Oogami-san, Dadamore Desu - Vol. 6 Ch. 28 - Worry! Young Lady

Double-page supporter
You know, if there was some way to, I don't know, communicate things, maybe things wouldn't be so hard, huh? Oh, wait..

Contributor
This chapter pisses me off. What are you supposed to do, just stop living your life once the sun sets? Obviously it depends on the area but this backwards "women shouldn't be out late" thinking really rubs me the wrong way.

MMMMMMMMMMMM

GIRL! WHY YOU PLAYIN YOUR MAN LIKE THIS?

HOW CAN YOU TRUST THIS RANDOM HOE MORE THAN YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER?!

Dex-chan lover
Chapter 2: "I never had a friend"
Chapter 9: she was assaulted on her workplace
Chapter 10: he save her from the creepy guys at the beach

The problem is that she sees herself as the predator in their relationship and consequently doesn't see other males as a possible danger...

Dex-chan lover
I can't really say I blame either of them.

Yaginuma knows the truth of Mone and wants to warn Oogami about it because he cares about her.
But Oogami doesn't really trust him because 1. Mone is a childhood "friend" & 2. It's kinda like... She's known Mone a lot longer than he does. So she thinks that that one side of her's,the one that wants to hang out,is her true side when she hasn't even seen her other side.

Did that make sense? I tried.

Dex-chan lover
Chick looks way too much like a dude. Also I was never any good at crosswords.

Group Leader
@Choco_Pudding yeah but I do think some of this is cultural. Like, Japan is ironically known to be one of the safest countries statistics wise, but it's also well known that it's not as safe as it appears due to cultural/social structure making it very difficult for victims of certain crimes to come forward. Sex crimes especially are hard to deal with in the Japanese culture because the culture does create a bit of a bystander effect. People are more hesitant to step in even if they are witnessing abuse because it's awkward, and the cultural shame is a lot heavier than it is in western countries so victims would rather stay silent than be affected by that on top of the assault. (Or so I've researched.)
My western brain also gets irked by this mentality, because I fully believe Oogami could handle herself just like any other woman and they really don't need anyone telling them what they can and cannot do, but in the same breath I also knowledge it is at least coming from a good place. Yaginuma is not being the overbearing controlling boyfriend. He does not voice these concerns because he wants to control Oogami. He voices these concerns because he does have to some degree a valid point, it is risky for women in particular to be out late like that, but I would argue the risk is nowhere near high enough to warrant locking yourself in as soon as the sun sets. Be aware of your surroundings sure, but you don't need to just "not go out".

All in all though, I think the intent really needs to be factored in. Yaginuma's intent is only to keep Oogami safe, which is a nice gesture even if he's not exactly wording it or going about it the best way.

Dex-chan lover
So I guess in late chapters this hypocrit "middle school friend" will touch our MC and blabb what's really on her mind and truth will be revealed

Double-page supporter
noooo everything was just going so well pls dont hurt me like this ;-;

Double-page supporter
I'm in complete agreement with Pudding. You can't stop living your life because it's more dangerous. Rather than telling her not to go out at night, maybe offer to go with her(if that's viable; don't remember how far apart they live).

Dex-chan lover
I guess that Mone really hated being labeled perverted demon in middle school, for mingling with Oogami.

Contributor
@gomichandesu Oh no, I do understand that this "women can't be out after dark" mentality is just another facet of Japanese living. My dad is from Bangladesh, where the worries are a lot more warranted, and even with me growing up in an extremely safe Canadian city (where the sun sets just after 4 PM in the winter) he freaks out when I'm out after dark and starts trying to convince my Canadian mom to drive out and get me (and she of course will have none of it, lol).
In both my real case and this fictional one, the actions are well-intended.
But that doesn't mean the mentality irks me any less, especially knowing that "stranger in the bushes" assault is so much less common than assault from someone you know (and usually trust).
I never doubted that Yaginuma was well-intentioned and genuinely concerned, I just found it really noticeable that all of the comments before mine were giving Oogami shit like she's the only one overreacting here. This all started because she was just out living her life and taking advantage of a good DVD sale, and Yaginuma got pissed about it because he was worried about all of the rapists that supposedly crawl into the bushes at night to ambush young girls.
His thinking is really common for Japanese people, but that doesn't make it acceptable for me when an English-speaking audience that I assume to be majority western acts like it's rational.

Group Leader
@Choco_Pudding
Ah I see, I didn't read a lot of the older comments so that makes sense. Like I said, I agree. It rubs me the wrong way too, but I also understand the cultural context (As do you, it seems lol)

Honestly Yaginuma should have come across more as "I'm just afraid for you" rather than "you shouldn't do that" lol. Though Oogami herself even seems to acknowledge she knows where he's coming from when she says "On one hand I'm happy he's treating me like a girl" which we all know is nihongo manga translation for "I'm happy he's concerned about me and wants to protect me"
They both have valid arguments and it is sweet how they're handling their first "fight".
(My prediction, Yaginuma gon expose 2 faced friend by touching her lol, or she gon expose herself by touching Yagi)

Contributor
@gomichandesu probably the friend will touch him, since he's pretty much hard-wired not to touch anyone without their permission.
It would be interesting if the friend actually likes Oogami, and is just desperate to fit in by making fun of her with the people that used to bully her. I'm not sure how likely that is, especially considering that it looked like she brought the subject of Oogami up with those friends all on her own, but it would be a cute little twist.
Alternatively, her growing to like Oogami and feel bad for talking behind her back would be cute too.

Dex-chan lover
Firstly, def thought that chick was a dude until they did the full body shot and I was like, OH DAMN

secondly, anyone else think the main characters are equally annoying? This is some awkward fucking manga

Dex-chan lover
For real why doesn't blonde have a boyfriend

She wants one, she was introduced as one of the prettiest girls in the school with a fun personality that made Oogami feel like she wasn't appealing. How's she single?

Double-page supporter
Bitch wtf?....😧 time to begone thot her.
Author really like making things complicated for no reason. Makes me think is there even love in between them or just some desires.

Users who are viewing this thread