Outing Foreman - Vol. 14 Ch. 107 - Straight-Man

Dex-chan lover
This chapter is a collab between Foreman and one half of the Manzai duo Savanna, Shigeo Takahashi.
54332.jpg

Japanese comedy relies on certain techniques and set-ups, such as the Straight-Man/Funny-Man combo. The Funny-Man makes a joke or acts weird, and the Straight-Man notices it and plays off of it to the audience. The Mac and PC ads of the 2000s is a good example of this:

The difference between Numakawa's tsukkomi or S-M act and Koshi's, is that while he picks up on the joke, he doesn't throw it back and play it through like, say, a talk show host would. Jimmy Fallon, the fake laughing desk slapping dude who most people hate, is someone who follows through and sells the jokes well. He's receptive to the joke which makes the joke-teller feel good about themselves - it's risk-free advertising which never fails.

Numakawa's been doing the S-M act since the beginning of the manga, but as you may have noticed, all he is does is the D: face and say, "what the hell?!" and that's why he can't win over the old geezers like Takakoshi.

Okay here we go

gjG7Eyt.jpeg

pg.1, Foreman says that the boys up north (above ground) sent them someone from Kyoto down to 'Edo'. In the old days, goods like sake, grains, spices, fabrics, etc. sent from Kansai (Kyoto+Osaka) were said to be of the highest quality. They call these things Kudarimono 下りもの, made up of the words 'handed down' and 'thing'. If you know of the word Kudaranai 下らない, this is a contraction of くだらないもの which means a thing that's not from Kansai, and therefore is sub-par and inferior. Nowadays it means rubbish, nonsense, ridiculous, etc.

Also on pg.1, Odagiri has a mandarin orange sitting atop of a beer can. This is one of the first puns you learn in Japanese if you're a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dajare
アルミ缶の上にあるみかん (arumi kan no ue ni aru mikan)Dashare
A tangerine on an aluminum can.

pg.4, Foreman calls the Hanko (a seal stamp used in Asia in lieu of a signature) a Hankou. This is one spans 20 years back in the original Kaiji manga.

FN3h5_ZVkAIImuH

It's normally just ハンコ, but Fukumoto wrote it as ハンコー. It's possibly a mistake, and this chapter retcon's it as though it's been a long-running dad joke all along.

pg.5, Koshi points out that the heading on the "incentives" board is too far to the left.

FN3h6BfVIAMgkXT

FN3jv7YVcAYlhms

It is thought to have been done on purpose so that they could fit in a though bubble all the way back in....chapter-freaking-4?! Oh my lord.

R42eKlk.jpeg

Also on pg.5, Foreman Itai makes a rock pun.
He says, "oh there's another hard ganban (bedrock)"
and then he says "ganban nai to/ganbaranai to" which means: "if we don't work hard (we won't be able to break it down)

pg.8, Odagiri tells Koshi a joke. the original is a pun
I6U40QO.png

布団が吹っ飛んだ (Futon ga futtonda)
Futon was blown away.
I just wrote down a pun that everyone knows to replace it. It serves the same purpose I think.

vG2tbMu.png

pg.15, Koshi shows 3 reactions, all in Kansai-ben.
The middle one is the one I'm especially proud of. I needed to find something which rhymed with "Sawajiri Erika karakkishi perica" with around the same amount of syllables.
Erika Sawajiri - Perica Cash theory. Thematically matches and sounds almost the same as the Japanese.

pg. 15+16, the comedian shows up again. He enters the scene making train noises which can be explained in Tonegawa chapter 50. Let's make a detour.
Tonegawa chp.50, pg.12,

89DsV71.jpeg

Okan-otan is the onomatopoeia for the train carriage passing through a section of rail. It appears to be mainly used by Osakans, and was featured in a "Downtown" skit where an announcer was making the noises while the actors in the skit tried not to laugh. Does it remind you of Silent Library? Well, that's where the idea comes from.

So this joke, instead of the buh-bum, buh-bum...buh-bum, buh-bum sound a train makes on the tracks, the co-parenting train makes a mo-mom mo-mom, da-dad da-dad sound.

bzsrklg.jpeg

Tonegawa 50, pg.11, the joke is that he starts off as a straight-laced weather forecaster but suddenly breaks out into a dance. The crux of this joke lies in how it sounds:

ashita no tenki wa hare tokidoki kumori
tokoro ni yori, Dance tonight!

and my translation:
sometimes cloudy
let's get rowdy
The parallelism in the translation is key while keeping the original style and meaning.

Tonegawa 50, pg.18

BAAZi1t.jpeg

Bra bra, braaaa
BRAAAAA!
What do you think?
It's Beethoven's Symphony No.5, the sound effect when someone makes a big reveal.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Shocked that they brought back the comedian that's so funny. Hope you are doing well and the break allowed you to get your mind off of things, glad to be reading more and thanks for the hard work as always!
Oh hey, thanks for popping by :meguupog:
With the way that I'm wired, I don't know if the break was good for me or not. Either way, full grind to the current chapter starts now

Dex-chan lover
Jesus lmaooooo this had me cackling like a demon at 2 am
Was very much looking forward to TL notes on this one and sheesh, the amount of work you do to keep it funny in translation is insurmountable! I also like how you explain the original funni without killing off the fun part of it
Glad to see the great return of the og comedian, too :D Nobody show undertale to Tonegawa pls, it appeals to his sans of humour.
Thank you so much for feeding us so well~

Dex-chan lover
fun chapter, and great work with the translation and TL notes! i never thought about the apple/pc ads being like a tsukkomi/boke routine. i really like reading about manzai competitions and such, definitely something i'd love to learn enough japanese to enjoy directly.

Users who are viewing this thread